England Make A World Cup Final Since 1966

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Dr Markus

England Make A World Cup Final Since 1966

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Jun 2017, 15:30

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40202212

England reached the final of the Under-20 World Cup for the first time by coming from behind to beat Italy.

Good sign for the future of English football, even if only a handful of players go on to have big careers.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Re: England Make A World Cup Final Since 1966

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Jun 2017, 19:47

None of youse English supporters happy about this? Surely a bit of a good sign for the future.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 13 Jun 2017, 20:59

The Great Defector wrote:None of youse English supporters happy about this? Surely a bit of a good sign for the future.

Indifference on my part.

I much prefer watching Liverpool than England, what I'm happiest about is that Dominic Solanke, the player of the tournament is due to sign for us on July 1st.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Jun 2017, 21:30

You know anything about him

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Jun 2017, 13:02

I watched most of the england games - was very pleased with how they performed and was absolutely ecstatic about there being 4 Everton players in the World Cup Final team.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 14 Jun 2017, 17:34

The Great Defector wrote:None of youse English supporters happy about this? Surely a bit of a good sign for the future.

It's nice, sure, but teams often do well in youth tournaments before fading. Venezuela were England's opponents in the final and their senior team has never even qualified for the World Cup so I don't think anyone's expecting their youngsters to be a golden generation or anything.
And given what usually happens to young English players, in three years' time six of them will be on Chelsea's books but out on loan in the Netherlands, three will be at a team who finish 9th in the Championship, and the other two will be turning out regularly for Man Utd or Liverpool but getting ripped to pieces by opponents and their own fans whenever they pull on an international shirt.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 14 Jun 2017, 20:43

The Great Defector wrote:You know anything about him

No - just that he's a good prospect. Heard that too many times about young players that we've bought.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Jun 2017, 20:38

Losing to penalties against Germany! WTF is it with the English losing on penalties to Germany.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 27 Jun 2017, 21:11

The Great Defector wrote:Losing to penalties against Germany! WTF is it with the English losing on penalties to Germany.

A tradition.
Very fitting I guess.
I run out of talent

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Jun 2017, 21:17

To be fair losing to Germany on penalties isn't exclusively an English thing.

And the Germans were much the better team throughout - it really shouldn't have gone to overtime, let alone penalties.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”