NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
sloopjohnc

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Dec 2017, 17:22

Diamond Dog wrote:Wow. I love that about the NFL - those locker room interviews you can see the players are still raw and there's much less 'diplomacy' than the garbage we get in our football these days.

American football players have a unique mindset compared to basketball and baseball players. I'd say hockey players are the closest with their acceptance and desire for violence, but football players seem to have more of an edge.

Football was my best and favorite sport growing up. My brother and I played youth football, Pop Warner, and I played center, tight end on offense and defensive end and middle linebacker on defense. I liked offense, but loved defense because I loved to hit, and I have to admit, loved inflicting pain. I had a bit of a mean streak. And coaches encouraged me if I hit some guy and he staggered back to the huddle. My brother, who's more much even tempered, never left the offensive line.

When I got to high school, it was really hard deciding to go out for football or water polo. Football was much more popular, but tons of guys went out for it. They had noon time rallies for the Friday night football games. We were lucky if we had five people besides family in the stands for our games.

I was a competitive swimmer and liked the team sport aspect of water polo, plus you got to throw the ball hard as shit at a goal. I chose water polo, which was probably a good choice because I did pretty well at it, but always wondered if I'd have been as good at football.

I've mentioned this before, but I have played pick up basketball with Ronnie Lott, one of the 50 best football players of all time. The man cut off part of a finger to continue playing rather than get surgery. It must have taken him half an hour to warm up and get the kinks out before playing. I just stretched a little. The toll the sport takes on your body is amazing.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2017, 09:39

I woke up to catch the second half of the Steelers/Ravens slugfest... what a crazy game... incredible twists and turns.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Dec 2017, 09:40

Oh and the Seahawks are fucking twats and Michael Bennett is a complete cunt.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2017, 16:27

Diamond Dog wrote:I woke up to catch the second half of the Steelers/Ravens slugfest... what a crazy game... incredible twists and turns.

Too bad about Wentz. That was gunslingin' between the Rams and Eagles. And Blount and Gurley were also good. They fear an ACL tear with Wentz, which is too bad. He had already broke the Eagles TD pass record with 33. Fowles is capable though.

Some Philly fans were calling for the Eagles to sign Kaepernick. I've watched Kaepernick for 4-5 years now. Great athlete, but he only throws one type of ball - a fastball and can do little beyond the first read not being open. Would Pederson utilize him well? Maybe, but I wouldn't take that chance at this stage. It would be a circus and the Eagles don't need that.

I think Pittsburgh and NE are the only teams that can give a good NFC team a battle this year.

And Bennett is a jerk.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Dec 2017, 15:35

Diamond Dog wrote:Oh and the Seahawks are fucking twats and Michael Bennett is a complete cunt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... iscipline/

NFL must explain why Michael Bennett faced no discipline
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 16, 2017, 6:56 AM EST

When the NFL fines or suspends a player, it issues a statement about what the player did to draw the fine or suspension. This week, the NFL needs to issue a statement to explain what a player did to avoid a fine or suspension.

The player in question is Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett, who was flagged for taking a shot at Jaguars center Brandon Linder‘s knee late in Seattle’s loss at Jacksonville on Sunday. It was Bennett who started an ugly chain of events that saw players on both teams flagged for personal fouls, two Seahawks ejected, and the potential for a crowd-control nightmare when Jaguars fans threw objects at Seattle’s Quinton Jefferson and Jefferson tried to go into the stands to confront them.

So why did Bennett, who started it all, get off scot-free?

NFL Media reported that the league bought Bennett’s explanation, as relayed by Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, that Bennett was just trying to swipe the ball as Linder snapped it to Blake Bortles for the kneeldown at the end of the game.

That explanation is preposterous, and if the NFL actually accepted that explanation, then the NFL needs to say so — if for no other reason than so that the rest of us can understand, once and for all, that the people at the league office simply don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to finding any fair, reasonable and consistent standard for player discipline.

Bennett may have been initially attempting to swipe the ball the instant Linder snapped it to Bortles. But that doesn’t explain why Bennett then continued rolling into Linder’s knee, long after Bortles had taken the snap and kneeled down, as Linder attempted to get away from Bennett to protect himself from injury.

Two officials were standing on either side of Bennett as he rolled into Linder, and both of them threw their flags. If the NFL thinks Bennett was just trying to swipe the ball, then the NFL needs to explain what those two officials were looking at when they threw their flags.

The NFL also apparently thinks commentator Daryl Johnston was hallucinating when he described what Bennett did while FOX showed a replay. Johnston, a former NFL fullback who knows the difference between dirty play and clean play, was outraged as he described what Bennett was doing.

https://twitter.com/617Report/status/94 ... s-seahawks

“Michael Bennett rolling into Brandon Linder — that’s what started everything, right there,” Johnston said. “And then he comes back and hits him again. So this tape is gonna be reviewed by the NFL. They didn’t get Michael Bennett out of the game. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s something from the league that comes down on Michael Bennett because that’s disrespect to an opponent on the field. There’s no place in this game for that.”

