Head Injuries In Sports

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Dr Markus

Head Injuries In Sports

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Mar 2013, 22:28

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/science-brain-injury-inspire-ban-023210010--nfl.html

Should science on brain injury inspire a ban on boxing?

I don't want to limit this just to boxing as i think this is just a far bigger problem than just combat sports. For example how and why fighting hasn't been banned in Ice hockey is generally beyond me. It serves not functioning purpose. There are other sports that are just has physical as ice hockey that doesn't need fighting or guys on the team just to fight.

As for combat sports, i'm afraid they're just a part of the sport. The best we can do is reduce the damage. Personally i think in fighting sports there should be a database with all the licensed fighters. The database should hold their medical history and say the amount of times they've been knocked out/TKO etc. While everyone's body is different in terms of how much abuse they can take, there should be say a set limit of knockout etc. I don't know if it would clean up combat sports but i think it would be a start.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Re: Head Injuries In Sports

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Feb 2017, 12:49

Not a big surprise if properly proven.

Football headers 'linked to brain damage'

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38971750
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Feb 2017, 17:09

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Feb 2017, 17:11

sloopjohnc wrote:

Have you ever been tested?

:lol: Well I started playing basketball when I was 12 or 13 and did get some bad elbows to the head so maybe I should. What's your excuse?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Feb 2017, 17:22

The Great Defector wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Have you ever been tested?

:lol: Well I started playing basketball when I was 12 or 13 and did get some bad elbows to the head so maybe I should. What's your excuse?

It's hereditary.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Sporting Life”