Which Rule Changes Would You Like To See In Football?

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry

Which rule changes would you like to see in football?

Retrospective punishment for diving
29%
Captains only - Only the captain can speak to the referee to contest a decision
18%
Celebrate as you wish - No more bookings for a player taking his shirt off or going into the crowd while celebrating
5%
Recording conversations with referees
11%
Managers have three chances per game to send a decision to a video referral
11%
The team of referee, two assistants and a fourth official would be consistent from week to week
No votes
A straight red card is given for any dissent towards referees
11%
Players are sent to a sin bin for 10 minutes if they receive a first yellow card
8%
If players contest a free-kick decision, the team who have won the free-kick can move the ball forward 10 yards
3%
Managers can make rolling substitutions, bringing players off and on (up to 7 per game)
No votes
Managers are allowed two time-outs per game for two minutes
No votes
Scrap the offside rule
3%
Games are 70 minutes in length, but an independent timekeeper stops the clock each time play is stopped or the ball goes out of play
3%

Total votes: 38

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Which Rule Changes Would You Like To See In Football?

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Feb 2018, 10:39

The Modernist wrote:Games are 70 minutes in length, but an independent timekeeper stops the clock each time play is stopped or the ball goes out of play

No, I'm happy with things as they are.

Actually my suggestion was 60 minutes.

I think you may be missing the point here G - the ball is 'in play' now for an average of 55 minutes. This is taking actual games over a prolonged period. So you're not getting any less football. But what you will stop is time-wasting. There is simply no point in taking 30 seconds over every throw in or corner or goal kick - or the 90 seconds free kicks around the area now take. Or the new one - the substitution by the team in front, where the player coming off is always the furthest away from the fourth official, and then takes a minute to trundle over... all a complete waste of time. The clock is stopped so it makes no difference if you take ten fucking minutes over taking that goal kick (or whatever)... the clock doesn't start ticking until the ball is kicked and actually 'in play'.
Isn't that something you'd like to see, or do you get some perverse delight watching players throw the ball to another (having already wiped it dry) and then that player take another thirty seconds over actually getting the ball in play? Or the goalkeeper insisting on inspecting his studs before every goal kick and then moving the ball three centimeters to the left before retreating and studying the position of every single player, and then have that ridiculous hand signal exchange we get every time - before he just hoofs the ball forward in exactly the same manner as every other time? Etc etc etc.
I know American sports aren't your thing but the one certainty with the NFL is you never seeing anyone 'time wasting' or roling around faking injuries because there is absolutely no point or benefit in doing so.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 26 Feb 2018, 11:04

I think for sure it would improve - but generally speaking when I see time-wasting it is often not to make the game finish sooner (the ref adds on time anyway - although for sure this always seems quite inconsistently applied) but rather the main goal is to disrupt the flow of the game, and give your team a bit of a breather.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Feb 2018, 11:32

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Games are 70 minutes in length, but an independent timekeeper stops the clock each time play is stopped or the ball goes out of play

No, I'm happy with things as they are.

Actually my suggestion was 60 minutes.

I think you may be missing the point here G - the ball is 'in play' now for an average of 55 minutes. This is taking actual games over a prolonged period. So you're not getting any less football. But what you will stop is time-wasting. There is simply no point in taking 30 seconds over every throw in or corner or goal kick - or the 90 seconds free kicks around the area now take. Or the new one - the substitution by the team in front, where the player coming off is always the furthest away from the fourth official, and then takes a minute to trundle over... all a complete waste of time. The clock is stopped so it makes no difference if you take ten fucking minutes over taking that goal kick (or whatever)... the clock doesn't start ticking until the ball is kicked and actually 'in play'.
Isn't that something you'd like to see, or do you get some perverse delight watching players throw the ball to another (having already wiped it dry) and then that player take another thirty seconds over actually getting the ball in play? Or the goalkeeper insisting on inspecting his studs before every goal kick and then moving the ball three centimeters to the left before retreating and studying the position of every single player, and then have that ridiculous hand signal exchange we get every time - before he just hoofs the ball forward in exactly the same manner as every other time? Etc etc etc.
I know American sports aren't your thing but the one certainty with the NFL is you never seeing anyone 'time wasting' or roling around faking injuries because there is absolutely no point or benefit in doing so.

Maybe the dead time is needed to help the players recuperate. The premiership is already so physically demanding, I'd be reluctant to make it even more demanding.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Feb 2018, 11:47

But you aren't? There will still be exactly the same 'dead time'... it just won't be a part of the 'real' game time.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 27 Feb 2018, 10:40

Geezee wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Not a rule change, but I would scrap one point for goalless draws. If you fail to score you shouldn't get anything.

that's quite a good idea. sort of like a flipside of the "bonus points" you get in rugby.

The problem with that is that it would only benefit stronger teams. If a lesser side goes to another team at the top of the table and defends (as they should given that they're unlikely to win), then if they draw 0-0 they get nothing.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Feb 2018, 11:13

Toby wrote:
Geezee wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Not a rule change, but I would scrap one point for goalless draws. If you fail to score you shouldn't get anything.

that's quite a good idea. sort of like a flipside of the "bonus points" you get in rugby.

The problem with that is that it would only benefit stronger teams. If a lesser side goes to another team at the top of the table and defends (as they should given that they're unlikely to win), then if they draw 0-0 they get nothing.

I guess that's kind of the point though Toby - to stop teams parking the bus?

