The Boxing

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
joels344

Re: The Boxing

Postby joels344 » 15 Sep 2017, 00:01

I'm favoring GGG by round 8 TKO. I see it being an accumulation type of stoppage. Canelo has great head/body movement, an excellent body attack, and quick hand speed, which could neutralize GGG's attack in the early rounds. Canelo also puts together some interesting and impressive punch combinations. However, he is limited on footwork and this is required against an opponent like Golovkin. Another thing is that Canelo tends to have moments of inactivity, which is dangerous with Golovkin's stiff jab. GGG is a master of spacing, timing, accuracy, and has power in both hands. An underrated boxer with some of the heaviest hands we've seen in the Middlweight division. Plus, his chin seems to be made of iron. Both Brook and Jacobs have landed some clean shots and he never reset his position. I question if Canelo can hit harder than Danny Jacobs.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

joels344

Postby joels344 » 15 Sep 2017, 00:04

Either way, I cannot wait for this match and may the best man win.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Sep 2017, 17:08

joels344 wrote:I'm favoring GGG by round 8 TKO. I see it being an accumulation type of stoppage. Canelo has great head/body movement, an excellent body attack, and quick hand speed, which could neutralize GGG's attack in the early rounds. Canelo also puts together some interesting and impressive punch combinations. However, he is limited on footwork and this is required against an opponent like Golovkin. Another thing is that Canelo tends to have moments of inactivity, which is dangerous with Golovkin's stiff jab. GGG is a master of spacing, timing, accuracy, and has power in both hands. An underrated boxer with some of the heaviest hands we've seen in the Middlweight division. Plus, his chin seems to be made of iron. Both Brook and Jacobs have landed some clean shots and he never reset his position. I question if Canelo can hit harder than Danny Jacobs.

Can't argue with this at all.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

joels344

Postby joels344 » 16 Sep 2017, 20:29

I just bought it. Let's hope it's not a let down.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Sep 2017, 07:53

How exactly can one judge give the fight to GGG by three rounds, and another to Canelo by eight?! That's an eleven round difference - there's only fucking twelve to score from!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 17 Sep 2017, 11:05

GGG won. The 'judge' that scored Canelo by that amount should be prosecuted.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 17 Sep 2017, 11:24

Terrible judging by Adelaide Byrd. So terrible, in fact, that it simply can't be accidental.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

joels344

Postby joels344 » 17 Sep 2017, 19:15

First off, great tactical boxing match between the two fighters. Canelo was effective early on, but GGG took control and eventually started dominated with his jab and ability to cut the ring off. GGG won at least 7 if not 8 rounds.

That being said, something seriously needs to be done about the judging in boxing. It's getting embarrassing and ends up being the main talking point rather than the fight itself. I've thought of using a combination of a ringside judge, a computer program (similar to CompuBox), and have someone isolated in a room watching a televised version of the fight (without the commentary, of course). This way you could still have three judges, but coming from different perspectives.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Sep 2017, 00:04

Andre Ward announced his retirement today.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

joels344

Postby joels344 » 28 Mar 2018, 02:13

Anyone plan on watching Joshua vs. Parker this weekend? I’ve been anticipating this match for quite sometime now. I tend to favor Joshua by TKO in this matchup, but Parker’s ability to put together some quick combination punches could make things interesting.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 10 Nov 2018, 16:49

Usyk vs. Bellew is on later today. I'm looking forward to this matchup, even though it should be a convincing win for Usyk.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Jun 2019, 05:33

Well that was pretty impressive from Fury.

Brutal really.

TalkSport presenters will now be forming an orderly and worshipful queue to suck him off in the dressing room to continue what they’ve been doing with great enthusiasm since the Wilder fight.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Jun 2019, 13:07

I don't care so much for Fury but he is the natural challenger for Wilder (again) and there's no reason to believe he won't win the fight (again). Whether he can get the decision is an entirely different matter (again). It's the one thing Fury doesn't really have - a real settle-the-tie punch to negate the scoring bias.

