Which Rule Changes Would You Like To See In Football?

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry

Which rule changes would you like to see in football?

Retrospective punishment for diving
29%
Captains only - Only the captain can speak to the referee to contest a decision
18%
Celebrate as you wish - No more bookings for a player taking his shirt off or going into the crowd while celebrating
5%
Recording conversations with referees
11%
Managers have three chances per game to send a decision to a video referral
11%
The team of referee, two assistants and a fourth official would be consistent from week to week
No votes
A straight red card is given for any dissent towards referees
11%
Players are sent to a sin bin for 10 minutes if they receive a first yellow card
8%
If players contest a free-kick decision, the team who have won the free-kick can move the ball forward 10 yards
3%
Managers can make rolling substitutions, bringing players off and on (up to 7 per game)
No votes
Managers are allowed two time-outs per game for two minutes
No votes
Scrap the offside rule
3%
Games are 70 minutes in length, but an independent timekeeper stops the clock each time play is stopped or the ball goes out of play
3%

Total votes: 38

Dr Markus

Which Rule Changes Would You Like To See In Football?

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Mar 2017, 14:31

If it was up to you, which rules would you bring into the game, and which would you scrap? Are offsides an unnecessary nuisance? Should players really be booked for taking their shirt off? And who exactly should be allowed to complain to the referee?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/10809732/vote-which-rule-changes-would-you-like-to-see-in-football
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbly

Re: Which Rule Changes Would You Like To See In Football?

Postby Jimbly » 22 Mar 2017, 23:15

I'd bring in that you can only support a team that you've actually seen play a home game.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 23 Mar 2017, 06:53

Jeemo wrote:I'd bring in that you can only support a team that you've actually seen play a home game.

I'm in a more comfortable position than most Australians supporting an English team then :lol: :lol:

I'm a fan of the captains only thing, the rushing of the referee is something I despise.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Mar 2017, 09:56

If we really want to nail the dissent - put a camarea on the ref and make it clear that retrospective action will be taken against those that act in an unacceptable fasion (including referees). It would stop overnight, trust me.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 23 Mar 2017, 11:58

None of those listed, most of which seem to be based on making it easier for TV.
And by the by, football doesn't have rules, it has laws, a semantic distinction some find important.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Mar 2017, 11:59

Only three options allowed, but the ones I think would improve the situation are all the first six and maybe the moving the ball forward one. Like K says, I don't see why the team who committed the foul get so many privileges in free-kick situations.

Retrospective punishment for diving is a big one - as is actually enforcing the existing rule of yellow cards for diving. It really bugs me when referees see and acknowledge dives yet take no action. They don't need to stop play, but they can certainly show a yellow at the next stoppage as they normally would following an advantage being played.

Only the captain being allowed to speak to the referee would make a big difference not only to how the games are played, but to the viewers' enjoyment, too. A lot of people find it very offputting when Chelsea or Barcelona or whoever yet again swamp the referee at the slightest perceived wrong.

And as the biggest problem with video technology is that one risks the game becoming too stop-start, then the suggestion that there are a limited number of reviews available, as in cricket, is a good one; it should be more consistently and universally implemented than in cricket, though, as the system in that sport is hampered by changing from series to series and country to country.

One rule I would also introduce is penalty goals for, eg, handballs on the goalline. It wouldn't happen too often but it'd prevent miscarriages of justice like the famous Suarez handball v Ghana.

And also - any player going down injured must leave the pitch for at least three minutes for treatment. That'd hopefully reduce the practice of feigning injury to get opponents into trouble.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Mar 2017, 12:01

I think there's definitely room for an "orange" card somewhere.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Mar 2017, 12:31

PENK wrote:Only three options allowed .

I thought it would make people choose the laws they really want rather than just agreeing to all or most of them. Because 90% would help the game no end.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Mar 2017, 13:29

I'd like to see a change in the time keeping, and a move to the American Football/ Basketball model where, if the ball isn't actually in play, the clock stops. A very quick end to the thirty seconds for every Pulis run team to take every throw in, goal kick etc and also the 90-120 seconds we lose for every free kick where a wall is built. The ball is actually in play for only around 55 minutes anyway - let's make it an hour and stop the time wasting.
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 08 Apr 2017, 16:53

Here's another suggestion: stop giving the goalkeeper a free kick any time any attacking player dares to challenge him for a high ball.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 03 May 2017, 13:46

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Jun 2017, 17:10

Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to see a change in the time keeping, and a move to the American Football/ Basketball model where, if the ball isn't actually in play, the clock stops. A very quick end to the thirty seconds for every Pulis run team to take every throw in, goal kick etc and also the 90-120 seconds we lose for every free kick where a wall is built. The ball is actually in play for only around 55 minutes anyway - let's make it an hour and stop the time wasting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.

Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

Lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) says matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

The idea is one of several put forward in a new strategy document designed to address football's "negativities".
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 19 Jun 2017, 18:43

Immediately send off cheating diving fucks. Especially those ones that roll around like half-dead insects.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jun 2017, 23:29

Diamond Dog wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I'd like to see a change in the time keeping, and a move to the American Football/ Basketball model where, if the ball isn't actually in play, the clock stops. A very quick end to the thirty seconds for every Pulis run team to take every throw in, goal kick etc and also the 90-120 seconds we lose for every free kick where a wall is built. The ball is actually in play for only around 55 minutes anyway - let's make it an hour and stop the time wasting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.

Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

Lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) says matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

The idea is one of several put forward in a new strategy document designed to address football's "negativities".

I hope not. I'd rather watch a longer game with some dead time.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jun 2017, 05:51

You still get the dead time. It's just not a part of the 'active' game. They can 'waste' as much time as they like - it's not going to achieve anything.
Cocaine

joklend

Postby joklend » 25 Feb 2018, 16:01

None of the above. Scrapping the offside rule seems to be a popular one with people who have no idea about the game at all. Tom Huddlestone would be the best player in the world if that were to happen.

I would consider allowing the ball to go out of play from a corner. We might get interesting corners then, instead of now when usually a goal is only scored from a major defensive error.

joklend

Postby joklend » 25 Feb 2018, 16:04

I might like to see retrospective punishment for diving, actually.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Feb 2018, 00:04

Not a rule change, but I would scrap one point for goalless draws. If you fail to score you shouldn't get anything.

Retrospective punishment for diving -Yes, agree.

Captains only - Only the captain can speak to the referee to contest a decision
- Seems sensible. Yes

Celebrate as you wish - No more bookings for a player taking his shirt off or going into the crowd while celebrating - It's a bit annoying, but why do players need to take off their shirts in the place? So no.

Recording conversations with referees
-Yes, it might make referees a bit more accountable. There's very rarely the clarity from football referees that there is from rugby referees.

Managers have three chances per game to send a decision to a video referral - No because I don't think it's the manager's place to directly influence what's happening on the pitch in that way. I also think relaying the request from the sidelines might over-complicate things. However I would have a similar system where the captain can have two referrals per game. Three is too many.

The team of referee, two assistants and a fourth official would be consistent from week to week -This isn't a rule change is it? It's not as if the current laws state "the referee should be as inconsistent as possible".

A straight red card is given for any dissent towards referees - No. Some referees would try the patience of a saint.

Players are sent to a sin bin for 10 minutes if they receive a first yellow card
- No, it would have too much impact and it's too easy to pick up a yellow

If players contest a free-kick decision, the team who have won the free-kick can move the ball forward 10 yards -Yes, but only for prolonged dissent. It would have to be applied in a sensible way.

Managers can make rolling substitutions, bringing players off and on (up to 7 per game)
-Absolutely not. The worst suggestion so far. It would add nothing to the game.

Managers are allowed two time-outs per game for two minutes -Fuck no. It would ruin the continuity of the game. There seems an agenda here to make football more like American sports. Don't conflate the two.

Scrap the offside rule -No. They have the balance more or less right at the moment, but referees do need more guidance on what constitutes interfering with play because the application of this is lacking consistency at the moment.

Games are 70 minutes in length, but an independent timekeeper stops the clock each time play is stopped or the ball goes out of play

No, I'm happy with things as they are.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 26 Feb 2018, 09:57

The Modernist wrote:Not a rule change, but I would scrap one point for goalless draws. If you fail to score you shouldn't get anything.

that's quite a good idea. sort of like a flipside of the "bonus points" you get in rugby.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 26 Feb 2018, 10:18

PENK wrote:Here's another suggestion: stop giving the goalkeeper a free kick any time any attacking player dares to challenge him for a high ball.

this to me is such an urban myth. perhaps it's because I'm a former goalkeeper, but if anything i feel goalkeepers are generally underprotected, or at least that the balance is "ok". it just seems like the thing to do to roll your eyes whenever a goalkeeper gets a freekick, whereas it's been at least 25 years or so since goalkeepers were given a foul for pretty much any infringement (which was more a relic of the 1980s when goalkeepers were given stronger protection following various serious incidents in the 60s and 70s).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Sporting Life”