The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
trans-chigley express

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby trans-chigley express » 28 May 2018, 01:56

Copehead wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:
Copehead wrote:I'm up to a daily 5K in 31:15 now, aim to get it done at 10km/hr eventually.
I think that will be it for my little legs though.

Has the running helped you lose weight? You’re looking in much better shape on the recent photo posted in nextdoorland. 10km/hr is a decent pace

Not per se. The running has got more enjoyable as I have lost weight as I can go faster and further, I used to run at 8.8-8.9 km/hr and now I am around 9.5-9.6km/hr. But I used to run 3-4 days a week when I was 100kg +, but now I run just about every day and at weekends when I am home I go for longer cross country runs. Losing weight happened through taking control of my calorie intake in a very detailed way.

I knew I could never lose weight on one of those drink 2 shakes a day sort of diets as I like food too much, so I still cook and make food I like but I calorie count it. It is a faff and a bity tricky to do at sea as it is all estimation but I lose weight at around 1lb a week and have been doing that for many months now.

The weight loss is slowing down as I approach a normal weight for my height and I am upping the daily exercise time for the next 2-3 months to 1-2 hours/day to push me over that hump and then I will go into weight maintenance mode, up the calories a bit and cut the exercise a bit.

I should also say the 10km/hr will be on a treadmill, I doubt I could get near that cross country.

Well done on losing the weight, that takes serious discipline. I hope you keep it off and stay healthy. A friend of mine lost about 25-30kg over a couple of years of taking up trail running and managing his diet, he liked his food too and refused to do fad diets, just watched the calories like you. He regularly does 100km cross country races now even though he's still a big guy, unthinkable 4 years ago when he was seriously obese.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 May 2018, 03:10

NY/NJ State Line of appalachian Trail - 90 miles -NY state section done!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Sep 2018, 16:21

Hey all, let's resuscitate the old walkin & running thread. How's it going for you guys and gals?

Earlier this year, in March, i had a severe case of tendonitis in both of my ankles (!), by trying to overdo the sports and running in winter without proper warm-ups and post-running stretches, etc. It's taken me months to properly recover, and i'm only now feeling close to 90% recovered, and able to jog continuously for a few kms.

But i'm back in running mode again, and happy to have a goal again - a 10k run at the end of November, tbe annual Unicef HK Disneyland Run. Excited about it!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 10 Sep 2018, 20:31

Doing 40K a week now.

5k Monday to Friday on the treadmill, 5-6 k cross country Saturday, 10k cross country Sunday.
This will end when I inevitably breakdown at some point.

My right achilles is occasionally sore but seems ok at the mo, touch wood.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Sep 2018, 13:45

Copehead wrote:Doing 40K a week now.

5k Monday to Friday on the treadmill, 5-6 k cross country Saturday, 10k cross country Sunday.
This will end when I inevitably breakdown at some point.

My right achilles is occasionally sore but seems ok at the mo, touch wood.

That's really good going, keep it up and hope that breakdown is some way off yet

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Sep 2018, 13:54

I've been training in anger this past few weeks but feeling a bit off the pace and felt quite tired at the weekend after a 40km, 2500m hike. It took 12 hours which is not a good pace though it was very warm and humid and I hadn't really brought enough energy food with me. I need to improve with 4 races signed up in between end of September and mid-November ranging from 22km to 100km. The 100km is my second attempt at Oxfam Trail Walker but with two new team members this time joining myself and my regular hiking partner in crime.

As ever fingers are crossed that injuries are kept at bay but always at the mercy of an overworked tendon or a misplaced step and a twisted ankle.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 16 Sep 2018, 15:04

Good to see you're all doing so well! I had quite a long period of doing hardly anything and was utterly lacking in motivation. Funnily enough I regained interest due to a running group being set up at work back in February or March. Most people in it are quite a bit faster than me, which has made me improve rather than chucking it in in frustration. I must give a shout-out to Parkrun too, which has given me quite a boost as I keep getting PBs!

Now I'm up to 35 miles a week and am signed up for the Beirut Marathon in November. My two most recent injury sites (knee and top of hamstring) keep clamouring for attention but it isn't bad enough to stop me running. Having a sports massage tomorrow. I'm fundraising for MAP so if anyone wants the link do PM me.

You did ask how we were doing, fange.. :D

Here's Kenwood House from my run up to Hampstead Heath yesterday .

