The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
fange
100% fangetastic

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby fange » 27 Oct 2016, 04:41

Just over a month to go until my 10k run, and training is going along well.

I'm almost down to my desired running weight now, but jeez it wasn't easy. Comes with the years, i guess :( Had to go on a week-long program of 2 walks/runs a day plus crunches to finally get my body to understand what i wanted.

Running stronger and longer now, so as well as the usual 5-8 km runs i will be doing a couple of 10ks a week now to get used to the distance.

Must remember to start applying some Vas. or Papaw O*ntment around the nips and inner thighs - sweat chafing is no joking matter.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Oct 2016, 08:07

Nice work, fange!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 28 Oct 2016, 08:53

fange wrote:
Must remember to start applying some Vas. or Papaw O*ntment around the nips and inner thighs - sweat chafing is no joking matter.

Ouch! Yes it can be nasty. I've not suffered with it for a long time but have had some nasty episodes with it. It's been very hot again this week so plenty of sweating too. Should cool down a bit next week.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Nov 2016, 00:16

Yep, the weather has been very nice for running the last 2 weeks. Warm but not too hot, relatively low humidity for HK.

Been putting the kms into the legs at a great rate - according to my fitbit, i walked and ran about 80 kms last week, a new record for me!

3 weeks to go from yesterday.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Nov 2016, 02:13

Good work Ange. The weather recently has been a huge help in getting out.

I had a final Oxfam Trail Walker training session over the weekend with the hardest 6 stages completed between Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. 16 hours of walking over 54km and a total of 5000m of ascent. Me and all the members of the team I am a reserve for completed it with no major issues so it doesn't seem like I will be needed but I will help them with support at the check points and will walk the final two stages with them to keep up their morale to the finish line.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Nov 2016, 02:29

Awesome!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Nov 2016, 04:24

You guys are animals!

Respect.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Nov 2016, 00:14

6 days to go!

A little tired from the training, but the body is feeling pretty good otherwise.

Fingers crossed this week goes well, and Sunday morning isn't rainy.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 21 Nov 2016, 16:40

Best of luck fange!
Nikki Gradual wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 21 Nov 2016, 23:04

Ta, Belle! Hope you're well and getting some running in too.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Nov 2016, 03:18

Urgent Notice
27-11-2016
The UNICEF Charity Run 2016 which is scheduled to be held today (27 November 2016) is going to be cancelled due to adverse weather condition. Upon risk assessment at the race track by The Hong Kong Committee for UNICEF (UNICEF HK) and supporting organization Hong Kong Amateur Athletic Association, it is being assessed that the race track is not in good condition for the run. For the sake of the safety of the runners, UNICEF HK decided to cancel the event. UNICEF HK is now discussing with Hong Kong Disneyland with regard to pursuing further arrangement of the run, any further details will be announced. If any enquiries of the event, please contact 6898 4715 or 6898 4765.

The Hong Kong Committee for UNICEF

27 November 2016

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 27 Nov 2016, 16:19

Bad luck. I've had sports competitions I've trained for cancelled at the last moment and it's no fun at all. But the work still counts: you've put the miles in and you've got a good base to build on for the next event.

I'm going to go for a jog tomorrow. As some of you on Facebook may know, in August I injured my upper back in the gym. I was only doing light lifting as it was the run-up to the Great North Run in September. I ran that half marathon (slowly) with my arm in a sling and enough Ibuprofen in my system to drop an elephant. The muscle pain slowly, sort-of improved but I started getting tingles in my left arm. Ran a couple fo 10k competitions after that but I knew I wasn't right. MRIs revealed that I had a bulging disk in my cervical spine and some age-related degeneration, which is scary to hear at 41. I've been out of the gym for over 3 months, put on weight, have run a total of about 10k in the last 6 weeks. But the good news is that my spine bulge is 99% recovered and I'm raring to go. It's depressing how quickly the fitness disappears when you're older, though.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 27 Nov 2016, 21:58

Oh fange, gutted for you!
Take it easy coming back, FP.
My next mara is 27 January, out and back on the Leeds-Liverpool canal path from Saltaire.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 28 Nov 2016, 00:35

fange wrote:Urgent Notice
27-11-2016
The UNICEF Charity Run 2016 which is scheduled to be held today (27 November 2016) is going to be cancelled due to adverse weather condition. Upon risk assessment at the race track by The Hong Kong Committee for UNICEF (UNICEF HK) and supporting organization Hong Kong Amateur Athletic Association, it is being assessed that the race track is not in good condition for the run. For the sake of the safety of the runners, UNICEF HK decided to cancel the event. UNICEF HK is now discussing with Hong Kong Disneyland with regard to pursuing further arrangement of the run, any further details will be announced. If any enquiries of the event, please contact 6898 4715 or 6898 4765.

