Premiership 2017/18

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Premiership 2017/18

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2018, 10:47

Toby wrote:The fact that both Mourinho and Conte have both struggled to defend their titles points to structural problems as well. There's obviously something amiss at the club somewhere.

Its a strange thing, it never seems a particularly happy club.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Feb 2018, 12:51

Goat Boy wrote:I'd laugh my arse off if Chelsea failed to get in the top four

Well, I'd get some arse fixings in if were you, as I can see them struggling for sixth
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Feb 2018, 13:01

Looks like West Ham are sniffing around Marco Silva.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Feb 2018, 13:05

Even that would be tight on Moyes.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Feb 2018, 13:34

Well he's only there until the end of the season contractually.

I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of contract becomes more and more common in football - you'll have a strata of top coaches and then essentially upgrades on "caretakers". It's clear that there are a number of managers who cannot compete for whatever reason at the top level. Tactically they're limited, so like Pulis for example, they can take a club to a certain level but not beyond that. Or Allardyce for example, who can steer you clear of relegation etc. The bevy of managers like Pardew, Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis, Hughes etc - have all shown limits on their abilities in the Premier League operating on a merry-go-round of clubs that oscillate between the Championship and the top flight.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Feb 2018, 13:39

Yeah I agree, I think it will become the new thing. I think the old school manager position is practically finished, in top flight football anyway. I think wenger will be the last of it's kind in terms of controlling EVERYTHING.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Feb 2018, 12:37

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42986662

Arsene Wenger: English players may be 'masters' of diving

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 14:02

PFA Wants Mahrez Dispute Settled Soon :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42982134

The PFA has offered to be a mediator, and Taylor said: "If the issue needs us to help then the offer has been made."

He also told BBC Sport that the PFA had been in touch with both the club and the Algeria midfielder. Taylor added: "Leicester are looking to be patient and understanding.

"We hope the player will appreciate the situation as it is at the moment. The sooner this is sorted out the better for everyone.

"But sometimes these things can take a short time and other times a lot longer."

I don't know but maybe the PFA & Taylor need to be telling their member to return to work and honour the contract (which included a huge pay rise) which he signed 2 years ago. I fail to see what needs to be 'mediated' here.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Feb 2018, 14:27

Diamond Dog wrote:I don't know but maybe the PFA & Taylor need to be telling their member to return to work and honour the contract (which included a huge pay rise) which he signed 2 years ago. I fail to see what needs to be 'mediated' here.

They need to decide who is going to put he toys back in the pram.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 10:24

Diamond Dog wrote:PFA Wants Mahrez Dispute Settled Soon :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42982134

The PFA has offered to be a mediator, and Taylor said: "If the issue needs us to help then the offer has been made."

He also told BBC Sport that the PFA had been in touch with both the club and the Algeria midfielder. Taylor added: "Leicester are looking to be patient and understanding.

"We hope the player will appreciate the situation as it is at the moment. The sooner this is sorted out the better for everyone.

"But sometimes these things can take a short time and other times a lot longer."

I don't know but maybe the PFA & Taylor need to be telling their member to return to work and honour the contract (which included a huge pay rise) which he signed 2 years ago. I fail to see what needs to be 'mediated' here.

I agree.
I'm very surprised that when he signed his new contract, which was after he made his huge impact in the premiership, he (or more precisely his representatives) didn't insert a release clause.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2018, 14:17

By the way, did anyone see the Izquierdo goal for Brighton v Stoke yesterday? If that had been Man City, we'd have had pundits salivating over it and calling it 'goal of the season' already.
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Feb 2018, 16:31

Can’t deny it, watching Mourinho’s teams getting beaten does give me way too much pleasure.

borofan

Postby borofan » 11 Feb 2018, 17:17

K wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Can’t deny it, watching Mourinho’s teams getting beaten does give me way too much pleasure.

A normal, natural reaction.

Usually. But not when it's the bloody barcodes doing it. There are limits...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Feb 2018, 18:11

I'm surprised they're still second, it feels like they've been dropping points fairly regularly.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Feb 2018, 08:29

What was particularly pleasant was that the goal came from a free kick, awarded to Newcastle because Chris Smalling decided to dive - completely unnnecessarily- in a non crucial area of the pitch. He was also booked for that. Wonderful thing Karma. :lol:
Cocaine

borofan

Postby borofan » 12 Feb 2018, 16:34

Diamond Dog wrote:What was particularly pleasant was that the goal came from a free kick, awarded to Newcastle because Chris Smalling decided to dive - completely unnnecessarily- in a non crucial area of the pitch. He was also booked for that. Wonderful thing Karma. :lol:

Smalling - just as good at diving as he is at defending. The fact that he is a full international gives perspective on how poor English centre backs are these days.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Feb 2018, 16:46

borofan wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:What was particularly pleasant was that the goal came from a free kick, awarded to Newcastle because Chris Smalling decided to dive - completely unnnecessarily- in a non crucial area of the pitch. He was also booked for that. Wonderful thing Karma. :lol:

Smalling - just as good at diving as he is at defending. The fact that he is a full international gives perspective on how poor English centre backs are these days.

The strange thing about Smalling is that, under Van Der Gaal, he was probably the best English centre back. Certainly for the second season. Jose turned up, criticised him publicly, dropped him and...his form has turned to shit. Yet now he gets picked every week!
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Feb 2018, 19:37

By all accounts it was a one man show from Arnautovic on Saturday. Incredible transformation from the start of the season - and given how we played when he was injured, he's probably responsible for much of our steadily improving form.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 12 Feb 2018, 19:46

Yeah I thought he was a lazy talent, I don't know what moyes said or done but he's playing a blinder. Sparky must be thinking, "fuck happened him?"

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Feb 2018, 19:56

He played mostly on the flank at Stoke. Moyes has him upfront playing with Lanzini and it's working well.

Return to “Sporting Life”