Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Sports betting (not just golf...)

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Jul 2015, 23:11

Just Jason Day for me.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jul 2015, 08:38

Day is going to win a Major some day surely....he's so consistent in them. Either that or he's going to be a Monty/Westwood etc.....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jul 2015, 20:07

Diamond Dog wrote:Well Oosthuizen at 5 under had a good first day...and Kaymer at 1 under isn't out of it....

I also had an each way on Lowry (who shot 1 over despite a four over par 8 on the 17th) and... a little £1 each way on Retief Goosen...at 250/1....

We live in hope :)

Oosthuizen joint leader and Goosen one of nine players tied for sixth, three shots back.....

This is exactly the position many of us have been saying Garcia could win his first major from.....three of the lead on a course he has shown he can play well on....post a 66 and get to 15 under......it's a possibility, isn't it?
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 19 Jul 2015, 20:16

Diamond Dog wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:This is exactly the position many of us have been saying Garcia could win his first major from.....three of the lead on a course he has shown he can play well on....post a 66 and get to 15 under......it's a possibility, isn't it?

That's Garcia's best performance on the Sunday afternoon of a Major that I can remember. :P

Dustin Johnson couldn't get out of there quick enough - he was playing solidly without any putts dropping in the first few holes, but seemed to lose interest.

Fascinating final day tomorrow - Paul Dunne will have his pick of sponsors when he turns pro - outstanding performace today.
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jul 2015, 20:56

Three Majors....three second places............:(

If Louis had done anything with his putter the last two days, he'd have won easily.

Still, the each way ensured I didn't lose, I suppose.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 21 Jul 2015, 10:44

Diamond Dog wrote:Three Majors....three second places............:(

If Louis had done anything with his putter the last two days, he'd have won easily.

Still, the each way ensured I didn't lose, I suppose.

Profit's profit!
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jul 2015, 11:50

It is but he really let it slip - not taking anything away from Johnson (a player I really admire, because physically he has such a disadvantage over so many of the players) but Louis really only had to hole a half reasonable amount and he would have won by two or three. He will definitely consider it a Major lost.

Onwards and upwards to the PGA in August though...
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jul 2015, 07:25

Already backed Kaymer (30/1) and Oosthuizen (40/1) for the US PGA at Whistling Straits.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Aug 2015, 21:43

Took a crap price on Kaymer- he's now 45/1 :(

Also backed Robert Streb at 80/1 today.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 11 Aug 2015, 08:48

Diamond Dog wrote:Also backed Robert Streb at 80/1 today.

He must've taken some heavy bets in the last 24 hours - I got 100/1 for him on Sunday night. On the flip side, I only got 33/1 for Oosthuizen.

Koepka @ 50/1 and Rose @ 20/1 look rather tasty.
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Aug 2015, 08:16

Well you had a very decent weekend.....

Kaymer hovered but didn't do enough and Streb's 73 on the second day undid him - he'll go very close next year if he maintains his performances over the past three months or so.

Day was magnificent - thoroughly deserved, both for this tournament and the others when he's been so close. A nice bloke too, which helps.

Speith has been titanic throughout the season - at 22, he can only get better and his new World Number One position may not be an aberration.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 17 Aug 2015, 08:33

Diamond Dog wrote:Well you had a very decent weekend.....

8-) Yep, decent wee profit there. Thought Koepka had blown his e/w payout spot with a bogey at 17 immediately after his eagle, but well deserved - shame he had such a poor start on Thursday (+4 to turn), otherwise he might've been able to challenge. Streb's a name to look out for - be interesting to see if he kicks on after his breakthrough this season - expect his odds to tumble, though!

Day deserved it - he clearly feels pretty comfortable in the cauldron of Major championships, and always seems to be in the mix over the weekend. It has the makings of a good era for championship golf with McIlroy, Day, Speith plus Rose, the South Africans and a few others all capable of competing, and a few waiting in the wings to burst through.
Just a penitent man

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 17 Aug 2015, 08:44

In other betting news, I was at East End Park to watch Dunfermline host local rivals Cowdenbeath on Saturday. We had won our first 3 games of the season 4-1, 5-1 and 6-1, so hopes were high of a comfortable home victory, and the style being turned on.

It turns out a few punters in the crowd had piled into a 7-1 win to keep the pattern going, @ 250-1. Never have I heard such a cheer in the home end for the visiting team to score a last-minute consolation. Wish I'd had the foresight...
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Aug 2015, 08:59

funky_nomad wrote: It has the makings of a good era for championship golf with McIlroy, Day, Speith plus Rose, the South Africans and a few others all capable of competing, and a few waiting in the wings to burst through.

There has definitely been a feeling of sea change this year - the new hungry platoon have finally nudged the Woods, Mickelson etc group out of the way. I'm sure their Major winning days are over - barring a miracle four day freak period- because the newer guys are just so consistent. It's been a great season to watch and, in Spieth, we have seen one of the greatest ever years in Majors.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 17 Aug 2015, 11:00

Diamond Dog wrote:There has definitely been a feeling of sea change this year - the new hungry platoon have finally nudged the Woods, Mickelson etc group out of the way. I'm sure their Major winning days are over - barring a miracle four day freak period- because the newer guys are just so consistent. It's been a great season to watch and, in Spieth, we have seen one of the greatest ever years in Majors.

Correct. I do feel a wee bit sorry for the likes of Stricker and Westwood who's time has come and gone without them winning a Major - just can't see either of them getting over that hurdle now, and you can in all reality chuck Garcia, Poulter and Donald on that list, too.
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Aug 2015, 12:40

Yep. I never really thought Poulter deserved to be mentioned in the same class as the others but, you're right, that's exactly the kind of player I'm referring to. If they haven't managed it by now i see no good reason as to why they should from now onwards.
Cocaine

funky_nomad
paranoid

Postby funky_nomad » 20 Aug 2015, 11:15

Quite like the look of Justin Thomas @ 25/1 this week. Also on Horschel @ 28/1 and Coetzee @ 66/1.

Picked up a nice wee earner backing Dunfermline to win 3-0 on Tuesday night at 20/1, so speculating to accumulate this week. The bookies love that kind of attitude...
Just a penitent man

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Apr 2016, 18:18

So onto The Masters at Augusta tomorrow.... here's the five for you to avoid if you fancy a little tickle..... Adam Scott, Phil Mickelson, Louis Oosthuizen, Matt Kuchar & Paul Casey...... you have been warned.....
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Apr 2016, 19:36

Lord Rother wrote:Just Jason Day for me.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Apr 2016, 10:51

Lord Rother wrote:Grand National - Many Clouds at 40/1 is outstanding value.

Class horse of the race who, as a fairly lightly raced 8yo, should still be improving... there's always a chance he'll hate the course but he was 2nd fav for the Gold Cup last month and didn't run a bad race.

Remember last year...?

I think Many Clouds will run very well again this year but 8/1 under 11st 12lb doesn't appeal so this year I'm going for KRUZHLININ.

Return to “Sporting Life”