Premiership 2017/18

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Dr Markus

Re: Premiership 2017/18

Postby Dr Markus » 31 Jan 2018, 21:39

Why the fuck did we lose to Swansea? We could be joint 2nd with these results. :cry:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Jan 2018, 22:33

jimboo wrote:So Arsenal want rid of Wenger , who do they want instead?

Ancelotti apparently.

NMB

Postby NMB » 31 Jan 2018, 22:36

The Modernist wrote:

Ancelotti apparently.

You’ve said that before but based on what?
turn on, tune in, nod off

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Feb 2018, 07:28

NMB wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

Ancelotti apparently.

You’ve said that before but based on what?

I don't have any inside info or anything like that, but it's been quite widely reported that he's met with the Arsenal hierachy on a couple of ocassions.
There's an article here, the guy who writes has quite a good knowledge of what's happening inside the club.

http://www.onlinegooner.com/article.php?section=editorial&id=716#.WnLBMFRl_cs

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Feb 2018, 09:36

He's nearly always managed clubs in strong positions with a good team capable of challenging for honours already in place.

Maybe he would see Arsenal as a different challenge. A chance to build a team but would the resources be available? Is he gonna be any cop?

I dunno. It would make me nervous
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Feb 2018, 09:50

Goat Boy wrote:He's nearly always managed clubs in strong positions with a good team capable of challenging for honours already in place.

Maybe he would see Arsenal as a different challenge. A chance to build a team but would the resources be available? Is he gonna be any cop?

I dunno. It would make me nervous

I'm not nervous. We're already the sixth best team, I can't see us falling much below that. We're not going to be worse than Burnley over the next few years.
I would be more nervous if some changes hadn't already been made. The fact we've overhauled our scouting and transfer team gives me some optimism we can be more efficent (to use a Wengerism!) than we have been in the past in those areas. We can hardly be any worse.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Feb 2018, 09:59

I should have said "it wouldn't make me confident you can challenge for the title" rather than "nervous".

The gap between the top 6 and the rest is so big you're right that a club like Arsenal probably won't fall below that but that's not enough is it?

I know Aubameyang has issues but I'm surprised nobody else seemed interested considering his record.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Feb 2018, 10:33

I bought Jordan Hugill on FIFA 17 and he was the worst player I've ever had. 2 goals in 43 appearances.

Hopefully he'll be slightly better for West Ham.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Feb 2018, 12:12

Goat Boy wrote:I should have said "it wouldn't make me confident you can challenge for the title" rather than "nervous".

The gap between the top 6 and the rest is so big you're right that a club like Arsenal probably won't fall below that but that's not enough is it?

No, but we haven't been title challengers for about seven seasons now. Whilst change will no doubt be difficult, it is only through some kind of change ( in manager, but also in the wider stucture of the club) that we can challenge again.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Feb 2018, 12:29

Good to see shea coleman back, for Ireland that is.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 01 Feb 2018, 13:01

In fairness to Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs aren't enough of a heavyweight for them to become too worried about losing out to the Top 4 permanently.

However, Klopp and Pochettino I think are at their respective clubs for the long run. If there's a club that seems to be a bit shaky, it's Chelsea. They look nothing like the team of last season and I wonder just how long Hazard, who is clearly their best player, is going to stay there. Kante has been found out too.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Feb 2018, 18:41

Pretty amazing game at Anfield today. I couldn't find a stream for the first half and the one I found was very choppy, so I can only give linited insight into the game. I was surprised how dominant Spurs were in the second half as if they had an extra man on the pitch, they deserved the point but I didn't think either was a penalty. Salah is just amazing, my favourite player to watch in the premiership. Such amazing energy levels and always a threat.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 Feb 2018, 19:28

Fabulous game to watch but very mucxh a game of two halves - Liverpool were so much the better team for the first 45 minutes, they had to be disappointed going in only one up. But the second half was the reverse with Spurs dominating completely. I think it's straightforward why that was really - the pressing game Liverpool use just wears them down over the course of 90 minutes and they run out of steam, the other part of that being that I'm not sure Klopp really has a Plan B in that circumstance. Bringing on a third centre half (which he does) pretty much concedes even more ground.

Unusually we should give credit to the officials for getting virtually all the major decisions correctly and for trying to allow the game to flow with good use of the advantage rule. Hopefully Klopp will have the decency to retract his post match comments re the first penalty, once he's calmed down and seen the very clear touch by Lovren to negate the offside.

You're right G - Salah is tremendous. Signing of the season without question in my view.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Feb 2018, 19:39

Diamond Dog wrote: the pressing game Liverpool use just wears them down over the course of 90 minutes and they run out of steam, the other part of that being that I'm not sure Klopp really has a Plan B in that circumstance. Bringing on a third centre half (which he does) pretty much concedes even more ground.

Yeah, he almost needs a second midfield on the bench, in the same way props are substituted often in rugby because their power levels drop.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 05 Feb 2018, 01:12

Liverpool were really poor in the second half so it's all they deserved in truth, I knew they'd need a bigger lead at half time, they always do. I'm still gutted about the result.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 05 Feb 2018, 01:20

Wanyama's strike was unstoppable.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Feb 2018, 09:04

I'd laugh my arse off if Chelsea failed to get in the top four

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Feb 2018, 09:12

The fact that both Mourinho and Conte have both struggled to defend their titles points to structural problems as well. There's obviously something amiss at the club somewhere.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Feb 2018, 09:44

Toby wrote:The fact that both Mourinho and Conte have both struggled to defend their titles points to structural problems as well. There's obviously something amiss at the club somewhere.

I think they've joined the real world.

They've actually made money on transfers the past three years - I think (maybe) only Liverpool of the Top Six can say that too.

The old days of the manager going in with a long list of players to sign and that being accommodated are over. Quite clearly Conte feels he has been let down in the market - despite signing Moratta for £60 million to replace Costa (who they sold for a lot less, I think). And Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Emerson, Barkley & Giroud. The only other players of note to depart were Matic, Ake & Cuadrado. Many other managers would like to be so poorly supported.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Feb 2018, 10:07

If you’re not splashing the cash like City you’re hard done by these days. See also Mourinho having a whinge about that. He’s spent about 228 million on players since winning the title.

Return to “Sporting Life”