But therein lies the rub - he's the one they all want to avoid. And it's very easy to do in the boxing world of today. I hope the rematch with Wilder is made but I doubt it will - Wilder has way too much to lose. Fury may have to try and get a world title back via Ruiz/Joshua - but, of course, the same applies in those cases too.
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 16 Jun 2019, 15:29

No matter how much smoke they blow up Tyson's arse the fact remains that the fight was a travesty and Schwarz had no argument for him ever being near, let alone inside, the ring. At least Ruiz had looked more than decent against Parker. The heavyweight division has lost my interest, especially as Dillian looks no nearer to the title shot he deserves.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Jun 2019, 15:55

White fits the same bill... dangerous so not likely to get his chance. I think Joshua certainly has no intention of fighting him again, and Fury is only looking upwards for a title shot. So he's effectively being frozen out. He's certainly not a big sell in the US and won;t be until they give him a chance... something they're not likely to do until he beats either Fury or Joshua.

Maybe Ruiz could give him a shot if he beats Joshua again (for which i've just backed him at 5/2 which is a huge price in my eyes).
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Jun 2019, 17:38

Heavyweight boxing is corrupt. Not fixed, but definitely corrupt in so many ways. Despite all the posturing I would not be at all surprised if the top guys’ management teams are in cahoots to keep them apart and away from other potentially dangerous opponents in order to maximise earnings with minimal risk until the need for credibility is so strong there is no other option. Too cynical? Maybe.

Didn’t work too well for AJ unfortunately.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Jun 2019, 19:46

Lord Rother wrote:Heavyweight boxing is corrupt. Not fixed, but definitely corrupt in so many ways. Despite all the posturing I would not be at all surprised if the top guys’ management teams are in cahoots to keep them apart and away from other potentially dangerous opponents in order to maximise earnings with minimal risk until the need for credibility is so strong there is no other option. Too cynical? Maybe.

Didn’t work too well for AJ unfortunately.

It's always been controlled by management/promotional teams. As is much/most of boxing - and usually in cohorts with the various Boxing Associations etc. It's why there are multiple belts - because the backers of one boxer weren't getting a look in with the WBC, so the WBA came along. Then the WBO. Then the IBF. Repeat..... It's why there are so many different weights now - when I first started taking an interest in boxing, there were eight, and only eight. Now... well I think it's 17 isn't it? With a potential of four different holders at each weight...68 world champions! So much more money to be made for so many title fights!

It really did work well for Joshua until he pulled a live, late replacement for his first fight in the US. Bad combination - and he paid the price. I kind of think it was inevitable though - sadly he has an extremely suspect chin and in the heavyweight division, eventually you get found out on that one. Always.
Cocaine

joels344

Postby joels344 » 15 Jul 2019, 20:04

Jesus, Pernell Whitaker was apparently hit by a car and died Sunday night: https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/ ... t-car-dies

RIP to one of my favorite fighters ever.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jul 2019, 16:12

Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2019, 20:36

Diamond Dog wrote:
Maybe Ruiz could give him a shot if he beats Joshua again (for which i've just backed him at 5/2 which is a huge price in my eyes).

I've just watched the Sky Sports "AJ: The Untold Truth" hour long special.

Very enlightening - I think it's fair to say Joshua has completely lost his love for the sport of boxing. He likes the passport it gives him to do the other things in his life he wants (setting up a foundation/charity for one) but he has clearly no love of the fight game itself anymore. I was sitting there thinking "This guy might well retire after the Ruiz fight, win or lose". Ad then he actually said exactly that.

Boxing isn't a sport you can do if you don;t really want to - at least, and not be as successful as you were when you were hungry and needed it. Joshua doesn't need it - he has made enough money...for himself and his family. He said so. If you read between the lines, the only reason he is continuing is because he is embarrassed that Ruiz beat him and wants to settle that score. He knows he's been frozen out of the Fury/Wilder debate for at least 18 months, so he isn't even thinking about them as a realistic possibility. He says he only wants to fight the top guys so... after Ruiz, even if he wins, who else? No one, especially with White's drug fiasco ruling him out of the frame.

In my eyes, going to Dubai to fight Ruiz is a huge mistake. Nothing I saw suggests he really wants the fight - indeed, I think he sounded like a man that has already retired in his eyes (after the Ruiz fight). That's a very dangerous state of mind to be in. I can't see any other result besides another Ruiz victory.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”