Non league

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Non league

Postby clive gash » 13 Sep 2016, 21:56

K wrote:Whilst the European greats were battling it out in the first round of the Champions League, 10-man Altrincham FC fell 4-1 victims away at Nuneaton Town. Not looking good for the former giant killers. Already two wins away from safety, if Bradford Park Avenue win tomorrow Alty will find themselves bottom of the league. Hard to compete against the new money of AFC Fylde and the Neville-backed Salford, but at the moment Alty can't beat anyone.

:(

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Sep 2016, 22:40

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Sep 2016, 22:41

Anyone?

Please, there's a BCB salad-tosser in need here.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Sep 2016, 22:59

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Sep 2016, 23:10

FFS! This used to be a place you could chin-wag about Non league. Coant and his acolytes have hounded us all Into extinction.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Sep 2016, 23:45

Paul scholes says he prefer the lower division to the premier league. Then again he's 5% owner in Salford city.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Sep 2016, 14:53

K wrote:Whilst the European greats were battling it out in the first round of the Champions League, 10-man Altrincham FC fell 4-1 victims away at Nuneaton Town. Not looking good for the former giant killers. Already two wins away from safety, if Bradford Park Avenue win tomorrow Alty will find themselves bottom of the league. Hard to compete against the new money of AFC Fylde and the Neville-backed Salford, but at the moment Alty can't beat anyone.

:(

It's a long time since I've seen Bradford Park Avenue - I know a couple of people who go faithfully. My next venture out to non league is likely to be to see Pickering Town. I'd like to take Mike in comparison to the games he's already seen. It's a fair old eye opener. The chips at a Pickering are meant to be ace.

I saw Chorley FC a couple of times - they were at the time managed by ex Rover Matt Jansen who had to stop playing after coming off a motorbike. Shame as he was a cracking player in the style of Le Tissier.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 14 Sep 2016, 15:43

Buggar!

Qube

Postby Qube » 14 Sep 2016, 18:07

I'm an Oxford fan and the few years we were in non-league were pretty depressing to be honest. Hopefully never again!

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 15 Sep 2016, 10:17

It's only September isn't it? Chin up for fucks sake.

As far as non league goes, I follow Penrith AFC on Twitter as a nod to the place my hometown is named after, and I read the Non League Paper whilst in England once, that was an interesting enough read.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 15 Sep 2016, 10:38

My pal has a great new book out this month covering the non-league game, if you're interested. Barry Davies said this about it: "Not since The Football Man has a book so captured the passion of the game. The Bottom Corner is a wonderful journey through life in the lower reaches of the football pyramid. A fascinating tale of a very different world of football from that of the overpaid stars of the television age."

[/spam]

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 15 Sep 2016, 10:43

I love a bit of non-league. I must have been to at least 20 times more non-league games than league stuff. I go to Bath City when they have a midweek fixture, and Keynsham Town too. Bath are reasonably good, although woefully inconsistent, and get crowds of around 500ish.

Keynsham is the other end of the spectrum, and often struggle to get 40 through the gate. 100 is a rarity. Still, it's a game, and there's nothing like going to a game. I finally won the half-time raffle once last season, after probably buying over 1,000 tickets down the years. I enjoyed that four-pack of thatchers! :D

My dad was telling me about Hereford the other day, as they were at Barnstaple Town (where my dad lives and goes to the game regularly, and where I grew up going most games). Hereford are now owned and run by the fans. They took something like 700 to Barnstaple the other week, which is probably their biggest gate there since George Best's All-Stars were there in the early 80s (I was at that game!). Barnstaple usually get 150-200, so you can imagine the boon that was to them!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 15 Sep 2016, 10:52

Another sunny day in Nottingham.

I've got to say the standard of Coffee at last night's game was appalling. Thank Christ for the insulated travel cup.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 15 Sep 2016, 11:02

Is there anything hotter on the planet than a cup of tea or coffee at a non-league ground?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Sep 2016, 11:05

bhoywonder wrote:Is there anything hotter on the planet than a cup of tea or coffee at a non-league ground?

Christina Hendricks.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

borofan

Postby borofan » 15 Sep 2016, 16:32

K wrote:Thankfully the wonderfully named Darlington 1883 beat Bradford Park Avenue tonight so at least Alty are not bottom. Just 5 point from safety.

The reconstituted Darlington FC making their way back up the pyramid after the old club went bust through 30 years of mismanagement, deluded owners and one convicted criminal owner, former safecracker George Reynolds, who made his 'legitimate' money in kitchen worktops. Took over the club, sold the old ground for housing and built a ridiculously overblown stadium on the edge of town, the final nail that killed the old club. They have been playing in Bishop Auckland for the last few years, but in a couple of months are moving back home to Darlo, sharing with Darlington RUFC.

'1883' refers to the year the original club was formed - for the usual legal reasons the supporters who formed the new club were not allowed to call it Darlington FC (and for some unknown reason were not allowed to use the standard format AFC Darlington).
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Feb 2018, 20:01

Travelling up to Stockton to watch Windsor in the Qtr Final of the FA Vase tomorrow. Significant underdogs but then we have been for most of the rounds....

Coach sets off at 7.30am.

Long day!

I think I was first on the scene of this celebration in the last round but invisible under the scrum... it got bigger as the rest raced across the terraces, honestly! :D

joklend

Postby joklend » 23 Feb 2018, 22:29

I know someone who been considering "going non-league" for years. He's never been to a game.

joklend

Postby joklend » 23 Feb 2018, 22:34

borofan wrote:
K wrote:Thankfully the wonderfully named Darlington 1883 beat Bradford Park Avenue tonight so at least Alty are not bottom. Just 5 point from safety.

The reconstituted Darlington FC making their way back up the pyramid after the old club went bust through 30 years of mismanagement, deluded owners and one convicted criminal owner, former safecracker George Reynolds, who made his 'legitimate' money in kitchen worktops. Took over the club, sold the old ground for housing and built a ridiculously overblown stadium on the edge of town, the final nail that killed the old club. They have been playing in Bishop Auckland for the last few years, but in a couple of months are moving back home to Darlo, sharing with Darlington RUFC.

'1883' refers to the year the original club was formed - for the usual legal reasons the supporters who formed the new club were not allowed to call it Darlington FC (and for some unknown reason were not allowed to use the standard format AFC Darlington).

The future speaks: They've been allowed to use their original name now.

I legit once had a dream where I was repeatedly swearing at George Reynolds.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Feb 2018, 10:14

Stockton 2-0 Windsor

Decent performance from Windsor but Stockton were better than us in all areas. We lost all the battles really.

Big crowd but so very strange. They made not a peep all game. When they made their substitutions about 20 people capped. When they scored there was nothing much more than a momentary roar and a quiet round of applause.

We sang long and hard. Good performance from the 100+ Windsor fans. An enjoyable but ultimately disappointing day.

The Stockton fans we nattered with were all first class.

On to Woodley away (a team who can muster about 40 fans on a good day) on Monday night in the Floodlit Cup..... Yay!

Return to “Sporting Life”