The Boxing

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
joels344

Re: The Boxing

Postby joels344 » 19 Jun 2017, 15:38

The Great Defector wrote:Read up on Ward Kovalev. I don't know about Ward but his promoter and his promotion sounds dodgy as fuck from what I read. How many low blows can a boxer take.

Yeah, he's involved with some skeptical people. He should break away from them in order to start moving his career in a more positive and promising direction.

That stoppage was strange, because some of those shots were low blows, by definition. I even thought Tony Weeks was intervening to warn Ward or take a point away for blatant fouling. He was warned in Round 2, but no more after that. Round 8 featured two or three low blows more egregious than the one in Round 2. Ward is a boxer that I have trouble respecting due to his inability to fight cleanly. I also became frustrated with Kovalev as well, because he's only able to give about 6 quality rounds of boxing. After that, his energy is completely drained. I had Kovalev winning the match 5-2 at the time of the stoppage. I thought he was controlling the action, landing the cleaner and more effective shots, and was the ring general. However, Ward definitely won Round 4 and Round 7. He was certainly taking control of the action in Round 8, and would've arguably won the match, regardless of his low blows.

Even the co-main event with Rigondeaux was questionable. Towards the end of the round, he was holding and hitting Flores, before the 'knockout' shot was landed after the bell. The fact people were even debating whether or not the shot landed after the bell is troublesome. Just an overall frustrating card to experience as a boxing fan. Again, I'm left questioning the judgement of the Nevada Athletic Commission.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Jun 2017, 15:58

Yeah Kovalex's premotor said that all/most of her fighters lost in a controversial way on that card that the other promotion ran. I'd need to read more in to it, but sounds dodgy as fuck.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

joels344

Postby joels344 » 19 Jun 2017, 17:19

I definitely recommend watching the fight if you can find it, but here's the best, and probably most unbiased breakdown of the match I've heard so far:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Jun 2017, 17:28

I'm an MMA fan, it's tough for me to watch boxing unless I buy in to it because I'm a sucker for the build up or something. I'll give it a watch though if I find it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Jun 2017, 19:20

joels344 wrote:I had Kovalev winning the match 5-2 at the time of the stoppage. I thought he was controlling the action, landing the cleaner and more effective shots, and was the ring general. However, Ward definitely won Round 4 and Round 7. He was certainly taking control of the action in Round 8, and would've arguably won the match, regardless of his low blows.

Kovalev doubled up Ward in the punch count I saw. I'm glad Ward won, him being a local guy. I'd have thought if they wanted to rig the fight, Kovalev would've won to set up a best of three.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

joels344

Postby joels344 » 19 Jun 2017, 19:27

sloopjohnc wrote:
joels344 wrote:I had Kovalev winning the match 5-2 at the time of the stoppage. I thought he was controlling the action, landing the cleaner and more effective shots, and was the ring general. However, Ward definitely won Round 4 and Round 7. He was certainly taking control of the action in Round 8, and would've arguably won the match, regardless of his low blows.

Kovalev doubled up Ward in the punch count I saw. I'm glad Ward won, him being a local guy. I'd have thought if they wanted to rig the fight, Kovalev would've won to set up a best of three.

It seems Kovalev's plan was to go all 12 with Ward and win the decision. Hence, why he was throwing more punches than the previous fight. Ward is much tougher than people give him credit for and can take a punch well. Not to mention, he's really good in the later rounds, whereas Kovalev is stronger in the first 5 to 6 rounds.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Jun 2017, 19:30

sloopjohnc wrote: I'd have thought if they wanted to rig the fight, Kovalev would've won to set up a best of three.

That would be sort sighted on ward's side. A loss would stop him getting a bigger fight, a money fight.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 19 Jun 2017, 23:40

Apparently, an impending fight with none other than Anthony Joshua as well.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Jun 2017, 00:18

joels344 wrote:Apparently, an impending fight with none other than Anthony Joshua as well.

I read today in the paper that Ward is looking to go up a weight class or two even.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jun 2017, 06:14

sloopjohnc wrote:
joels344 wrote:Apparently, an impending fight with none other than Anthony Joshua as well.

I read today in the paper that Ward is looking to go up a weight class or two even.

I hope so. As inexperienced as Joshua is, he'd thump Ward. Joshua is becoming the top dog for dream matches for 'lesser' opponents .

I'm not sure how Ward was allowed to get away with the low blows but I think he would have won fighting clean. Kovalev looks like a guy who has just jumped the shark - his age has caught up with him.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

joels344

Postby joels344 » 20 Jun 2017, 14:03

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

I hope so. As inexperienced as Joshua is, he'd thump Ward. Joshua is becoming the top dog for dream matches for 'lesser' opponents .

I'm not sure how Ward was allowed to get away with the low blows but I think he would have won fighting clean. Kovalev looks like a guy who has just jumped the shark - his age has caught up with him.

Exactly, there was no reason for those low blows at all. And I also see Joshua destroying Ward. This whole Joshua vs. Ward fight could just be all talk from Virgil Hunter.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Jun 2017, 14:15

Who's out there for Joshua to fight?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Jun 2017, 16:39

What's Kenny Bayless like as a ref? Is he biased towards Mayweather?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jun 2017, 17:16

He's refereed Mayweather in six title fights and I don't recall any bias.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Jun 2017, 17:13

Based on this video, McGregor's in real trouble next month.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 30 Jun 2017, 10:37

I actually think Floyd's head movement has slowed a lot. Unless he's faking it to throw McGregor off. He doesn't need to bother: McGregor's fucked. From what I've seen, Conor is training for the wrong fight. Unless he's training completely differently in private.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Jun 2017, 13:41

Training video is one thing, in the ring is another. I think McGregor is going to get beat, but I don't think it's gonna be in a dominate fashion that everyone suggests. Mayweather is too much of a chicken to go all out.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jul 2017, 18:52

Either Mayweather is playing a game with the IRS... or he's really not quite as bright as he had us all believe....

https://lasvegassun.com/blogs/elsewhere ... bout-in-t/

Crazy. How much has this guy earnt in his career?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jul 2017, 18:54

Diamond Dog wrote:Either Mayweather is playing a game with the IRS... or he's really not quite as bright as he had us all believe....

Forbes say $700 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... 2290a87c6e

Fucking hell.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Jul 2017, 21:24

Diamond Dog wrote:Either Mayweather is playing a game with the IRS... or he's really not quite as bright as he had us all believe....

A boxer with money problems, go figure

No Money Mayweather.

Larry Holmes managed himself and did pretty well: Holmes invested the money he earned from boxing and settled in his hometown of Easton. When he retired from boxing, Holmes employed more than 200 people through his various business holdings. In 2008, he owned two restaurants and a nightclub, a training facility, an office complex, a snack food bar and slot machines. In 2014, Holmes sold his business complex in Easton to business entrepreneur Gerald Gorman.

His son, Larry Jr., is a financial advisor.

Return to “Sporting Life”