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 16 Sep 2018, 15:44

Kenwood House looks freshly painted, it's so gleaming white. Like Bobby Firmino's teeth.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 26 Oct 2018, 11:37

Excellent work, Belle! Lovely place to run.

I started training properly for my 10K Unicef charity run (about a month away now) on October 8th, and have really worked on my diet and running/walking since then.

I'm having cereal or oatmeal for breakie and lunch most days, with veggie stirfries most evenings for early dinner, and I have jogged about 4-5 kms almost every day. Played soccer on Wed. night which was a great workout and refreshing change from the track. And today I jogged 10k, with a couple mins. break each 2k; have pulled up really well now, just got to remember to do my ankle exercises and maybe put on some cream as well.

Have probably lost about 2 kgs over this period, so happy with my progress. Time for a beer tonight! :D
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 26 Oct 2018, 12:59

I've got my 3 races done and dusted in the past few weeks with decent if not spectacular times and now working on my stamina for Oxfam Trail Walker. I took a day off work today and did 30km over the hills near my home this morning, hot and sunny too so it was a bit of a struggle on the ascents. I will do some sweeping for a 70km race tomorrow morning. I'll just sweep the first 20km which happens to include 2 of HK's 3 highest mountains on route so it's not an easy 20km but will be good training and boy do I need it....100km sounds very daunting right now, I'm just not in the same shape I was this time last year.

Time for a deserved beer tonight for me also.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Nov 2018, 03:37

I had a final major training session this weekend for my Trailwalker next week. The team completed 55km and 3400m ascent without any injuries or niggles. Very pleased that my two new teams mates completed it with some encouragement as it's completely new territory for them never having done such long distance and elevation. The pace was slow for me and my other team mate but priority is getting us all over the line successfully so our time is not important.

Now its time to rest with some light hikes to keep the muscles active and plenty of carb loading. An excuse to indulge in lots of food :D

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Nov 2018, 04:12

Excellent, good luck in the final prep. stage, Ray.

About 18 days till my 10 km race, and i'm into the stage now where i'm really trying to increase my speed. I've been running almost every day now for a month and have lost 2-3 kgs, so may goal is around the 50 mins. mark for the 10k.

Sunday and yesterday I ran 6kms at as pacey a speed as i could, but only managed it in around 33 mins. - not too far off the average time i need, but it still means i'll have to try shave another 10-15 secs off per km, plus keep it up till the 10k mark. Yesterday run DID feel better though, like my body is getting used to what is being asked of it, so that was a good sign. Going to make the most of these weeks to keep doing that, get the run in the legs and the aerobic fitness up.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 18 Nov 2018, 18:24

Did the Beirut Marathon a week ago. Great atmosphere and not a bad course apart from a rather smelly bit near the industrial zone. I managed 4:45 which while being nothing like my best time is much, much better than my last two marathons. I have to decide now whether I can improve enough for an ultra I signed up to next March.

Nikki Gradual wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 18 Nov 2018, 18:26

Also, good luck, fange! I saw Ray had done his - excellent
Nikki Gradual wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 Nov 2018, 02:45

Belle Lettre wrote:Did the Beirut Marathon a week ago. Great atmosphere and not a bad course apart from a rather smelly bit near the industrial zone. I managed 4:45 which while being nothing like my best time is much, much better than my last two marathons. I have to decide now whether I can improve enough for an ultra I signed up to next March.

Belle, well done! Great to see.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 20 Nov 2018, 04:23

Well done Belle, you are looking great in the photo, still fresh! :D

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 20 Nov 2018, 04:50

Belle Lettre wrote:Also, good luck, fange! I saw Ray had done his - excellent

Yes we made it, but it was tougher than last year. at 31 hours it was 4 hrs longer than last year and that extra time on your feet really wears you out. Our two new teams members (the two in the centre in the photo) went through periods when they really struggled with Kim the Korean lady barely able to keep awake over night and having to be pulled along by captain Daisy while I carried her bag, then later the tall New Zealander Toby's feet and legs were full of blisters and heat rash and he could barely walk for the last 20km but kept battling on despite the pain he must have been experiencing. We had some lousy weather too which didn't help but we got there in the end with team fully intact - which is the main objective - so we're really happy :D .

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 20 Nov 2018, 05:22

Great effort, well done!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 20 Nov 2018, 12:22

Yes indeed, that must have been tough keeping going.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Nov 2018, 21:45

Congratulations, Carol.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Sporting Life”