More Dominant Olympic Athlete - Bolt or Phelps?

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry

More Dominant Olympic Athlete - Phelps or Bolt?

Usain Bolt
100%
Michael Phelps
No votes

Total votes: 9

sloopjohnc

More Dominant Olympic Athlete - Bolt or Phelps?

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Aug 2016, 00:03

Darkness Fish's opinions about swimming notwithstanding, both of these guys have had pretty remarkable careers. Bolt has won the 100 meters three Olympics in a row, and at the time of this writing, will surely win the 200 meters.

We all know about Phelps - 20+ medals.

Carl Lewis would be the only other one to come close, I would think.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: More Dominant Olympic Athlete - Bolt or Phelps?

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Aug 2016, 09:51

Bolt of course.

Not only has he dominated his sport completely he has done it in times and by margins that have never been seen before and that would have been inconceivable before Bolt.

Carl Lewis was a cheat.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 19 Aug 2016, 10:04

sloopjohnc wrote:Darkness Fish's opinions about swimming notwithstanding, both of these guys have had pretty remarkable careers. Bolt has won the 100 meters three Olympics in a row, and at the time of this writing, will surely win the 200 meters.

We all know about Phelps - 20+ medals.

Carl Lewis would be the only other one to come close, I would think.

Bolt. But it's also strongly related to the fact that I'm not a huge fan of swimming, or at least am very ignorant of the differences between each branch of swimming. When you look at the most decorated Olympians of all time, Bolt doesn't even feature in the Top 50.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Aug 2016, 10:08

I'm with DF, Bolt is the most remarkable athlete I've seen in more than a half century of loving track and field – the only one who comes close in all of sport is Muhammad Ali – and Phelps is a swimmer.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 19 Aug 2016, 11:28

As someone who swam competitively in their teens (although not to any major standard), I'm pretty much in awe of what Phelps has achieved. Everything about him is built for swimming, and he's still winning golds at an age where most swimmers would have retired two Olympics ago. But Bolt has transformed his sport, to an extent that's barely conceivable. He is simply awesome.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 19 Aug 2016, 11:56

Rayge wrote: and Phelps is a swimmer.

and so...?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Aug 2016, 12:12

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Aug 2016, 12:17

Geezee wrote:

and so...?

Rayge wrote:I'm with DF,

Just a personal choice, Geezee, referring back to what sloop said in his OP.
I don't enjoy swimming as a spectator sport, and, like DF, feel it is wildly over-represented in terms of medals available.
Phelps is obviously very good quick at it, but as far as I'm concerned he's a big fish in an Olympic-sized pool.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Aug 2016, 12:25

Ed Moses
Sergey Bubka
Irina Rodnina
Al Oerter

The main argument in favour of phelps is not the number of medals as such, as the fact that he often had to compete in three or four events a day and still wins.
The main arguments against him are the number of medals available at his preferred distances, and the fact that nearly half of his medals are relays.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 19 Aug 2016, 13:27

Rayge wrote:
Geezee wrote:

and so...?

Rayge wrote:I'm with DF,

Just a personal choice, Geezee, referring back to what sloop said in his OP.
I don't enjoy swimming as a spectator sport, and, like DF, feel it is wildly over-represented in terms of medals available.
Phelps is obviously very good quick at it, but as far as I'm concerned he's a big fish in an Olympic-sized pool.

Generally I'd probably agree - but by not even explaining what you meant, you are assuming it should be obvious that swimming is a lesser sport in this context, and as such you are not making a personal choice. And if you look at the list of athletes who have collected the most medals at the olympics, the majority of them are either gymnasts or skiers, so not sure it is over-represented.

(and not sure why you've erased "good" - is that meant to imply Phelps is not a good swimmer? :? )
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Aug 2016, 13:51

Conrad Knight Socks wrote:Ed Moses
Sergey Bubka
Irina Rodnina
Al Oerter

The main argument in favour of phelps is not the number of medals as such, as the fact that he often had to compete in three or four events a day and still wins.
The main arguments against him are the number of medals available at his preferred distances, and the fact that nearly half of his medals are relays.

You could put Michael Johnson in that list too - the only male athlete in history to win both the 200 metres and 400 metres events at the same Olympics.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Aug 2016, 13:56

Conrad Knight Socks wrote:and the fact that nearly half of his medals are relays.

Relays don't bother me - I don't know if Bolt runs the anchor for Jamaica's 4 x 100 relay, but he probably should.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Aug 2016, 14:04

sloopjohnc wrote:
Sergey Bubka
Irina Rodnina
Al Oerter

You could put Michael Johnson in that list too - the only male athlete in history to win both the 200 metres and 400 metres events at the same Olympics.

Or Alberto Juantorena - 400m & 800m.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Aug 2016, 14:04

sloopjohnc wrote:
Conrad Knight Socks wrote:and the fact that nearly half of his medals are relays.

Relays don't bother me - I don't know if Bolt runs the anchor for Jamaica's 4 x 100 relay, but he probably should.

he does - the third element of his "triple" at the last two olympics

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Aug 2016, 14:08

It's one of those discussions I really don't understand- same as this Warriors vs the '96 Bulls-bollocks. Both are phenomenal in their line of work.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Aug 2016, 14:12

Geezee wrote:Generally I'd probably agree - but by not even explaining what you meant, you are assuming it should be obvious that swimming is a lesser sport in this context, and as such you are not making a personal choice. And if you look at the list of athletes who have collected the most medals at the olympics, the majority of them are either gymnasts or skiers, so not sure it is over-represented.

Saying I agreed with DF was me saying that I feel swimming is a lesser sport, as that was what he said, and what sloop was referring to.

Geezee wrote:(and not sure why you've erased "good" - is that meant to imply Phelps is not a good swimmer?

ER, no, it suggests that I don't know how to judge a swimmer's quality and technique in the same way I can appreciate real athletes, gymnasts, footballers, tennis players, cricketers, snooker players and so on. Even divers.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Aug 2016, 14:13

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Sergey Bubka
Irina Rodnina
Al Oerter

Or Alberto Juantorena - 400m & 800m.

johnson maybe - he was very strong in the 200 generally, though only won one olympic gold for it, and he won the 400 twice.

Juantorena - not so much - he didn't win golds at two olympics, let alone 3.

That said, nor did Bubka, but would probably have won in 1984 had he gone. He definitely dominated his event for a long time, but perhaps not enough Olympic success for this thread.

Though Ed Moses only won at two olympics - 1976 and 1984 - he missed 1980 and certainly would have won gold there had he gone.
Last edited by Limpin' Jez McKenzie on 19 Aug 2016, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Aug 2016, 14:14

Lots of opinions, but only three votes.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Aug 2016, 14:24

Rayge wrote:Lots of opinions, but only three votes.

That's because Footy rules them all.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Aug 2016, 14:29

Lasse Viren - 5k & 10k golds at 72 & 76 Olympics?

Emil Zatopek - 10k winner in 48, 5k, 10k and Marathon winner in 52?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”