The Spurs Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: the Spurs thread

Postby Penk! » 21 Jan 2017, 18:07

They're a total rabble today. City should be five up already. Are nosebleeds catching in north London?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 21 Jan 2017, 19:08

K wrote:Bravo is a bloody liability. Dreadful keeper. Two clangers.

Don't be silly. Lloris has dropped those clangers today but has been consistently excellent for Spurs over several years at this level, while Bravo has been consistently flaky for City all season.

That said, that was a scandalous decision not to give Sterling a penalty - and look what happened. City have been screwed over there.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Jan 2017, 18:27

From a letter to The Fiver

“Is the new Spurs Cheese emporium a standalone venture? Or does it sit alongside other fine purveyors of meats and comestibles as part of some kind of Deli Alley?” – Chris Walker.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 15 Apr 2017, 14:37

I must say, I'm rather enjoying this season.
What a wonderful manager Pochettino is.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Apr 2017, 14:57

That was so one sided today, I actually felt sorry for Bournemouth.

Obvious thing to say but Chelsea are going to need to win the title this year - I don't think Spurs are rolling over this season.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 15 Apr 2017, 16:16

Spurs are the most entertaining team this season, especially at home.
When is St. Tottheringham day this year?
I run out of talent

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Apr 2017, 16:39

The Slider is playing it very close to his chest this season.....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Modesty Forbids

Postby Modesty Forbids » 21 May 2017, 17:09

Meanest defence, most prolific attack, Kane Golden Boot winner for second successive season despite missing 8 games through injury, club's best-ever points total, unbeaten at WHL, all kinds of other records, I'll settle for that, but what makes the main difference from last season was that in the last three matches both times we played away to the former champions and away to a relegated side, and while last year there was a fractious 2-2 draw with Chelsea and the 5-1 collapse at Newcastle, this time they twice in succession got record away wins, 6-1 and 7-1.
Hoorah.
once an adman, always a cunt

all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Oct 2017, 13:47

:-)

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Nov 2017, 21:40

Ha!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Nov 2017, 12:51

No bother to spurs. The only person who can fuck them up now is Levy if he doesn't loosen the purse strings to keep his manager and players. With Levy there's always that chance.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Nov 2017, 13:41

The Great Defector wrote:No bother to spurs. The only person who can fuck them up now is Levy if he doesn't loosen the purse strings to keep his manager and players. With Levy there's always that chance.

Levy is a brilliant chairman. No one important is going anywhere. People go on about weekly wages being low, but they are highly incentivised. They've got a great coaching set-up, first class academy and are about to move into a state of the art stadium with a huge capacity that they could probably fill with season ticket holders. That's where the money has gone, rather than squander it on numpties. Young players want to come because they know that Poch will help them get better and they will get in the team and then if they perform get fast-tracked into the national side, rather than have £50m spunked on Carlos Kickaball who will block their way into the team because of the amount spent on him means he must play.
There is also tremendous team spirit: people who don't buy into it, like Walker, get sold for a fortune and replaced with two better players. And there is a growing sense that Spurs isn't so much a stepping stone to greater things, as a great team on its own, and one that over a decade ago rejected short-termism in favour of a long game that is now bearing fruit. Pochettino has an opportunity to build a dynasty here, to shape not only a team, but a whole club. Why would he go to PSG, or Bayern, or whatever, and get sacked after two or three years? But still there's this pervasive cynicism – talking generally now, not about you, Marcus – that the only thing that matters in football is money. Or indeed trophies.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Nov 2017, 18:46

Hope you're right about Levy Ray.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 02 Nov 2017, 19:29

Rayge wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:No bother to spurs. The only person who can fuck them up now is Levy if he doesn't loosen the purse strings to keep his manager and players. With Levy there's always that chance.

Levy is a brilliant chairman. No one important is going anywhere. People go on about weekly wages being low, but they are highly incentivised. They've got a great coaching set-up, first class academy and are about to move into a state of the art stadium with a huge capacity that they could probably fill with season ticket holders. That's where the money has gone, rather than squander it on numpties. Young players want to come because they know that Poch will help them get better and they will get in the team and then if they perform get fast-tracked into the national side, rather than have £50m spunked on Carlos Kickaball who will block their way into the team because of the amount spent on him means he must play.
There is also tremendous team spirit: people who don't buy into it, like Walker, get sold for a fortune and replaced with two better players. And there is a growing sense that Spurs isn't so much a stepping stone to greater things, as a great team on its own, and one that over a decade ago rejected short-termism in favour of a long game that is now bearing fruit. Pochettino has an opportunity to build a dynasty here, to shape not only a team, but a whole club. Why would he go to PSG, or Bayern, or whatever, and get sacked after two or three years? But still there's this pervasive cynicism – talking generally now, not about you, Marcus – that the only thing that matters in football is money. Or indeed trophies.

Are we talking about Spurs or Arsenal here? They will blow it this season , they always do.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Nov 2017, 20:19

jimboo wrote:Are we talking about Spurs or Arsenal here? They will blow it this season , they always do.

I'm talking about Spurs, who haven't 'blown' anything in years.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Nov 2017, 21:57

The Great Defector wrote:Hope you're right about Levy Ray.

I hope he's wrong. :twisted:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Nov 2017, 22:05

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Hope you're right about Levy Ray.

I hope he's wrong. :twisted:

You know you'd rather have him in charge than Kroenke

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Nov 2017, 22:05

I'd rather have you in charge than Kroenke!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Nov 2017, 22:09

Levy is undoubtedly a shrewd operator, but I don't know how much credit he deserves for your current success, some perhaps, but i wouldn't get too carried away. After all these same qualities weren't able to bring success for a good 14 years or so.
What is becoming quite abundantly clear is you have one of the best managers in the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Nov 2017, 22:22

The Modernist wrote:Levy is undoubtedly a shrewd operator, but I don't know how much credit he deserves for your current success, some perhaps, but i wouldn't get too carried away. After all these same qualities weren't able to bring success for a good 14 years or so.

Well, it's his (well, ENIC's) long term plan, the decision to go for the new stadium, to invest in the academy, and in the transfer market to concentrate on bringing in young players rather than established stars. the one thing they didn't really have was the right management and coaching structure to potentiate it. And now they have

The Modernist wrote:What is becoming quite abundantly clear is you have one of the best managers in the world.

Yep. And what he has been given is the chance to create a dynasty and take the club forward, something he just wouldn't get anywhere else, so I think he'll stay for a while, unless the wheels fall off.

Return to “Sporting Life”