BCB England football team thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: BCB England football team thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Nov 2018, 15:58

A really good footballing display and a lot of guts to come from behind for a thoroughly deserved win. Excellent stuff.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 19 Nov 2018, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 18 Nov 2018, 16:48

Yes, they looked the most imaginative and dangerous England side in recent memory; this victory and the win in Spain are big strides forward. Some wobbly moments at the back, still, but they’re into another semi-final.

This Nations League thing has turned out to be a lot of fun and the teams seem to genuinely care.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Nov 2018, 17:33

Most enjoyable England team to watch that I can ever remember. ‘66 and ‘70 are a bit dim in the memory.

What Southgate has done is remarkable really.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 18 Nov 2018, 18:37

And not a Jack Wilshire in sight!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Nov 2018, 18:58

Toby wrote:And not a Jack Wilshire in sight!

Nor at London Stadium (all season).
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Nov 2018, 07:10

Yeah, you’re right, just think how good this team could be with a fit Wilshere pulling the strings in midfield!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 19 Nov 2018, 11:15

Fair play to Southgate though. They are looking more and more like a confident team with each game. The defence in particular looks fairly robust and I can’t see either Gomez or Stones being ousted from those central defence positions for some time if they keep up that sort of form. Both under 24 too. There just seem to be a lot more options and flexibility in squad and that the systems are being adjusted to the players rather than the latter being made to play a certain way.

I still think we are some way off Belgium or France, but there is no doubt that significant progress has been made this year. The World Cup jaunt I suspect has galvanised the younger generation of players who now think “maybe there is a chance of a trophy”:

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Nov 2018, 11:56

Maguire must be in the picture as well.

I would probably favour him over Stones to be honest (just).

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Nov 2018, 12:07

I like the way three at the back has morphed to 4-3-3 seamlessly. I like that we've had Cherwell come through at left back and looks certain to retain that spot for a long time (he's certainly a better defender than Shaw and Rose just seems to find one reason or the other not to pick him). Stones and Gomez are (potentially) a fanastic pairing - both very good with the ball and (crucially) quicker than Maguire (Gomez is lightning fast). I like that he's settled on Kane/Rashford/Sterling up front. The only area that looks open is the middle three really - I think Delph done himself all sorts of favours yesterday. Barkley is the one player we have in that role who can go past people at pace (but still has mental aberrations that he needs to curtail).... I think it's either Dier or Henderson as a holding player (though I think Delph could do that, leaving space for a more creative choice).

But, overall, I really like that Southgate isn't resting on his laurels and is still looking to get new blood in and experiment. We could be on the verge of something very good.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 19 Nov 2018, 14:17

What impressed me yesterday was that, with the need to chase the game after the Croatian goal, Southgate had genuine quality to turn to. He brought on Lingard, who has lately looked very assured in an England shirt, and the ridiculously precocious Sancho. Players like that show the strength in depth that England now have, as there isn't much difference in quality between the starting eleven and their reserve options. And it worked, so as the Croatian players tired, England converted two set pieces to claim a deserved victory.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Nov 2018, 14:26

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”