Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Re: England Cricket Team Thread

Postby copehead » 10 Sep 2018, 20:24

borofan wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Copehead wrote:
We've been lucky to be able to watch a team with him and Anderson in as they will always have a chance.
We won't be able to watch that much longer, well after today really. Anderson must be getting near the end too although he is still our best bowler by a distance.

I know everyone always talks about Anderson needing the conditions etc but, even in unfavourable circumstances, he rarely gets shredded. He is a wonderful bowler all the time, just absolutely unplayable when the right conditions exist. At 35 there can't be too much left in the tank but you'd think he'd like to finish off with a home Ashes series (next season), wouldn't you?

Anderson said a few weeks ago that he wants to carry on for another 3 years. Not sure that he can last that long, but gives an idea of what he reckons he's got left in the tank. Undoubtedly one of the most skilful seam bowlers there's ever been. Remember how well he bowled last time England played Pakistan in UAE - absolutely nothing in the pitches for him, but bowled so tightly that all Pakistan did was see him off and wait for the spinners.

Drew level with Glenn McGrath today, Kumble might be in reach if he continues that long, Warne and Mulli probably not. But 3rd on the all time list and highest pace bowler/seamer would be a fitting end to a stellar career. Broad is top 10 as well, what a stunning attack they have been, Broad is streaky but you don't get top 10 by just being streaky. They are both unplayable when they get the conditions and hit the groove.

How lucky we have been to live in the Cook/Anderson/Broad era. With Root looking to join that list.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 10 Sep 2018, 21:12

I don't really get why England didn't rest Anderson and/or Broad for this game in order to give someone else - Porter, Jamie Overton are the names people drop - a run. They will need new bowlers soon enough and I don't think Curran or Stokes are going to be new-ball men. Woakes blows hot and cold too.

The focus being on Cook perhaps helped Root today (although he got lucky with one or two drops as well). He's got all the talent to be as good as Kohli or Smith and has done so before, but his head has quite clearly not been in the right place over the last couple of years. Let's hope he can push on and start dominating games again rather than getting out for 72 all the time.

Wonderful to see Cook finish with a century, even if I felt he should have quit a bit sooner. The problem now for England is that Jennings has had a horrible summer and they are probably stuck with him rather than bringing in two new openers. Surely Burns has to get the nod?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Sep 2018, 16:19

And just like that, we’re reminded why Moeen and Rashid were dropped in the first place. The odd good performance but by God they’re unreliable. I can’t imagine any other country’s spinners getting tonked like this on a day five pitch with a 450+ target.

Fantastic batting from Rahul and Pant, though.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Sep 2018, 16:55

Well that did the trick! Is ”reverse jinx” a thing?

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Sep 2018, 22:05

PENK wrote:And just like that, we’re reminded why Moeen and Rashid were dropped in the first place. The odd good performance but by God they’re unreliable. I can’t imagine any other country’s spinners getting tonked like this on a day five pitch with a 450+ target.

Fantastic batting from Rahul and Pant, though.

I think all spinners would be happy to get tonked in such circumstances, it is really the whole point isn't it to make them hit out till the hole out?

Obviously they wouldn't have done that if there hadn't have been 400 runs to play with but there were. And they got the important wickets on the last day.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Sep 2018, 05:51

Why the hell did Root take ten full overs before taking the new ball? Inexplicable.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 12 Sep 2018, 10:58

Diamond Dog wrote:Why the hell did Root take ten full overs before taking the new ball? Inexplicable.

Not if you are determined to carry on with spin bowling surely.

For some reason, despite the overcast conditions, the ball wasn't doing much for the seamers yesterday and it was spin that took the heart out of the Indian innings.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Sep 2018, 11:05

Copehead wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Why the hell did Root take ten full overs before taking the new ball? Inexplicable.

For some reason, despite the overcast conditions, the ball wasn't doing much for the seamers yesterday and it was spin that took the heart out of the Indian innings.

Until they skittled three out in a few overs with the new ball, that is.
Cocaine

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 12 Sep 2018, 12:15

Diamond Dog wrote:
Copehead wrote:

Until they skittled three out in a few overs with the new ball, that is.

Yes but that was the tail end by then wasn't it, it was Rahul and Pang ( or whoever he was ) they had to get out and that was the spinners because the seamers were doing nothing against them.

It was horses for courses they had a lot of runs to play with so they played with them, the seamers had their chance at start of play and did nothing, Stokes was rubbish, Broad has a broken rib and you can't bowl Jimmy for days on end.

I think it was the right decision, possibly the only decision.

Anyway it worked, no harm done.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Sep 2018, 15:50

So taking the new ball 45 minutes earlier (10 overs) would have been a disaster?

Of course it wouldn't. I think Root had a brain freeze.
Cocaine

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 11 Oct 2018, 23:57

I hate the title of this thread. Anyhow a draw for the ages last night. Great performance from Khawaja, with stellar support from Head, Paine and Lyon
king of the divan

borofan

Postby borofan » 12 Oct 2018, 17:58

mentalist (slight return) wrote:I hate the title of this thread. Anyhow a draw for the ages last night. Great performance from Khawaja, with stellar support from Head, Paine and Lyon

You could always start a new thread...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 12 Oct 2018, 21:06

borofan wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote:I hate the title of this thread. Anyhow a draw for the ages last night. Great performance from Khawaja, with stellar support from Head, Paine and Lyon

Yeah but it wouldn't get many posts!
king of the divan

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Oct 2018, 11:39

During today’s game England bowled their 10,000th consecutive ball in ODIs without an overstep no ball.

That’s pretty cool.

Marginal gains philosophy at work!?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Oct 2018, 11:48

borofan wrote:

I already did, back in 2016! Now bumped. :D

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 06 Nov 2018, 06:58

Nice to have some test cricket again. Life feels oddly empty without a shocking top order collapse to get angry about.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Nov 2018, 22:48

Yet again the lower order show the top boys how to play Test cricket.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 09 Nov 2018, 07:20

Lord Rother wrote:Yet again the lower order show the top boys how to play Test cricket.

Yep, great innings from Foakes and Curran looks like he could be the real deal as an all-rounder.

But Jennings took a big step in this game: perhaps with Cook's retirement, he can feel more comfortable and able to play his own more cautious game? Or will this innings just be a blip that buys him a bit more time? To be honest, England should be happy with two openers who can grind down the new-ball bowlers. No need to have a Flash Harry opening when you've got Moeen, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow (if he can get back in the team now) and Curran further down.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 09 Nov 2018, 11:46

Proper test spin bowling by a proper spin bowler. Well done Jack.

borofan

Postby borofan » 09 Nov 2018, 17:56

PENK wrote:But Jennings took a big step in this game: perhaps with Cook's retirement, he can feel more comfortable and able to play his own more cautious game?

Contrast: he averages over 70 in Asia, and 17 in England. Both his test centuries have been scored in Asia. His great weakness has been against seam bowling on English pitches. Sri Lanka's seamers shouldn't bother any competent test batsman.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Return to “Sporting Life”