Premiership 2017/18

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Premiership 2016/17

Postby KeithPratt » 22 May 2017, 10:49

In fairness I think Chelsea were magnificent this season. When you look at the statistics, in particular 30 wins out of a possible 38, that's a seriously impressive record.

I don't think they were as spectacular as Spurs, and sure, the next big test will be the Champion's League, but when you consider that they won that 5 years ago, most of their players are seasoned campaigners. Hazard isn't being talked about as leaving for a bigger club in the way that Henry was with Arsenal. The fact is that players like winning trophies, which is why in the main, they tend to stay unless they're offered farcical sums of money like Costa is.

It's not too hard to say that Chelsea are the best club in England by a country mile right now, something that is reflected in the number of trophies won in the Abramovich era.

As much as all of the above is said very grudgingly.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2017, 11:47

dp
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 22 May 2017, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2017, 11:55

I think Chelsea have been far and way better than everyone - Spurs included- by quite some distance overall. It's only in the past 10 weeks or so that Spurs have matched them - indeed surpassed them on occasion- but the season started back in August and Chelsea have been right there from September onwards, top from November 20th and no one got closer than four points from December onwards. That's domination. And they've played some excellent attacking football too.

Let's face it, if Spurs hadn't put together their incredible run, Chelsea would have won the title way back in early April probably.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 May 2017, 12:07

In terms of being a "team", I think they do resemble United at their height. There are no real weaknesses in the side - they've got a great keeper, a powerful midfield, flexible defenders and their forwards have the ability to play across the line, as well as a world-class striker. They've got an obvious matchwinner in Hazard as well.

I think Tottenham have a great team too, but they've not quite reached the point where one feels that they could truly fend off a bid for a player like Kane or Alli from a top club.

City & Liverpool need to sort their defences before they can think of challenging for the title.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 May 2017, 12:43

Well Liverpool got what they mildly deserved, 4th. While I'm happy I can't help but feel a little disappointed that we weren't in the title race. Not saying we would have won, but when you think back to games we lost or drew due to shit defense, it makes you wonder. Have to say I'm not still 100% convinced by JK, but I guess we'll see.
Last edited by Dr Markus on 22 May 2017, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 May 2017, 13:24

They deserved to get 4th. Yes, they had some shockers but they also played some superb football at times. On the balance of play, for a 1st full season I think Klopp has done well at Liverpool. The big test starts now - but it looks like they'll hold onto Coutinho, and I think Wijnaldum is starting to deliver the goods for them.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 May 2017, 13:33

Toby wrote:They deserved to get 4th. Yes, they had some shockers but they also played some superb football at times. On the balance of play, for a 1st full season I think Klopp has done well at Liverpool. The big test starts now - but it looks like they'll hold onto Coutinho, and I think Wijnaldum is starting to deliver the goods for them.

I'm alone amongst my Liverpool friends when I say I'd sell Philippe Coutinho in the morning. When he shows up he's unstoppable, unfortunately that doesn't happen as much I would like. Hopefully he'll play a more central position as that seems to be when he shines the most. However if barca want to give us 50 mil for him, thanks for the memories Philippe.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2017, 14:02

The Great Defector wrote:I'm alone amongst my Liverpool friends when I say I'd sell Philippe Coutinho in the morning.

FFS. :lol:
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 May 2017, 16:21

Liverpools best creative player. Behave big lad.

There was a period earlier on in the season why it looked like they might challenge but you should be very happy that they made the top 4, Markus. They've made real improvements and I think things look promising for them. If they can sign the right players in the summer then they might kick on again.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 May 2017, 16:37

Goat Boy wrote:Liverpools best creative player. Behave big lad.

There was a period earlier on in the season why it looked like they might challenge but you should be very happy that they made the top 4, Markus. They've made real improvements and I think things look promising for them. If they can sign the right players in the summer then they might kick on again.

He doesn't always show up, I'd rather someone who's more consistent.

I'm happy but you can't blame me for thinking what could have been if we didn't fuck up like we did during the season.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 May 2017, 17:30

If Liverpool can get two decent centre backs and a left back... they've get a chance of progressing. If they lose Sturridge, it won't be a major issue. If they lost Mane or Coutinho, it would be a massive issue for them.
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 May 2017, 17:41

:lol:

David Moyes resigns as Sunderland boss after relegation from Premier League

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40003697

Lucky escape for Sunderland.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 22 May 2017, 18:57

He'll be in Greece next year. Olympiacos are looking for a new manager.
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 May 2017, 19:14

WG Kaspar wrote:He'll be in Greece next year. Olympiacos are looking for a new manager.

As if Greece doesn't have enough problems already. Poor bastards.

borofan

Postby borofan » 23 May 2017, 17:32

The Great Defector wrote::lol:

David Moyes resigns as Sunderland boss after relegation from Premier League

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40003697

Lucky escape for Sunderland.

Not necessarily. Apparently he will have an input into the choice of his successor.

You'd think he'd steer clear considering incumbent recommendation was how he got the Manure job.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 May 2017, 17:50

Haven't the Sunderland suffered enough?

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 May 2017, 19:11

Apparently Allardyce has asked to leave Palace.

That's a turn up for the books.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 May 2017, 19:18

Toby wrote:Apparently Allardyce has asked to leave Palace.

That's a turn up for the books.

I'm sure he'll get another job somewhere. Though if you're a team with ambitions to improve, I don't know why you'd pick him. Then again if you happy just being in the premier league, then he's you guy I suppose.

I'd be all over Marco Silva if I were Parish.

Sunderland, would hardly take him back would they? :?

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 23 May 2017, 20:11

Silva is off to Porto I think.
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 May 2017, 20:13

WG Kaspar wrote:Silva is off to Porto I think.

Aye I read that, I'd still chance my arm.

Return to “Sporting Life”