BCB England football team thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: BCB England football team thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Nov 2018, 15:58

A really good footballing display and a lot of guts to come from behind for a thoroughly deserved win. Excellent stuff.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 19 Nov 2018, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Nov 2018, 16:48

Yes, they looked the most imaginative and dangerous England side in recent memory; this victory and the win in Spain are big strides forward. Some wobbly moments at the back, still, but they’re into another semi-final.

This Nations League thing has turned out to be a lot of fun and the teams seem to genuinely care.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Nov 2018, 17:33

Most enjoyable England team to watch that I can ever remember. ‘66 and ‘70 are a bit dim in the memory.

What Southgate has done is remarkable really.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 18 Nov 2018, 18:37

And not a Jack Wilshire in sight!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Nov 2018, 18:58

Toby wrote:And not a Jack Wilshire in sight!

Nor at London Stadium (all season).
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Nov 2018, 07:10

Yeah, you’re right, just think how good this team could be with a fit Wilshere pulling the strings in midfield!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 19 Nov 2018, 11:15

Fair play to Southgate though. They are looking more and more like a confident team with each game. The defence in particular looks fairly robust and I can’t see either Gomez or Stones being ousted from those central defence positions for some time if they keep up that sort of form. Both under 24 too. There just seem to be a lot more options and flexibility in squad and that the systems are being adjusted to the players rather than the latter being made to play a certain way.

I still think we are some way off Belgium or France, but there is no doubt that significant progress has been made this year. The World Cup jaunt I suspect has galvanised the younger generation of players who now think “maybe there is a chance of a trophy”:

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Nov 2018, 11:56

Maguire must be in the picture as well.

I would probably favour him over Stones to be honest (just).

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Nov 2018, 12:07

I like the way three at the back has morphed to 4-3-3 seamlessly. I like that we've had Chilwell come through at left back and looks certain to retain that spot for a long time (he's certainly a better defender than Shaw and Rose just seems to find one reason or the other not to pick him). Stones and Gomez are (potentially) a fantastic pairing - both very good with the ball and (crucially) quicker than Maguire (Gomez is lightning fast). I like that he's settled on Kane/Rashford/Sterling up front. The only area that looks open is the middle three really - I think Delph done himself all sorts of favours yesterday. Barkley is the one player we have in that role who can go past people at pace (but still has mental aberrations that he needs to curtail).... I think it's either Dier or Henderson as a holding player (though I think Delph could do that, leaving space for a more creative choice).

But, overall, I really like that Southgate isn't resting on his laurels and is still looking to get new blood in and experiment. We could be on the verge of something very good.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 07 Jun 2019, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 19 Nov 2018, 14:17

What impressed me yesterday was that, with the need to chase the game after the Croatian goal, Southgate had genuine quality to turn to. He brought on Lingard, who has lately looked very assured in an England shirt, and the ridiculously precocious Sancho. Players like that show the strength in depth that England now have, as there isn't much difference in quality between the starting eleven and their reserve options. And it worked, so as the Croatian players tired, England converted two set pieces to claim a deserved victory.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Nov 2018, 14:26

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 22 Mar 2019, 11:28

It'll be interesting to see if Declan Rice gets a debut this weekend and thus commits his future to England (and given the Irish team's history with "oh me grandma wore a green hat once" call-ups they can hardly complain about one of theirs [born in London] switching sides!). He could be the best defensive midfielder England have had in a long time if he continues his development at the current pace.

A ballplaying midfielder is still needed, of course... perhaps Foden can play that role if he makes a proper breakthrough next season.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Mar 2019, 20:48

Sancho's the most exciting England player for decades.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Mar 2019, 21:38

No, Callum Hudson-Odoi is!

Great hat trick for Sterling.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Mar 2019, 21:51

Sterling's the most exciting England player for decades. Then you can take your pick from the others.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 23 Mar 2019, 11:36

Strange to think that England are quite a good football team now.

This is hardly a vintage Czech team but for most of this century England would have huffed and puffed and scrambled a 2-1 victory. Last night they were incisive, inventive, and blew their opponents away. Sure they got lucky with a couple of the goals but that luck came from the Czechs tiring physically and mentally having spent so long chasing shadows.

An attacking line-up with options like Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Dele, Rashford, Hudson-Odoi and Foden could make them a force to be reckoned with over the next 5-10 years. The defence looks fine too, plenty of options even if none of them look absolutely world class; the number of good players competing for spots there could spur some of them to make that step up to the top level.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Mar 2019, 12:11

The Modernist wrote:Sancho's the most exciting England player for decades.

Indeed. He could actually be on the path to greatness in a way no-one British has been since Gascoigne.

Let’s hope he isn’t a complete and utter dickhead as well and can complete the journey.

It seems daft to say it but with the ridiculous amount of emerging / developing young talent at our disposal, we really should be favourites for the next 2 tournaments.

Sterling, Kane, Rashford, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi..... wow! No other country in the world except possibly France has the same depth of attacking talent.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Mar 2019, 13:40

I'm hesitant to get excited about young players because we know what has happened before, but they seem to be grounded and mentally well adjusted. Kane is the key piece I feel both off and on the pitch - he ghosts between 9 and 10 in a way that very few forwards can match, and he also seems like a captain in the mould of Southgate himself, thoughtful and inspiring rather than shouting and being one of the lads, which I suspect Rooney was.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Mar 2019, 21:50

Lord Rother wrote:Indeed. He could actually be on the path to greatness in a way no-one British has been since Gascoigne.

Steady on, he's 18 and coming towards the end of his first full season as a regular starter for his club team. He's no Jack Wilshere yet.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Mar 2019, 07:16

Boom! :lol:

Return to “Sporting Life”