Premiership predictions 17/18

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Premiership predictions 17/18

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Aug 2017, 11:22

Hard to see past Chelsea. I think a very good squad just got stronger.

I’m a bit confused by Man Citys transfer policy and I don’t feel they’ve strengthened enough in defence. A title challenge will surely be expected but I think they will fall short.

Man Utd will grind out results. Lukaka could make a big difference so I think they will be the closest challengers

I feel Liverpool really need to make 2 or 3 more signings, specifically in defence and midfield. Bit worrying that Moreno will be competing with Robertson for the left back berth.

1. Chelsea
2. Man Utd
3. Man City
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2017, 11:48

Goat Boy wrote:Hard to see past Chelsea. I think a very good squad just got stronger.

I don't think Morata is as good as Costa.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2017, 11:52

Toby wrote:It's entirely feasible that West Ham could have a shocking start to the season and Bilic is not at all safe in terms of his position.

I'm not convinced by Bilic, West Ham looked so disorganised at times last season. You have bought well though; Hernandez, in particular, is a steal in today's market.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Aug 2017, 12:30

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Hard to see past Chelsea. I think a very good squad just got stronger.

I agree but he offers more mobility and obviously less bullshit off the pitch.

I think the team might be strong enough that Costas absence won't be noticed
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Aug 2017, 14:32

7th - Arsenal
15th - West Brom

Not sure about the others
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Aug 2017, 15:12

The Modernist wrote:West Ham....have bought well though; Hernandez, in particular, is a steal in today's market.

There must be something the 'professionals' know that us mere mortals don't G, I agree. It's not the first time he appears to have gone very cheaply. For a guy with his goalscoring record, and proven in the EPL, it is strange.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2017, 18:08

Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

I agree but he offers more mobility and obviously less bullshit off the pitch.

I think the team might be strong enough that Costas absence won't be noticed

From what I've seen, which isn't admittedly a big amount, Morata's movement has been pretty unimpressive. I would certainly agree with the second part of your statement though! :)

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 09 Aug 2017, 19:23

I hope they keep up these Friday night games for the season, like have a proper amount. Hitting the public house straight after work to watch your football team play would be awesome.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 09 Aug 2017, 19:24

Yes.
Stoke v Watford on a Friday night is a proper night out!
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 09 Aug 2017, 19:29

WG Kaspar wrote:Yes.

I said "your team" not just any teams. Although you'd need an hours drinking time before that match to make it watchable. I'll probably need an hours drinking time after Liverpool match a good few times this season.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 09 Aug 2017, 19:30

The Great Defector wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:Yes.

I said "your team" not just any teams. Although you'd need an hours drinking time before that match to make it watchable. I'll probably need an hours drinking time after Liverpool match a good few times this season.

You're being harsh. You'll do just fine.
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 09 Aug 2017, 22:24

Try being a Liverpool fan, we've been hurt before :( .

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 09 Aug 2017, 23:02

The Great Defector wrote:Try being a Liverpool fan, we've been hurt before :( .

No, I think I'd rather watch.
I run out of talent

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Aug 2017, 16:32

Burnley on course to start the season superbly as are Huddersfield...

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 12 Aug 2017, 17:51

It's in the bag.
The rest of them might as well just jack it in now.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Aug 2017, 10:40

A bit sad that no-one else seemed to comment on last week's games. Thought it was wonderfully entertaining on the whole, even if the Hammers got absolutely smashed. Spurs, United and City undoubted early frontrunners whilst Arsenal and Liverpool were predictably loose defensively. LOL at Chelsea, although I'm sure they'll start purring soon enough.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Aug 2017, 12:17

I'm always reluctant to comment early in the season because people see false dawns, world conquerors, disasters and the new Messi every single season.

Yes Man U looked good. But West Ham were pathetic - they should have looked good.

Chelsea were down to 10 and then 9 men - Burnley took full advantage and were helped by the crucial 'wonder goal' by their left back Ward to make it 2-0. In the end, they only won by one.... against nine men. Credit to them but I don't see it's the end of Chelsea, as some seem to already be shouting from the rooftops.

Man City were ordinary until they scored - don't forget, they won their first six last season and some were giving the title before the end of September.

Spurs were probably the best team - away and up against 55, 000 home teams, they absolutely cruised it and never once looked in danger. If they can get a couple of players, they are going to be tough to beat (Wembley or not).

Arsenal looked okay but does anyone think they're going to be challenging for the title? No.

Liverpool did fine and are going to have a similar season to last season. There's no way I can see them truly in the hunt either.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Aug 2017, 13:15

West Ham were appalling. We're not playing at home until the middle of September either which is worrying, given that we usually have slow starts to the season.

I thought Morata looked very good when he came on and I'm intrigued to see how Spurs vs Chelsea is like next week - that's already a huge game.

Arsenal - again, early doors but Lacazette is off and running with goals, which might be significant. They were pretty decent against Chelsea the week before, and that game also showed that I think Leicester will be dangerous too.

NMB

Postby NMB » 16 Aug 2017, 14:31

Diamond Dog wrote:Spurs were probably the best team - away and up against 55, 000 home teams.

11 men against 605,000 and they still won!
turn on, tune in, nod off

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Aug 2017, 14:56

I'm waiting until the window is over before making any predictions, but at the moment I can't really see Chelsea in the top four this season. They have a rather thin squad.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Sporting Life”