England Cricket Team Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: England Cricket Team Thread

Postby copehead » 19 Jun 2018, 20:02

Lord Rother wrote:England giving Australia a fearsome battering at the moment.

290-1 off 32 overs.

Could 500 be on?

nearly
Astonishing stuff
In the 70s/80s 250 was a good score
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Jun 2018, 20:19

I have a (not entirely popular) view that when Stokes comes back it should be for Root not Hales or Roy.

Root is a marvellous accumulator of 50s and 60s but his strike rate is 86 which is ok but not great.

Batting as deep as we do, in most games a 50 off 50 balls is worth significantly more than 75 off 100.

And there is no way that Root can do to an attack what Roy, Bairstow, Hales and Morgan did today. Or indeed what Stokes, Buttler and Moeen can do on another day.

The game is moving on and to be the World Champions I think we need to consider how we can make 400 every time. Root would not feature for me.

This is not a criticism of him, it’s just horses for courses.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 19 Jun 2018, 20:32

Lord Rother wrote:I have a (not entirely popular) view that when Stokes comes back it should be for Root not Hales or Roy.

Root is a marvellous accumulator of 50s and 60s but his strike rate is 86 which is ok but not great.

Batting as deep as we do, in most games a 50 off 50 balls is worth significantly more than 75 off 100.

And there is no way that Root can do to an attack what Roy, Bairstow, Hales and Morgan did today. Or indeed what Stokes, Buttler and Moeen can do on another day.

The game is moving on and to be the World Champions I think we need to consider how we can make 400 every time. Root would not feature for me.

This is not a criticism of him, it’s just horses for courses.

Isn't he the glue that holds all the sloggers together though?
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Jun 2018, 21:21

Possibly.

Great player though he is (he WILL start scoring Test centuries again soon!) I just feel he will get in the way of a batting line up of Roy, Bairstow, Hales, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes and Moeen that is capable of great scores at a great clip.

It’s just a thought and discussion point really but I don’t think Hales should be discarded.

Maybe Wood will be dropped if Stokes is able to bowl his full 10 overs?

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 20 Jun 2018, 00:24

No wonder we had sandpaper, the only way we could get any fucking grit into our side. How embarrassing.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 23 Jun 2018, 14:42

Copehead wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:England giving Australia a fearsome battering at the moment.

290-1 off 32 overs.

Could 500 be on?

nearly
Astonishing stuff
In the 70s/80s 250 was a good score

And while I understand that they are two different games, you have to wonder how we can score 450-ish off 50 overs, and still struggle to get to 200 on the first day of a test.
Bless the weather.......Image

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Jun 2018, 17:21

A very different game but wouldnt it be great if the selectors, as an experiment, decided to give the ODI team the nod to play a Test with the brief to go out and play as if it was limited overs and see what happened.

Could be the birth of a revolution in Test cricket.

I know, I know. It’ll never happen.

borofan

Postby borofan » 23 Jun 2018, 17:41

Lord Rother wrote:A very different game but wouldnt it be great if the selectors, as an experiment, decided to give the ODI team the nod to play a Test with the brief to go out and play as if it was limited overs and see what happened.

Could be the birth of a revolution in Test cricket.

I know, I know. It’ll never happen.

The exact problem with the England batting in test cricket over the last couple of years IS that (Cook excepted) they have been playing like it's an ODI. You can get away with a lot against the white ball on a typical ODI road which you can't when you are batting against a red ball on a pitch which offers something (anything!) to the bowlers. You can get away with technical errors in white ball which you can't in red - James Vince being the perfect example - he has technical errors which he repeats over and over again. Hales was found out in test cricket, Roy undoubtedly would be. Also take into account that in this series, Australia are down to their third string seam attack. It wouldn't be so easy against Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Pattinson etc.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Jun 2018, 17:51

I know all that and it is an experiment that would most likely be doomed to failure for sure.

It’d still be interesting and fun.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Jul 2018, 12:01

Well the selection of Rashid suggests that they really are letting ODI success go to their heads...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Jul 2018, 12:36

Yeah, but I really can’t support that.

He as near as damnit said he was retiring from red ball cricket. What bollock brained thinking made Ed Smith & Co think it would be a good idea to bring him back into the Test team I cannot fathom.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 27 Jul 2018, 16:12

There is precedent for that though.
I run out of talent

borofan

Postby borofan » 27 Jul 2018, 18:43

Rashid has been a disruptive influence in the Yorkshire dressing room for a long time. Remember, he refused to play in the 2016 Championship decider against Middlesex at Lords without ever properly explaining why.

What has annoyed many is not just that he sacked off Champo cricket this year, but that he waited until 4 weeks before the start of the season to inform the club of his intentions, giving them no time to make alternative arrangements, then spent the whole of April and half of May sitting on his backside at home because no IPL franchise wanted him.

He signed a white ball only contract for this year only. Another has been offered for next year, but he has not as yet signed it. Rumour is that he wants to join his mate Moeen at Worcester. If that's the case, I'll happily contribute a couple of quid to his bus fare and he can piss off today.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Jul 2018, 20:12

It's a desperate pick. They've lost the plot.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 28 Jul 2018, 18:02

It’s a disgrace. Why dump Bess? Keep him in and let him develop. Leach has bowled more overs in red ball cricket than Rashid.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2018, 19:36

Jumper K wrote:It’s a disgrace. Why dump Bess? Keep him in and let him develop. Leach has bowled more overs in red ball cricket than Rashid.

You've bowled more overs in red ball cricket than Rashid.....
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 28 Jul 2018, 22:01

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jumper K wrote:It’s a disgrace. Why dump Bess? Keep him in and let him develop. Leach has bowled more overs in red ball cricket than Rashid.

I’ve played 3 times this year. Haven’t bowled an over. I’ve averaged 48 over 3 innings. I’m waiting for my call up.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2018, 22:18

Jumper K wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

I’ve played 3 times this year. Haven’t bowled an over. I’ve averaged 48 over 3 innings. I’m waiting for my call up.

Opener for you then matey!
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Aug 2018, 17:14

When Root passed 50 and England were around 145-3, I commented that now he really needed to play a big innings, for his own sake and for the team: he would be the difference between 260 all out and 400+.
I checked the score a while later and saw he was on 80, and wondered how he’d contrive to get out this time. And of course instead of him and Bairstow pushing England on to a commanding score at stumps, they’re now in the middle of yet another collapse.

I think it’s sports psychologist time for him. Unbelievable.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Aug 2018, 18:19

To be fair he can't be blamed for possibly the worst call by a batsman all year - fuck knows what Bairstow is thinking of but that was miles away.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”