England Cricket Team Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: England Cricket Team Thread

Postby Penk! » 24 Jan 2019, 17:37

Well, after everyone got carried away during the Sri Lanka series we can reassure ourselves with the knowledge that no, what we all thought was in fact true: England’s batting is utter, utter shit.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

borofan

Postby borofan » 24 Jan 2019, 17:46

PENK wrote:Well, after everyone got carried away during the Sri Lanka series we can reassure ourselves with the knowledge that no, what we all thought was in fact true: England’s batting is utter, utter shit.

Why not just set the scoreboard to a default 40-3 and start with Root and Stokes...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

borofan

Postby borofan » 24 Jan 2019, 17:47

borofan wrote:
PENK wrote:Well, after everyone got carried away during the Sri Lanka series we can reassure ourselves with the knowledge that no, what we all thought was in fact true: England’s batting is utter, utter shit.

Why not just set the scoreboard to a default 40-3 and start with Root and Stokes...

But then again ...58-7!
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Jan 2019, 08:29

In a way I have to say that they got what they deserved with the team selection: the spinners aren't good enough outside places like Sri Lanka so just stop trying to build them up and stick to your strengths. Broad was in superb form in the warm-ups and Curran isn't a new-ball bowler. They made a mess of the bowling and had they perhaps got that right and restricted the Windies to a total closer to 200, the batsmen might themselves have been more circumspect and careful having seen that the pitch had demons and danger in it.

Credit to Kemar Roach, though, he looks a top-level bowler these days. And Jason Holder has also developed into a quality bowler. Indeed there are quite a few players in this Windies side with talent: the bowling attack could be the best they've had since Ambrose and Walsh retired and though there's nobody at the level of that generation's Lara, Gayle or Sarwan with the bat, the likes of Hope and Hetmyer do show a lot of promise if not consistency.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 25 Jan 2019, 22:57

What a difference a day makes. 18 wickets on day 2, 0 wickets on day 3.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Jan 2019, 06:31

Bizarre wasn't it? England had given up by halfway through the morning session: I have no idea why Root kept bowling Anderson and Stokes once the lead was over 400.

The Caribbean does produce some "interesting" pitches - wasn't there one match in about 1998 that had to be abandoned in the first session because every ball was flying off at crazy angles and paces and smashing into body parts, and even the bowlers expressed concern?

Still, rather a pitch like this than the kind of subcontinental biscuit where the match strategy is "hope to win toss and bat first".

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jan 2019, 20:47

Well that was pretty shit wasn’t it?

Burns
Denly
Bairstow
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes
Ali
Leach
Broad
Anderson

Sounds like we are likely to need two spinners in Antigua so Moeen gets another go.

The team did very well in 2018 so let’s not get too down on them but it is worrying that we lack character when our backs are against the wall. This pitch did nothing but faced with an impossible target we just seem to crumble mentally which is very poor.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Jan 2019, 20:58

Roston Chase had a test match bowling average of 47.61 before today, averaging about 1.6 wickets per match. His one previous five-fer was when he took 5/121 as India racked up a total of 500/9 declared and won by an innings.

England were basically bowled out by Graeme Hick.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jan 2019, 21:52

:lol:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Jan 2019, 12:00

And Jason Holder, the guy who scored an unbeaten double century?

He now has three career first-class centuries. Two of them in tests against England.

The other was against Zimbabwe.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Jan 2019, 12:13

PENK wrote:Roston Chase had a test match bowling average of 47.61 before today, averaging about 1.6 wickets per match. His one previous five-fer was when he took 5/121 as India racked up a total of 500/9 declared and won by an innings.

England were basically bowled out by Graeme Hick.

Bob Willis used the expression "Skittled out by Joe Root". Similar.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 29 Jan 2019, 07:21

It’s OK folks, I dreamt about the second test last night and it went swimmingly for England. Michael Atherton and Stuart Broad both scored centuries opening the batting and there was a fifty for someone in the middle order who may have been either James Taylor or, when my unconscious mind remembered that he’d quit and cast around desperately for another tiny sportsman it could be, Frankie Dettori.

Then Joe Root arrived on the sidelines, having oresumably not been picked, and the dream wandered off into a subplot where we needed to get some clothes for a graduation party.

:?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 31 Jan 2019, 14:50

Another stellar opening partnership unearthed by England, then.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 31 Jan 2019, 15:32

Cam't blame Joe Root for that though - that was just a freak bounce.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Jan 2019, 15:52

Buttler’s popped up off the pitch.

Pre match the talk was of a flat pitch, well if it carties on like this I can’t see it reaching Day 4.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Feb 2019, 18:35

I am going to be controversial here and say that the main difference between the two teams in this match has been luck (and a drop or two by England) - the Windies batsmen have seen their wild swipes miss the ball altogether, their edges go in the gaps, where England seemed to lose a wicket for every mistake. Campbell had more lives than a boat full of cats; on another day, Broad would have got one of his 6-25 bowling figures and England would have a first innings lead.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Feb 2019, 16:07

I tend to agree.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 02 Feb 2019, 16:53

I think Burns could make it but we really, really need to find a proper opener before the Ashes. Denly looks totally out of his depth. At least Jennings is a quality fielder!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 02 Feb 2019, 17:51

You are Jonny Bairstow and you are batting at number 3 for a team needing to bat time and put on runs in order to save the series. One of the openers has gone playing a poor shot and you as the senior batsman in the partnership need to show responsibility and grit.

Do you:

a) block and leave carefully, punishing the bad balls, emulating your opponents' batting in order to stick around and help the team build a big total?
b) have a wild swing at a straight one when you've been at the crease 15 minutes, completely miss it and get bowled?

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 02 Feb 2019, 20:46

Well, that was all depressingly familiar wasn't it?

Return to “Sporting Life”