Champion's League 2017/18

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Champion's League 2017/18

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Apr 2018, 13:13

The Juve defender was on the wrong side and made an arse of it. I think it was more the hand on the back than the leg that was to blame for the penalty but I also think the Real lad went down like a sack of shit. I thought it was soft but probably the correct decision these days.

I felt for Buffon. I think the ref said he sent him off for abusive language. Given the context maybe a yellow would have been the more forgiving decision.

Shame like. I'm so sick of Real Madrid. Surely to christ they aren't gonna win this thing again.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Apr 2018, 17:03

I hope not. I can't stand the thought of Ronaldo taking off his shirt and posing like Charles Atlas.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Apr 2018, 17:24

I have zero sympathy for Buffon and I think his reaction at the time, and perhaps even more importantly afterwards, is completely undignified and unacceptable. The fact that Juventus had fought so hard and done such an incredible thing for 89 minutes has zero impact on whether it is a penalty or not. As much as I, like so many others, hugely respect him and his career, the red card was 100% warranted.

That in no way changes the fact that it was not in a million years a penalty. I don't think it's a huge refereeing mistake - you can absolutely see why he's given it - but nobody who sees the replay should really have any doubt. Again, it does go to show how impossible this kind of topic is - among my friends who saw the game (and it seems about the same here), it is roughly equal between those who feel "no way" a penalty and those who think it is.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Apr 2018, 11:50

Ten minutes to the draw. :?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Apr 2018, 12:05

Geezee wrote:I have zero sympathy for Buffon and I think his reaction at the time, and perhaps even more importantly afterwards, is completely undignified and unacceptable. The fact that Juventus had fought so hard and done such an incredible thing for 89 minutes has zero impact on whether it is a penalty or not. As much as I, like so many others, hugely respect him and his career, the red card was 100% warranted.

That in no way changes the fact that it was not in a million years a penalty. I don't think it's a huge refereeing mistake - you can absolutely see why he's given it - but nobody who sees the replay should really have any doubt. Again, it does go to show how impossible this kind of topic is - among my friends who saw the game (and it seems about the same here), it is roughly equal between those who feel "no way" a penalty and those who think it is.

I think almost the total opposite - unsurprisingly as I have given up agreeing with you on anything football related. :lol:

For me a clear penalty as the Juve defender barges into the back of the Real player with no hope of winning the ball.
The Buffon sending off is a little more debatable as there is no doubt Buffon responded very aggressively towards the referee and so, going by the book, you can say it was a red, but I'd have liked the referee to consider the context -a semi final where Juve had had their hopes dashed, after such a heroic fightback, by a controversial penalty- which caused Buffon to react in that way. I think he could have tried to mollify him with a yellow; that would have shown better man management and more sympathy towards the spirit of the game in my view.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Apr 2018, 12:29

Roma! Obviously the team the others wanted too. If they can comeback against Barca like they did, then I don't think they will be the most favorable draw as most make out.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Apr 2018, 13:20

Yeah I think Klopp secretly might have preferred Real or Bayern to Roma. Liverpool will be favourites, which probably won't do Roma any harm at all, and they've claimed big scalps along the way (Chelsea, Barca, At. Madrid) already.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Apr 2018, 13:58

The Modernist wrote:
Geezee wrote:I have zero sympathy for Buffon and I think his reaction at the time, and perhaps even more importantly afterwards, is completely undignified and unacceptable. The fact that Juventus had fought so hard and done such an incredible thing for 89 minutes has zero impact on whether it is a penalty or not. As much as I, like so many others, hugely respect him and his career, the red card was 100% warranted.

I think almost the total opposite - unsurprisingly as I have given up agreeing with you on anything football related. :lol:

For me a clear penalty as the Juve defender barges into the back of the Real player with no hope of winning the ball.
The Buffon sending off is a little more debatable as there is no doubt Buffon responded very aggressively towards the referee and so, going by the book, you can say it was a red, but I'd have liked the referee to consider the context -a semi final where Juve had had their hopes dashed, after such a heroic fightback, by a controversial penalty- which caused Buffon to react in that way. I think he could have tried to mollify him with a yellow; that would have shown better man management and more sympathy towards the spirit of the game in my view.

The only thing barging into the back of the Real player is the wind. ;) He goes around him (with his left foot), and does have a hope of winning the ball - indeed he does (just) touch the ball.

Buffon's reaction symbolises everything that is wrong with the modern game in terms of attacks on, and lack of respect for, the referee - which indeed even continued after the game when he's meant to have calmed down, and were very personal in nature.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 13 Apr 2018, 14:36

I think Bayern are the "easy" draw in the semis. I haven't seen their games to be fair, but reports have suggested they've looked aging and creaky.

