NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
sloopjohnc

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Apr 2017, 14:38

Diamond Dog wrote:I see Adrian Peterson has signed with the Saints & Marshawn Lynch has come out of his (one season) retirement to team up with the Raiders.....

Lynch for two years. Something for Oakland fans to hang their hats on.

I like the Niners first round picks. They had a historically bad defense last season. After drafting defensive linemen the past two seasons, they did so again. Their Reuben Foster pick could be the sleeper of the draft - plenty of time to stock up on DBs in later rounds.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Apr 2017, 17:41

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I see Adrian Peterson has signed with the Saints & Marshawn Lynch has come out of his (one season) retirement to team up with the Raiders.....

I like the Niners first round picks. They had a historically bad defense last season. After drafting defensive linemen the past two seasons, they did so again. Their Reuben Foster pick could be the sleeper of the draft - plenty of time to stock up on DBs in later rounds.

Didn't Foster drop because of concerns around a shoulder injury?

He's certainly a better player than where he was drafted.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Apr 2017, 17:59

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Didn't Foster drop because of concerns around a shoulder injury?

He's certainly a better player than where he was drafted.

Yeah, rotator cuff.

One of the cool things about the draft are the heartwarming stories. Takk McKinley from UCLA is from Richmond/Oakland. His dad was never in the picture and his mom left him with his grandmother when he was five. On her deathbed, he told his grandmother he was going to be a D1 football player and get out of Richmond and Oakland. She died a minute later. He carried her photo to the podium.

I don't think anyone can believe how rough West Oakland or Richmond is. The odds are stacked unbelievably high against you if you're a young, black male.

Deshaun Watson's family were the beneficiaries of Warrik Dunn's foundation that built houses for worthy families. Watson's family got one, his mom got tongue cancer and he had to work four jobs to support his family. It's nice to see these young men fulfill their dreams, at least for one night.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Jun 2017, 22:02

Tak McKinley got his first NFL paycheck.

They didn’t fine him for his swearing.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/27/1 ... -nfl-draft

After his first paycheck

http://deadspin.com/takkarist-mckinley- ... 1795730891

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 02 Jun 2017, 06:23

sloopjohnc wrote:Tak McKinley got his first NFL paycheck.

After his first paycheck

Must be a great feeling. He's earned it. I'll be rooting for the guy.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Jun 2017, 22:12

Jumper K wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Tak McKinley got his first NFL paycheck.

After his first paycheck

Must be a great feeling. He's earned it. I'll be rooting for the guy.

I know, huh.

The areas he comes from are very poverty-ridden and violent. Lots of teenage prostitution and death. Oakland already has over 15 shooting deaths this year, Richmond five.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Jun 2017, 21:07

Derek Carr said that even though he now has the biggest contract in NFL history if he's at the 1 yard line in the Super Bowl, he's handing it to Lynch.

Ha!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jun 2017, 21:11

sloopjohnc wrote:Derek Carr said that even though he now has the biggest contract in NFL history if he's at the 1 yard line in the Super Bowl, he's handing it to Lynch.

Ha!

:D
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Jun 2017, 17:02

Notice anything wrong with this Redskin license plate? There are a few left, apparently.

It's the state of Washington, not the dictrict.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jun 2017, 17:40

:)
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jul 2017, 15:49

This study shows 99% of former NFL players with CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy). Whilst there is a potentially huge bias in play here, that figure should send shivers down the back of the NFL as an organisation, all college programmes and even high school programmes. Oh, and players and parents of players too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40718990

I posted in Now Reading earlier this week :

Diamond Dog wrote:A fairly devastating takedown of the NFL - from a guy who clearly loves/loved the sport. And read by a guy (me) that still loves it. Almond's case for the NFL being shutdown (primarily because of the concussion 'scandal' brewing in the game, but also around the tax free status, the alleged racism and sexism... amongst others) is very persuasively presented.

I think Sloop recommended the book. It's a terrifying read really and worthwhile even if you're not an NFL fan.
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Jul 2017, 16:03

When they talk about racism and sexism within the game, just how bad (allegedly) is it?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jul 2017, 16:18

Goat Boy wrote:When they talk about racism and sexism within the game, just how bad (allegedly) is it?

He is basically saying that the majority of college/NFL players are black. Disproportionately huge numbers. He is questioning whether there would be the same enthusiasm for the sport if it was white guys getting their brains smashed - and being cheered by on by a (predominantly) black audience... it's an interesting reversal of where it now sits.

