England Cricket Team Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: England Cricket Team Thread

Postby Lord Rother » 22 Dec 2017, 19:34

I just think it is fucking ridiculous that sledging and abuse of any kind is allowed in sport, and when it is justified as “all part of the game” it is sickening.

In most walks of civilised society it would not be tolerated.

Quite rightly coaches in cycling, gymnastics and other sports have been kicked out for creating an environment of fear through verbal and psychological intimidation.

One day (soon I suspect) the focus will move to cricket and sledging will be stopped and everyone will be asking themselves how the hell they let it happen in the first place.

“We all knew it was happening and nobody did a damn thing to stop it.”

Where have we heard that before?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Dec 2017, 19:36

PENK wrote: It seems that any criticism of Australia's approach is just shrugged off as "pommie whinging".

I think that may be because, as the Aussies see it, the English only ever complain about sledging having lost a series.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 23 Dec 2017, 02:52

Anderson accusing the Australian's of bullying is a bit rich, and I dare say he used it as a way to get his own team into a more competitive frame of mind. He and Broad have been having a go at Smith quite a bit this tour, and they seemed to successfully get under his skin in Adelaide. In India recently Australia copped plenty from Kohli and his team. The Barmies in their own way are master sledgers, having a go at Lyon's marital problems recently. And yeah we do plenty too.

Even though criticism is often deserved Australians see a bit of hypocrisy. Maybe this criticism is a strategy used by other teams. Maybe we are the original sinners. Nevertheless (like Ian Chappell!) I'm no fan of it.

It's hard for umpires and officials to come down on sledging because of the nature of how cricket is run. It would be impossible to get all boards to somehow agree on a standard. And every decision would end up getting appealed. It would just become a mess.
king of the divan

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Dec 2017, 11:13

Well, there’s England’s good day for the match. Good to see Broad and Cook contribute at last, and well done to Curran on a maiden test wicket. Plenty of batting to come but on an individual level Root really needs to make something of this platform. Bat out tomorrow and they’re in real control.

I expect to wake up tomorrow and find that they were all out for 274 and Australia have pushed on to 235-2 in their second innings.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Dec 2017, 12:23

Whilst it is of course great to see Cook and Broad produce the goods - it really is too late now. The main pressure to perform has gone because the Ashes are gone.

After their abject failures when it actually mattered they will both doubtless be considering their retirement so the mind and body will be looser.

It would be good to go on and win the game but really.....

under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Dec 2017, 00:04

Stupid game.
king of the divan

under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Dec 2017, 07:02

At least we didn't have that difficult hour to bat before the end of play!
king of the divan

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Dec 2017, 11:58

Well done Cook, and “happy” that he actually sounded absolutely gutted and even a little emotional about not having been able to produce the goods until it was too late.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 04 Jan 2018, 07:58

I’m starting to think England should drop Root and tell him to come back when he’s sorted his head out. He clearly has some kind of mental issue about this conversion rate thing.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 04 Jan 2018, 08:04

And why the fuck did Bairstow come out to face the new ball for five minutes instead of sending out a nightwatchman? Imbecilic stuff. Congratulations on your 4-0 victory, Australia.

borofan

Postby borofan » 05 Jan 2018, 16:53

PENK wrote:And why the fuck did Bairstow come out to face the new ball for five minutes instead of sending out a nightwatchman? Imbecilic stuff. Congratulations on your 4-0 victory, Australia.

So who would you suggest as nightwatchman? Curran or Crane, two extremely inexperienced players in their 2nd and 1st games respectively? Broad, who has no defensive technique, or Anderson, who does not want to do it anymore?
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 05 Jan 2018, 23:06

Looks like a great Test in South Africa. India, after playing a zillion Tests at home, have a lot to prove. Great to see Steyn back. Mind you we have to face that lot soon. The quicks: Starc, Hazlewood & Cummins v Steyn, Rabada, Philander & Morkel.
king of the divan

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Jan 2018, 23:20

borofan wrote:
PENK wrote:And why the fuck did Bairstow come out to face the new ball for five minutes instead of sending out a nightwatchman? Imbecilic stuff. Congratulations on your 4-0 victory, Australia.

So who would you suggest as nightwatchman? Curran or Crane, two extremely inexperienced players in their 2nd and 1st games respectively? Broad, who has no defensive technique, or Anderson, who does not want to do it anymore?

Curran, who is most capable with the bat regardless of experience, or Anderson, who should do what he’s told to by his captain and coach for the sake of the team.
And apparently Crane was padded up ready to go.

Even if Bairstow had survived he would have had to start over against the new ball again the day after. The nightwatchman is supposed to be a sacrifice but instead one of the key batsmen gave it away. Foolhardy decisions are a hallmark of this England team.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 05 Jan 2018, 23:34

mentalist (slight return) wrote:Looks like a great Test in South Africa. India, after playing a zillion Tests at home, have a lot to prove. Great to see Steyn back. Mind you we have to face that lot soon. The quicks: Starc, Hazlewood & Cummins v Steyn, Rabada, Philander & Morkel.

Yes I was actually shocked at how well India bowled, but then 28/3 doesn't look great at the end of the day. At least Pujara still in but the batting look a bit thin overall.
I run out of talent

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Jan 2018, 09:04

It is the next batsman’s decision as to whether he wants to use a night watchman.

So it was Bairstow’s call. Malan was surprised when he came out.

under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 07 Jan 2018, 22:17

My god it was hot. Poor buggers earned every cent of their match payment. Mad dogs and Englishmen.
king of the divan

under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Jan 2018, 09:09

Short summary - this is the least memorable Ashes I can remember for a while, certainly this century. There weren't any really memorable Tests. Adelaide was probably my favourite. Seeing Pat Cummins releasing all the immense potential he has, and Steven Smith continuing his remorseless accumulation of runs were takeouts. Lyon was on the verge of being dropped a year ago and he continues his form reversal. For England, well I admire Anderson a lot, but at his age he shouldn't be bowling so many overs. Malan is definitely a keeper. Well no he's actually a batsman.
king of the divan

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Jan 2018, 09:17

Props for Root suiting up after a stay in hospital this morning and getting his half century.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 08 Jan 2018, 15:53

Updated list - England’s last 27 Tests.

280 runs
Innings and 88 runs
9 wickets
Drawn
75 runs
330 runs
141 runs
10 wickets
22 runs
108 runs
Drawn
246 runs
8 wickets
Innings and 36 runs
Innings and 75 runs
211 runs
340 runs
239 runs
177 runs
Innings and 209 runs
9 wickets
5 wickets
10 wickets
120 runs
Innings and 41 runs
Match Drawn
Innings and 123 runs

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Jan 2018, 19:46

Something to build on.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Sporting Life”