BCB England football team thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: BCB England football team thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Oct 2017, 09:03

PENK wrote:How many young English midfielders are getting regular Premier League action otherwise?

Not enough.

Maybe the way is the Jack Harrison way - recently called up to the U21 squad, playing in the MLS for New York.

They're much more likely to get regular playing time in the MLS - and the crowds are getting bigger every year. It seems to be a better grounding than I've previously given it credit for.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 08 Oct 2017, 13:01

At the same time, apart from the goalkeeper, every other outfield player is featuring for a Champions League club this season. I'm not saying that's an automatic arbiter of quality, but they are playing under decent coaches against mostly serious opponents. Perhaps it might be the case that England find their feet in six months time or so - in fairness Southgate has a settled XI now with Lallana to come back in at some point.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Oct 2017, 13:34

Yes but none of them are playing that all important creative role - they are mostly, as Cantona would say, water carriers. Certainly none of them look to have that certain talent to play that role either - the only two I've seen recently that even looked capable of doing that were Wilshere & Barkley. And look where they both are at present.

What is incredible is some of the criticism in the papers ahead of tonight's game, regarding the likely three at the back. What better time is there to try it - we've already qualified!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Nov 2017, 06:00

So we don't pick Wilshere because he's not shown he's match fit (despite starting for Arsenal recently) but we do include Danny Rose, who hasn't kicked a ball in competitive anger in ,what, 10 months or so?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Nov 2017, 19:01

Indeed. Decent though Rose was in his run in the team, we do have other options at full back.

There is only one creative midfielder who has won 6 MOTM Awards in the last 7 games he started for England. There is only 1 Jack Wilshere.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Nov 2017, 21:23

Loftus-cheek looks the business, MOTM. Chelsea could have saved themselves some money with him instead of buying Drinkwater.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 10 Nov 2017, 21:26

Players who can control the ball in tight spaces, have confidence in each other and want to go forward?

Is this England?

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 10 Nov 2017, 21:42

I've been watching for the last 10 mins. Not sure I've seen England touch the ball properly.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Nov 2017, 21:55

Maguire turning to run after a ball or player is like an ocean liner turning in the bath.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Nov 2017, 00:45

Maguire was pretty impressive over all.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Nov 2017, 08:34

I thought we actually played very well, all in all. At least there looked to be a joined up approach to the selection. I'm certain we're better with three centre backs - it allows our wing backs to bomb on and they're much better at that than defending. Loftus-Cheek looked very assured and showed real calm in his selection of passing, running, holding the space. He's just booked his World Cup ticket, for certain. Dyer looked good. I'm still totally bamboozled by what Livermore gives us besides an inferior version of what Dyer gives us but... if it gives us the base to allow the wing backs to get forward, I guess it's a necessary evil.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Nov 2017, 09:06

I know it will never happen but I’d love to see an England midfield featuring both Loftus Cheek and Wilshere.

Kane is a brilliant striker and having not one but two players capable of unlocking a defence with imagination would be mouth watering for him.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 11 Nov 2017, 15:01

Jordan Henderson is our first-choice midfielder and you know it. He is very good at running, and occasionaly shouting a bit or even pointing.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Nov 2017, 15:09

The fluency we showed at times last night is something for Southgate to ponder over.... there was much less pointless going sideways and backwards than in previous games... we used the ball much better and, on occasions, showed real inventiveness around and in the opposition box.... he has to consider why that is. It really doesn't matter if Henderson has been 'the first name on the sheet' on last nights performance, he shouldn't get back in.

If Ramsey could drop Greaves, Southgate can drop Henderson (and Alli, maybe).

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Nov 2017, 17:43

Lord Rother wrote:I know it will never happen but I’d love to see an England midfield featuring both Loftus Cheek and Wilshere.

Kane is a brilliant striker and having not one but two players capable of unlocking a defence with imagination would be mouth watering for him.

He's already got at least two of those at Spurs, both of them more inventive and talented than the Crock, so I don't suppose he would be salivating that much.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 11 Nov 2017, 18:56

Oh I see.

That would of course be entirely relevant if they were English.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Nov 2017, 19:03

Lord Rother wrote:Oh I see.

Well, one of them is, as it happens, but it was the idea you introduced that HK would look forward to playing for England if he had RLC and the Crock alongside him that I was referring to; maybe that was irrelevant too.
Personally, my only interest in England matches is that no Spurs player gets injured or has his form affected by playing with people inferior to his usual team-mates, or being coached by a numpty.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 12 Nov 2017, 09:30

It was only a friendly but RLC did very well.

The problem is that England players peak around November, so we get all excited about the possibilities and this then builds with anticipation towards the World Cup, when they all flop miserably.

It's like a disease - you feel the green shoots of possibilities at this time.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Nov 2017, 11:10

Rayge wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Oh I see.

Well, one of them is, as it happens, but it was the idea you introduced that HK would look forward to playing for England if he had RLC and the Crock alongside him that I was referring to; maybe that was irrelevant too.
Personally, my only interest in England matches is that no Spurs player gets injured or has his form affected by playing with people inferior to his usual team-mates, or being coached by a numpty.

An in form Wilshere won 6 MOTM Awards in his last 7 England starts; good though Dele is, I doubt he’ll achieve the levels the Crock did in those games.

Anyway, I’d love to see them both fit and playing for England together for years to come. A pair of glass ankles will probably prevent that from ever happening of course.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 12 Nov 2017, 11:21

Dele Alli is already a much better player than Wilshere has ever been in all honesty.