I've always had a soft spot for Roma (I used to play as them on Football Manager and remember watching the title-winning team with Totti, Montella, Cafu, Batistuta et al on Football Italia) so it would be nice to see them in the final - no disrespect to Liverpool whose forward line have been remarkable this year.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Apr 2018, 16:22

I've always disliked them. It's partly the shirt but mostly it's the semi final with Dundee Utd in 1984 which was iffy to say the least.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

borofan

Postby borofan » 13 Apr 2018, 17:53

The Modernist wrote:

It's not in the remit of the referee to consider context. Buffon put hands on him and spent a couple of minutes screaming into his face - he had to be sent off. Juve were lucky 2 or 3 others were not sent off as well.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Apr 2018, 20:12

borofan wrote:It's not in the remit of the referee to consider context.

The best referees always consider context

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 14 Apr 2018, 09:33

Except when it comes to attacking the ref. For whatever reason, football is the only sport where this is considered fair game, and very often defended by the experts/tv commentators who say things like “well you have to understand how frustrated he is” or “he’s only human” or something similar when passions are running high. No. Absolutely not, in my opinion. It’s precisely at these occasions when this should NOT be allowed. Otherwise it’s a free for all for any team and player who feels hard done by (and by extension, if we are considering context, when is it NOT fine to do what he did? In the 80th minute? if juve had only recovered a 2-0 deficit?). These are professionals and adults, and Buffon can and should get lengthy bans for that kind of crap. The fact that he is so unapologetic about it afterwards makes it even worse.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

borofan

Postby borofan » 14 Apr 2018, 16:18

The Modernist wrote:
borofan wrote:It's not in the remit of the referee to consider context.

The best referees always consider context

Nonsense.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Apr 2018, 12:09

Michael Oliver's missus is getting abuse from the Juve fans. Buffon seems to be defending it, and his reaction.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Apr 2018, 12:28

Geezee wrote: For whatever reason, football is the only sport where this is considered fair game, and very often defended by the experts/tv commentators who say things like “well you have to understand how frustrated he is” or “he’s only human” or something similar when passions are running high. No. Absolutely not, in my opinion.

On this, you're spot on.

Much as I think ref's get it wrong sometimes, this 'line in the sand' that exists in other sports appears to have become blurred with football.

If you so much as touch an official in the NFL with even the slightest hint of aggression, you're evicted. Immediately, without exception. And, to my knowledge, I've never heard any coaches/owners trying to defend the player.

If you even think about it in rugby, you're dismissed and can expect a lengthy/excessive ban and/or fine.

You do it in boxing, you're likely to get a lifetime ban.

I cannot think of another sport where physical contact with officials is tolerated. It's become the norm in football, and it's getting worse. Players are now just casually tapping officials on the shoulder, pulling their sleeve, standing in front of them to stop their movement - time and time and time again. It's totally wrong. It's no great surprise that getting officials for club football on Saturdays and Sundays is getting harder and harder - as with all the diving and feigning injury you now see even in Sunday morning football, the need for players to physically influence officials is rife. And, unlike in professional sport, there's no one there to guarantee their safety. It must be very intimidating - which, of course, is why it's done in the first place.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Apr 2018, 13:10

Diamond Dog wrote:
Geezee wrote: For whatever reason, football is the only sport where this is considered fair game, and very often defended by the experts/tv commentators who say things like “well you have to understand how frustrated he is” or “he’s only human” or something similar when passions are running high. No. Absolutely not, in my opinion.

On this, you're spot on.

Much as I think ref's get it wrong sometimes, this 'line in the sand' that exists in other sports appears to have become blurred with football.

If you so much as touch an official in the NFL with even the slightest hint of aggression, you're evicted. Immediately, without exception. And, to my knowledge, I've never heard any coaches/owners trying to defend the player.

If you even think about it in rugby, you're dismissed and can expect a lengthy/excessive ban and/or fine.

You do it in boxing, you're likely to get a lifetime ban.

I cannot think of another sport where physical contact with officials is tolerated. It's become the norm in football, and it's getting worse. Players are now just casually tapping officials on the shoulder, pulling their sleeve, standing in front of them to stop their movement - time and time and time again. It's totally wrong. It's no great surprise that getting officials for club football on Saturdays and Sundays is getting harder and harder - as with all the diving and feigning injury you now see even in Sunday morning football, the need for players to physically influence officials is rife. And, unlike in professional sport, there's no one there to guarantee their safety. It must be very intimidating - which, of course, is why it's done in the first place.

I was reading the report on the Man Utd-West Brom game yesterday, and one commenter said that they had clearly seen on camera assorted players yelling "FUCK OFF" in the referee's face with absolutely no consequences. What is to stop them?

I think that referees - or the authorities that employ them - should be much stricter in clamping down on this, as Oliver was. It's for their own benefit and, I think, for the benefit of the game. Football should seriously consider introducing the rugby rule where only the captain is allowed to speak to the referee.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Apr 2018, 13:11

Diamond Dog wrote:
On this,

:lol:
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Apr 2018, 11:24

Whew, tonight is gonna be tight. I think we'll dominate the ball and Roma will be looking to counter. I'm really excited and nervous at the same time. C'mon the Pool.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Apr 2018, 21:06

Roma looked good for 30 mins and then promptly collapsed. I'm staggered that they simply don't seem to be marking Salah.

Return to “Sporting Life”