FA told Graham Taylor not to pick too many black players for England

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: FA told Graham Taylor not to pick too many black players for England

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Jun 2015, 13:11

You haven't earnt one.

Simply because I have stated there is still both overt and covert racism in football - the overt is certainly is much smaller than previously, but it's still there. And the covert racism is clearly still in place, if only taking the appallingly low % of non white managers.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 30 Aug 2015, 22:27

Diamond Dog wrote:You haven't earnt one.

Simply because I have stated there is still both overt and covert racism in football - the overt is certainly is much smaller than previously, but it's still there. And the covert racism is clearly still in place, if only taking the appallingly low % of non white managers.

Well, I've got a freezerful anyway, but in fact I did point out that skope was seeing 'racism' purely in terms of personal hostile overt action and was unaware of the concepts of passive institutional and cultural racism, which is why he was reacting so strongly before it all got very silly.
The fact that I've been denied the oral gratification on basis of a disputable technicality is, well, a disappointment to me

:|
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 31 Aug 2015, 10:58

Rayge wrote:

The fact that I've been denied the oral gratification on basis of a disputable technicality is, well, a disappointment to me

:|

Alas , we all have at various times Rayge.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 May 2017, 14:09

Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 May 2017, 20:41

Interesting stuff, especially the Brian Deane article in The Guardian. I can see why someone might not take a punt on Dwight Yorke, because he had such a reputation as being basically a piss-artist and playboy (although, of course if he was white, there was a good chance he'd have had a better press about that). But Brian Deane was one of those players who always came across as a proper pro, kept his head down, worked hard and made the most of his natural talent. It sounds like he tried to enter the game at a suitable level, and was basically slapped down, which I don't believe would happen to a white ex-player of his calibre.

It does look like not many black or ethnic minority players are applying for those coaching badges though, (Uefa Pro-Licence: 6.5% in 2011), is that due to institutionalised racism? It doesn't sound like there's much encouragement for a young black manager.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 May 2017, 13:44

As I said earlier on.... if the guys don't feel they have a fair chance of even being interviewed (let alone chosen) they won't apply. The Rooney Rule in the US absolutely proved that point.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Jan 2018, 21:46

Well well.... what a shame Adam isn't here to comment :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42623021

He must be imbibing Class A's in prodigious amounts at the news.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”