The Hong Kong Committee for UNICEF

27 November 2016

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh that's disappointing. The weather on Saturday was atrocious and it was touch and go whether or not a big hike I was hosting on the Sunday, near where your run was, would go ahead or not but I wisely left it till early Sunday morning before making a call as the weather turned out perfect for the hike. I suppose the race organisers had to make a decision much earlier and it's always safety first.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 28 Nov 2016, 00:47

Fireplug wrote: As some of you on Facebook may know, in August I injured my upper back in the gym. I was only doing light lifting as it was the run-up to the Great North Run in September. I ran that half marathon (slowly) with my arm in a sling and enough Ibuprofen in my system to drop an elephant. The muscle pain slowly, sort-of improved but I started getting tingles in my left arm. Ran a couple fo 10k competitions after that but I knew I wasn't right. MRIs revealed that I had a bulging disk in my cervical spine and some age-related degeneration, which is scary to hear at 41. I've been out of the gym for over 3 months, put on weight, have run a total of about 10k in the last 6 weeks. But the good news is that my spine bulge is 99% recovered and I'm raring to go. It's depressing how quickly the fitness disappears when you're older, though.

I didn't know that. You're right, having age-related degeneration at 41 is scary and hope you get back to full fitness quickly. I had a late chance to join a team for the Oxfam Trail Walker doing it in 24 hours, a bit fast for me but I trained with them a week before and it largely went well till I got knee pain in my left knee coming down the final descent. I went to the hospital and they said it was inflamed tendon and recommended pain killing injections prior to the 100k hike but I decided against that and volunteered to work with the support team at one of the check points instead. I'm still getting some pain now after my hike yesterday - the first tough one for a while - despite only doing light hikes for a couple of weeks. It's frustrating and I hope it clears up as I have a busy 2017 ahead with many races and tough hikes planned in HK and overseas.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 28 Nov 2016, 11:36

Some pics from yesterday's hike to five peaks near where I live (and very close to where Fange's cancelled run was) The day did start off fairly cloudy and menacing but soon cleared to glorious blue skies.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 Nov 2016, 23:11

Yeah, it was the setting up period which was the problem in the end. When they made the call to cancel - around 1-2 am on Sunday - it was actually the last dying hours of the storm, but it was the time when the crew and volunteers needed to do the setting up and moving of gear, and in typical HK fashion they went strongly onto the side of caution.

When I woke up at 4.30 to get ready, the rain had already stopped and it wouldn't start again. All that was left was big puddles. :(

Still, the organisers haven't said it's totally been cancelled - hopefully they can set another date in the next couple of months.

Great pics, Ray! It turned into a really nice day.

Fireplug wrote:Bad luck. I've had sports competitions I've trained for cancelled at the last moment and it's no fun at all. But the work still counts: you've put the miles in and you've got a good base to build on for the next event.

I'm going to go for a jog tomorrow. As some of you on Facebook may know, in August I injured my upper back in the gym. I was only doing light lifting as it was the run-up to the Great North Run in September. I ran that half marathon (slowly) with my arm in a sling and enough Ibuprofen in my system to drop an elephant. The muscle pain slowly, sort-of improved but I started getting tingles in my left arm. Ran a couple fo 10k competitions after that but I knew I wasn't right. MRIs revealed that I had a bulging disk in my cervical spine and some age-related degeneration, which is scary to hear at 41. I've been out of the gym for over 3 months, put on weight, have run a total of about 10k in the last 6 weeks. But the good news is that my spine bulge is 99% recovered and I'm raring to go. It's depressing how quickly the fitness disappears when you're older, though.

Ain't that the truth. Best of luck to you going forward, Fireplug!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Dec 2016, 03:39

trans-chigley express wrote:Lots of hiking these past few weeks with a couple of very memorable ones. First up a stream trek very close to my home, we went the whole way up the stream to its source near the top of the mountain. A very tough trek in sweltering heat with a lot of waterfalls to navigate but so beautiful and there were lots of nice plunge pools to cool off in. It took 8 hours to get up and just 1.5 to get down via a regular track.

Eek don't think I can handle those long big rocks all day. I've done plenty back in the day. Here is one of the bad ones
Chalamain Gap-Boulder Field, Scotland
closer to home - Catherdral Trail on Mt Kadahdin, ME

This is a nice thread hadn't seen it before. Great pictures.
I've been hiking since the 70's, mostly in North America but have been to Peru, a few countries in the Alps, Wales and Scotland and a bunch of caribbean islands. I was a big climb the highest mountain junkie although not snow capped (although I did do Rainer). I completed the highest mountain in 22 states. 19 of 4000 foot mountains in the adirondacks, NY State and 14 of the 14000 ft mountains in Colorado.
Adirondacks

Peters Hills looking at Denali, Alaska

Scottish Highlands - Three Horns of Alligin

Mt Elbert, Colorado

These days can't do the big mountains anymore so I hike and take pictures

Western Mass/Connecticut border

Storm King, NY

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Dec 2016, 04:08

Fabulous!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Dec 2016, 04:38

Gorgeous pics, Hightea. Sounds like you've done a fair bit of over the years and completing the highest mountains in individual States sounds like quite a challenge. Any reason you stopped at 22? I've done those Scottish peaks myself in my youth.

Keep posting any recent pics from your walks, you take a lovely picture.

Return to “Sporting Life”