The argument for sexism is fairly obvious - cheerleaders, in this day and age, seem almost beyond belief really. That's one of the obvious examples.

I'm sure Sloop and other American posters could enlighten more.
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Jul 2017, 16:24

Right, I was wondering if he meant purely within the game or amongst the fans too.

The cheerleading thing is obvious but I was wondering if he was speculating on the attitudes of the players themselves. I know there have been scandals involving everything from wife beating to dog fighting etc and I was wondering if there was a culture of tolerance from the clubs towards such behaviour from their players
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jul 2017, 16:53

Goat Boy wrote:Right, I was wondering if he meant purely within the game or amongst the fans too.

The cheerleading thing is obvious but I was wondering if he was speculating on the attitudes of the players themselves. I know there have been scandals involving everything from wife beating to dog fighting etc and I was wondering if there was a culture of tolerance from the clubs towards such behaviour from their players

He mentions the domestic abuse quite clearly and certainly gives the clear impression that the NFL does not take it seriously - he quotes the Jameis Winston example where his involvement in a rape at college (and we have to be careful but the evidence was pretty damning) was first of all brushed under the carpet by law enforcement (because he was going to be an NFL star) and then gets taken first pick in the draft the year afterwards. Amongst others.

It's a great book - really well written with quite some humour in parts. Which is admirable considering the subject matter.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jul 2017, 00:25

The CTE study was in JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association and one of the top three journals in the world, next to the New England Journal of Medicine and The Lancet, a British medical journal.

This was discussed on ESPN today. They simply have to play contact football at an older age. I'd have kids play flag football until jr. high age, and then Pop Warner (American football little league), high school and college.

Remember, 98% of boys stop playing after high school. I'd want to protect the young brains as long as he could, but not kill the sport. Both my brother and I played Pop Warner and I still have friends from when I played with them.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jul 2017, 00:36

Diamond Dog wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:When they talk about racism and sexism within the game, just how bad (allegedly) is it?

He is basically saying that the majority of college/NFL players are black. Disproportionately huge numbers. He is questioning whether there would be the same enthusiasm for the sport if it was white guys getting their brains smashed - and being cheered by on by a (predominantly) black audience... it's an interesting reversal of where it now sits.

The argument for sexism is fairly obvious - cheerleaders, in this day and age, seem almost beyond belief really. That's one of the obvious examples.

I'm sure Sloop and other American posters could enlighten more.

When you look at the pros, you're only looking at the tip of the iceberg re: football.

Basketball is the blackest sport, football the next at around 60%/40% would be my bet, and baseball the most white.

But you have to look at American demographics and its popularity when you analyze it. Pete, you're only a pro football fan, but you should talk to your friend Chris about college football, because he lives in the hotbed of college football, Florida and the South. American football is still popular all over, but football in the south is dominated by the Big 12, the SEC, the ACC, and other smaller leagues. Football is religion from Texas to Florida, south of the Mason-Dixon line.

One of my buddies from California, now lives in Louisiana, and his son is a senior in high school. He posts videos on Facebook and the stands are filled like a college game.

The South also has large poor, black populations, and sports is a lucrative way out.

That said, University of Alabama's top recruit is a guy named Najee Harris from my neck o' the woods, but his life story follows a traditional path of homelessness and no money.

Re: the domestic violence. Football players are told to be ultra-aggressive and I think that attitude leaks off the field. Throw in steroids and PEDs and it's a recipe for disaster.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jul 2017, 00:37

Goat Boy wrote:Right, I was wondering if he meant purely within the game or amongst the fans too.

Yes, top athletes are pampered from jr. high or high school on in the US.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Jul 2017, 08:52

sloopjohnc wrote:Re: the domestic violence. Football players are told to be ultra-aggressive and I think that attitude leaks off the field. Throw in steroids and PEDs and it's a recipe for disaster.

That's exactly what the book says. You reap what you sow and all that.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jul 2017, 21:48

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Re: the domestic violence. Football players are told to be ultra-aggressive and I think that attitude leaks off the field. Throw in steroids and PEDs and it's a recipe for disaster.

That's exactly what the book says. You reap what you sow and all that.

You mean I could be making money off my bullshit?

Where do I sign up?

Return to “Sporting Life”