Premiership predictions 17/18

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Premiership predictions 17/18

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Aug 2017, 15:06

Toby wrote:I thought Morata looked very good when he came on and I'm intrigued to see how Spurs vs Chelsea is like next week - that's already a huge game. .

Relatively important. Not huge. No one ever played a huge league game in August.

Toby wrote:Arsenal - again, early doors but Lacazette is off and running with goals, which might be significant. They were pretty decent against Chelsea the week before, and that game also showed that I think Leicester will be dangerous too.

Not if Shakespeare keeps making substitutions like that! Crazy - in the lead, at least having a fair share of control, 10 minutes to go... bring off a midfield player and put on a forward, conceding the one area of the pitch Arsenal will dominate you in? Nuts.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Aug 2017, 11:41

You could argue that Arsenal's defeat to Liverpool last season on the first day cost them a Champions League place.

The margins I imagine will be the same here. Certainly for Conte this game is huge because the signs are that he isn't happy. Why did he start with Batshauyi last week and not Morata?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 17 Aug 2017, 12:08

Toby wrote:It's entirely feasible that West Ham could have a shocking start to the season and Bilic is not at all safe in terms of his position.

:D
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Aug 2017, 12:43

Toby wrote:You could argue that Arsenal's defeat to Liverpool last season on the first day cost them a Champions League place.

You could argue that for any game Arsenal lost. It's three points.

No one won the league in August and no one has lost the league in August yet either.

Yes it's a relatively important game but no more so than the other 9 that weekend, it really isn't. It's this kind of hype that really grates with me - it's all Sky News chatter, to sell games that - come May- very few will remember. Do you recall anyone on the last game of last season saying "Christ, if Arsenal hadn't lost to Liverpool on the first day of the season, they'd be in the Champions League now"? I certainly don't.

Toby wrote:Certainly for Conte this game is huge because the signs are that he isn't happy. Why did he start with Batshauyi last week and not Morata?

After one game, you know Conte isn't happy? Based on what exactly?

He didn't start Morata because he was carrying an injury and they thought the most they could get was 45 minutes. Hence him coming on as sub. Who do you think will start next game?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Aug 2017, 17:03

Toby wrote:Certainly for Conte this game is huge because the signs are that he isn't happy.

Yes he looks really unhappy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40979887
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Aug 2017, 17:55

Toby wrote:Certainly for Conte this game is huge because the signs are that he isn't happy. Why did he start with Batshauyi last week and not Morata?

Diamond Dog wrote:After one game, you know Conte isn't happy? Based on what exactly?

He didn't start Morata because he was carrying an injury and they thought the most they could get was 45 minutes. Hence him coming on as sub. Who do you think will start next game?

Come again?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Aug 2017, 08:33

But seriously - Spurs played very well and could easily have won. But credit to Chelsea - they battled and took their chances and were worthy winners, always looking dangerous in possession. They certainly didn't look like a team in turmoil.

Aresnal are a different matter - I'm not sure what Wenger thinks he's doing but... if you play a midfield player at right wing back, a right back at left wing back, two left backs as two of three centre halves (and keep Mertesacher & Holding on the bench)..... tthen you really shouldn't be too surprised that fans fail to appreciate your tactical acumen when you lose.

Man Utd's scoreline flattered them, but two 4-0 victories isn't to be sniffed at. But West Ham & Swansea are poor sides so let's not get carried away.....
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 Aug 2017, 08:42

I am starting to dislike Arsenal.

Sure, Man City and Chelsea are the ones who've been bought out by the oligarchs and turned into fake clubs, while Man Utd and Liverpool are the ones with the unpleasant arrogant, entitled attitude, but at least they are trying to win things to keep the fans happy and (in City and maybe Liverpool's case) play exciting football.

Arsenal are run as a business and the only thing they give a shit about is maintaining their healthy cashflow. It has been obvious for ages that a shakeup is needed and that they are lagging behind the genuinely good teams, but the board don't care. Giving Wenger a new contract despite all the problems was basically an admission that they just wanted to maintain the status quo. It's not like they'll go down or anything, but it seems that the problems we've all known about for ages are just growing.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Aug 2017, 09:17

I've commented before that Stan Kroenke (the owner of the LA Rams, which is where I know of him from) is a money man. He couldn't give a shit about anything as long as his francises are making money. He employed Jeff Fisher (the worst win-loss ratio coach in American Football history, I think) for years at LA (St Louis as it was) before giving him a three year extension.... and then sacking him four games later (I would love to know what Fisher did to force him into that action, I really would).

As long as Arsenal are turning over a nice profit, Wenger is bulletproof.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Aug 2017, 16:50

Thought Spurs were unlucky yesterday but that a win would have flattered them. Certainly Chelsea looked like last season's side at times, particularly Alonso and Luiz. Bakayoko adds a muscular presence to their midfield as well.

All I can say about West Ham is that at least Hernandez has got off the mark. If results don't improve then Bilic will be gone by October I reckon.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Aug 2017, 11:22

Bilic might be gone by the end of September.

Thought Liverpool were outstanding yesterday - I like the look of Salah; very fast and should really have had a hat-trick. Their midfield isn't the most creative but they can run all day - both Can and Wijnaldum seem to have upped their game.

Everton were toothless against Chelsea. They need a striker and someone with pace.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2017, 11:35

I'm not making excuses for Everton but Thurs-Mon-Thurs-Sun schedule is a bit of a killer (with the last three being away games). But yes we do need a striker - maybe Costa?

Liverpool were good but Arsenal were beyond pathetic. I really wouldn't draw too much from that. I still think they may lack the guile to unlock teams setting out to stop them, rather than attacking them.
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Aug 2017, 12:11

Really happy with the mighty pool against the arsenal. Fuck these international breaks so close to after the season starting.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Sep 2017, 18:55

Diamond Dog wrote:I've commented before that Stan Kroenke (the owner of the LA Rams, which is where I know of him from) is a money man. He couldn't give a shit about anything as long as his francises are making money. He employed Jeff Fisher (the worst win-loss ratio coach in American Football history, I think) for years at LA (St Louis as it was) before giving him a three year extension.... and then sacking him four games later (I would love to know what Fisher did to force him into that action, I really would).

As long as Arsenal are turning over a nice profit, Wenger is bulletproof.

This is an interesting read about Kroenke :

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... geles-rams

You think it can't get any worse at Arsenal?!
Cocaine

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 06 Sep 2017, 20:36

They are wrong about the Denver Nuggets though. They were always shit and have improved under him.
I run out of talent

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 08 Sep 2017, 08:40

Big games for both Palace and West Ham this weekend. I can see Bilic being sacked whatever happens in the next month or so - it looks like he's lost the dressing room.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Sep 2017, 18:38

Toby wrote:Big games for both Palace and West Ham this weekend. I can see Bilic being sacked whatever happens in the next month or so - it looks like he's lost the dressing room.

I know it's an unfamiliar stadium, but surely there's a map...

anyway, I mainly wanted to post this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... livan-gold

Looks like he's going out with a grin on his face
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Oct 2017, 17:18

Diamond Dog wrote:While we're here... let's have a separate choice of first EPL manager to leave the job (in whichever manner).

I'm going to go for Clement at Swansea (closely followed by Shakespeare at Leicester).

Oh so close...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41656917
Cocaine

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 17 Oct 2017, 17:47

Koeman to follow?
I run out of talent

Diamond Dog