Footy
10%

Total votes: 21

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Football or Rugby

Postby KeithPratt » 11 Mar 2017, 23:00

Obviously it's football.

The game can be awfully tepid at time, but there is not another sport that can match the "leap up in the air going fucking mental" sheer outrageousnes that follows someone smashing in a 35 yard pile driver. It is the equivalent of a flooring left hook in the team game set up.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 Mar 2017, 23:04

Rugby didn't appropriate the term football; it is football. And at its free flowing best superior to association football. Unfortunately that's not very often.
I run out of talent

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 11 Mar 2017, 23:15

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 12 Mar 2017, 09:44

In my order:

Rugby League
Football
Rugby Union

I like all 3, Union I have to be REALLY in the mood for though.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Mar 2017, 10:33

Rugby League is passable, for those who like that sort of thing.
Union is a bottom-sniffing, thigh-fondling abomination, homoeroticism for uglies, replete with an incomprehensible offside law.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Mar 2017, 12:55

Rugby is shit. I have problems with the modern game but footy is the greatest sport on earth. The history of the game worldwide is unsurpassable
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 Mar 2017, 16:10

It's cricket obviously.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Mar 2017, 16:20

It is still football, though my love for it wanes season by season.

Next up though is American Football, which is a much greater game than either rugby code.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 12 Mar 2017, 16:45

Rayge wrote:Union is a bottom-sniffing, thigh-fondling abomination, homoeroticism for uglies, replete with an incomprehensible offside law.

Union it is.

No room for football in my home room.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Mar 2017, 21:12

It is football, because it has the most onfield possibilities and variety and the most off-field stories and legends. Its inherent simplicity - what sport is easier? Kabbadi? - has become its depth and its magic.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Mar 2017, 21:33

K wrote:Incomprehensible "any" laws!
When I watch it is see lots of fats guys running around randomly, hitting each other.

But have you seen the number of hotties!

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 13 Mar 2017, 05:45

Diamond Dog wrote:It is still football, though my love for it wanes season by season.

Next up though is American Football, which is a much greater game than either rugby code.

I am watching a lot more as the years go on but I'm still stuck on the constant resetting of the lines and all that. I'll get there I'm sure.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Mar 2017, 10:05

Football wins because it doesn't rely on strength. Messi, Xavi or Iniesta would be flattened on a rugby pitch, but in football they are the Emperors.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Mar 2017, 11:02

Toby wrote:Football wins because it doesn't rely on strength. Messi, Xavi or Iniesta would be flattened on a rugby pitch, but in football they are the Emperors.

That's a pretty simplistic definition though Toby. There are some amazingly skilful rugby players - they just happen to be aligned (mostly) with physical presence too. The same with American Football. And, let's be fair, footballers are getting bigger and stronger. A decent international midfielder of the 80s wouldn't last beyond 60 minutes these days (yes there are exceptions but overall that's correct). Football, as in all sports, is getting more reliant on fitness, conditioning and strength - it's just less pronounced at present in football.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Mar 2017, 11:24

The ability to run around the pitch for 90 minutes has always been there. That's why Ray Parlour had a semblance of an international career, because he could run around non-stop.

I don't doubt that fitness is becoming supra-important - I have a friend who has worked at some of the top clubs as a conditioning coach, and it is only recently that footballers are starting to reach the levels that Rugby players have.

But my point still remains - as someone who was "small" as a child (I shot up from 5' 4" to 6' in 2 years between the ages of 16 - 18), football remains a sport where "classical" fitness attributes aren't as necessary to success as other sports. See Cricket as well (the greatest batsmen of all time were all under 5' 8") for that. That's why it appeals to me. Someone like the late Jonah Lomu, generally seen as the finest Rugby player of all time, was a physical beast, but that to me is just genetics shining (albeit in a tragically brief way) for him at the right time.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Mar 2017, 14:15

Australian Rules Football
Soccer

American Football

Rugby
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Mar 2017, 03:23

K wrote: but hopefully we'll get some posts about soft footballers diving and how well rugby players respect the ref and how their fans are so friendly etc etc.

I get this a LOT from my rugby-loving friends who bang on about these positive elements of rugby/negative elements of football that are supposed to make Rugby the superior sport and while I agree that these things are true, at the end of the day (did you see what I did there) football is still the better sport. It just is.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 14 Mar 2017, 03:32

K wrote:And only in football could Troy Deeney become such a hero

Even though I don't support Man City that Aguero goal still made me jump out my seat and jump about like crazy. God knows what it was like for the actual fans :lol:

There should be a couple of Gerrard goals included (vs Olympiacos and West Ham) and, 'though it pains me, Arsenal's last minute title winner vs Liverpool in 1989

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 14 Mar 2017, 06:10

trans-chigley express wrote:
K wrote: but hopefully we'll get some posts about soft footballers diving and how well rugby players respect the ref and how their fans are so friendly etc etc.

I get this a LOT from my rugby-loving friends who bang on about these positive elements of rugby/negative elements of football that are supposed to make Rugby the superior sport and while I agree that these things are true, at the end of the day (did you see what I did there) football is still the better sport. It just is.

Union fans in Australia are, with a few exceptions, absolute fuckwits of the highest order. The bloke in the suit who threatened to shove my wife's cowbell (a common thing for fans of the Chiefs to carry) down her throat was a particular favourite. I'm sure in New Zealand, where RU is the sport of the common man as opposed to an "elite" class like here, they're much nicer.

Rugby League fans are just nice, I've never really felt threatened at a game, and nor do they rip flares and do other sorts of shit and hide behind "passion" like the homophobic pieces of shit who support the Western Sydney Wanderers.

But I suppose it's what you're born into I suppose. I wonder how many on this list listed their favourite here which they came to at a later date as opposed to being a part of their life since birth.

I always look a bit suspiciously on people who convert to a "new" favourite code :lol: :lol:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Mar 2017, 09:41

Brutal Kangaroo wrote:Rugby League fans are just nice, I've never really felt threatened at a game, and nor do they rip flares and do other sorts of shit and hide behind "passion" like the homophobic pieces of shit who support the Western Sydney Wanderers.

I find rugby league crowds weird. At Wigan, at least, the crowd's constant chattering amongst themselves gets really annoying, it's like some kind of social occasion with a rugby match occurring in the background. The vehemence with which they then criticise the ref is properly startling, it changes from a tea party to a lynching. The video ref ruins everything on televised games, too, I'd hate for football ever to bring that in. No-one knows what's happening, half the crowd can't see the screen, the game stops for an age, and then the video ref makes an incomprehensible decision, and no-one's happy.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Sporting Life”