I'm pretty sure, however, they actually did exactly this in something like the old Soviet League for a couple of years in the 70's/80's - until they realised that everyone was going out and playing hell for leather, scoring 1 and then sitting on it. So 1-1 became the new 0-0.... also as I recall you had the situation where teams only had to stop the other team scoring (without any need to score themselves or gain points) and relegated their opposition or won the league, with scoreless draws.

Great in theory, doesn't work in practice. The only thing that does to promote goal scoring is to introduce bonus points for goals - an extra point for three goals in a game sounds interesting?
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Feb 2018, 13:12

Toby wrote:
Geezee wrote:

I'm fine with that. The object of football should always be to score a goal. I don't think failure to do that should be rewarded

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Feb 2018, 13:16

Diamond Dog wrote:
Toby wrote:
Geezee wrote:

I guess that's kind of the point though Toby - to stop teams parking the bus?

I'm pretty sure, however, they actually did exactly this in something like the old Soviet League for a couple of years in the 70's/80's - until they realised that everyone was going out and playing hell for leather, scoring 1 and then sitting on it. So 1-1 became the new 0-0?

Well it didn't really because there's nothing to stop teams sitting on a one goal lead now, so such a rule change wouldn't make that more prevalent.

I'm not even suggesting this change as a way of getting more goals (after all most games don't finish 0-0), I'm suggesting it purely because I think being rewarded for failing to score is contrary to the spirit and purpose of the game. It's a principle as much as anything.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 27 Feb 2018, 13:44

All these suggestions benefit stronger teams. In this day and age, City and Liverpool would be streets ahead with an extra point for more goals.

The object of the game in the context of league football is to win the competition or not get relegated, not necessarily the 90 minutes of the game.

I agree that scoring goals should in some respects be rewarded, but in this day and age I'm afraid that is pretty much the preserve of the elite clubs.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Feb 2018, 14:12

Watch it get voted in for the EPL next season then
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Feb 2018, 20:44

Toby wrote:All these suggestions benefit stronger teams. In this day and age, City and Liverpool would be streets ahead with an extra point for more goals.

The object of the game in the context of league football is to win the competition or not get relegated, not necessarily the 90 minutes of the game.

I agree that scoring goals should in some respects be rewarded, but in this day and age I'm afraid that is pretty much the preserve of the elite clubs.

Scoring goals is the preserve of elite clubs? That's nonsense Toby.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 27 Feb 2018, 20:47

Scoring lots of goals is, in the context of the Premier League.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Feb 2018, 21:10

If you're 3-0 down come 90 minutes, no extra time. Nothing radical or something that would change the game for ever but it would stop the misery.

Also when it comes to cup games the team in the lower league should get to play at home first so they can make some money. I'm assuming they make more money at home than play away to a prem team for example. If not then, forget it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Feb 2018, 10:42

Toby wrote:Scoring lots of goals is, in the context of the Premier League.

Who said anything about lots of goals?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Feb 2018, 10:51

Toby wrote:Scoring lots of goals is, in the context of the Premier League.

It's not. Gaining points is.

The goals are a bi-product of having the best players, not vice versa.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Feb 2018, 10:58

The sort of rule change you are talking about - giving teams who score say, 3 or more goals, an extra point - would on the whole benefit stronger teams, because on the whole they are able to field better sides because they have more squad depth, more finance for transfers and better status to attract good players.

What constitutes a lot of goals over a season? I'd say an average of 2 a game. So that's around 75+. The sort of team that scores that amount of goals generally challenges for the title and doesn't flirt with relegation.

Maybe, on the odd occasion, a weaker team might put 4 past a fellow struggler on a bad day, but on the whole they struggle to get past 50 or so at most over 38 games. Burnley have overachieved this season purely because their defence has been strong, not because they've scored lots of goals.

If you were to apply that rule to the Premier League this season, Liverpool and Spurs would benefit potentially by leapfrogging United, but City would be even further out front. It would make a seriously top-heavy league even worse.

I would also argue that it would make teams much more defensive against the big sides.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Feb 2018, 11:00

In terms of the original OP, I think rolling substitutions is likely to be one that we see in the future with the game veering towards squads rather than first XI.

Maybe limited to 2 a half or something.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Feb 2018, 13:50

K wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:If you're 3-0 down come 90 minutes, no extra time. Nothing radical or something that would change the game for ever but it would stop the misery.

Also when it comes to cup games the team in the lower league should get to play at home first so they can make some money. I'm assuming they make more money at home than play away to a prem team for example. If not then, forget it.

When you say no extra time do you mean no added time?

Actually I don't think this will work. It's all about fairness and it only takes one team to claim they lost out on goal difference because they were denied their 7 minutes of added time.

I never thought about scoring for goal difference. Can't remember the last time it came in to play, but still a valid point.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Feb 2018, 13:53

One more sub during extra time as well would be good. Think it has been mentioned before.

As for the time wasting. The clock not stopping until a team goes ahead is another suggestion. Once it gets back to a draw, the clock runs normally again. Though some teams would be playing for a point anyway.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Mar 2018, 12:28

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11945/11305648/teams-can-select-fourth-sub-in-champions-league-europa-league-knockout-games-next-year

Teams can select fourth sub in Champions League, Europa League knockout games next year

Yes, I like this. Just hope managers use it to put on an attacking players instead of a defensive one to make through to penalties.

Return to “Sporting Life”