You know who else thinks it’s dirty to go after an opponent’s knee? Michael Bennett. Last year, after Bennett took a shot to the knee in a game against the Falcons, he was furious about it.

“Honestly, I think if you dive at someone else’s legs, you’re a little [expletive],” Bennett said. “If you are big in the NFL, you just line up and play — why you got to cut someone on the [expletive] play? I mean, I don’t know. That [expletive] is just stupid to me. Why cut somebody when you can just line up and win? I don’t know. I don’t come off the ball jumping at offensive linemen’s legs.’’

But now we know that Bennett does come off the ball jumping at offensive linemen’s legs. And the NFL lets him get away with it. The league needs to explain why.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Dec 2017, 16:05

Didn't see coming the Chiefs kicking the Chargers butts so bad. It is Arrowhead, but it kinda stopped the Chargers streak in its tracks.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Dec 2017, 16:29

In truth though, it's a poor decision John. None of those will worry Steelers or Patriots.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Dec 2017, 16:38

Diamond Dog wrote:In truth though, it's a poor decision John. None of those will worry Steelers or Patriots.

No doubt. Watching the ESPN pre-game right now for their game now. They're analyzing the game and eating pirogis at the same time. The game is obviously in Pittsburgh.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Dec 2017, 09:18

So on Friday the NFL take over the internal investigation into misconduct by Panthers owner Jerry Richardson ... and on Sunday he announces the franchise will be up for sale at the end of the season. Coincidence?
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 18 Dec 2017, 09:30

sloopjohnc wrote:Didn't see coming the Chiefs kicking the Chargers butts so bad. It is Arrowhead, but it kinda stopped the Chargers streak in its tracks.

Yeah, crazy. Couldn't believe how the Rams took the Seahawks to the cleaners either.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Dec 2017, 10:07

I'm still at a loss to understand how James' catch for Pittsburgh wasn't, but Crabtree's for the Raiders was (in the two late games). They look identical to me but maybe I'm just expecting the same rules to be used in all games.

Not Crabtree - Byrd for the Panthers!
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 19 Dec 2017, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Dec 2017, 17:38

Diamond Dog wrote:
never/ever wrote:
Yeah, crazy. Couldn't believe how the Rams took the Seahawks to the cleaners either.

I forecast a Rams victory after I saw Kam Chancellor being placed on IR for the season - they've lost virtually all of the legion... and they aren't equipped to outscore other teams. But I didn't expect that much of a shellacking, it's fair to say.

I'm still at a loss to understand how James' catch for Pittsburgh wasn't, but Crabtree's for the Raiders was (in the two late games). They look identical to me but maybe I'm just expecting the same rules to be used in all games.

My co-worker bets on winners/losers and I asked her what her picks were on Friday. She picked the Chiefs, but also picked the Seahawks and Green Bay.

I told her I thought the Rams were for real and Seattle's defense wasn't what it was. I also said I thought Green Bay winning was a lot to ask of Rodgers' first game back.

And yeah, I don't get the Steelers non-catch. Looks like Patriots fans can't bitch about the league being against them.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 18 Dec 2017, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 18 Dec 2017, 19:23

sloopjohnc wrote:
And yeah, I don't get the Steelers non-catch. Looks like Patriots fans can't bitch about the league being against them.

Especially after New England won the game against the Texans in exactly the same scenario- the game-winning touchdown of Cooks showed the same type of movement after he hit the ground but the review went the way of the Pats that time.
Not to mention the crazy call against Jets' Seferian-Jenkins who thought he had a touchdown but where the review determined he had fumbled the football over the goal line, was ruled a touchback and led to Pats possession.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Dec 2017, 19:38

Cam Newton can be a prize arsehole but, on the field, he can very fucking funny.

Did you see the comment to the Packers at the line of scrimmage last night? "You been watching film, huh? Well watch this" and rips off a beautiful TD pass three seconds later. Classic.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 18 Dec 2017, 19:47

Yes!
Clay Matthews got owned on that one.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Dec 2017, 21:23

Diamond Dog wrote:Cam Newton can be a prize arsehole but, on the field, he can very fucking funny.

Did you see the comment to the Packers at the line of scrimmage last night? "You been watching film, huh? Well watch this" and rips off a beautiful TD pass three seconds later. Classic.

Yeah, that was nice.

McCaffrey is just what Carolina needed. A gooder Ray Rice.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Dec 2017, 13:05

Good to see Thomas Davis got a ban, even if it was reduced to a single match.

A couple of observations from another look at the Steelers/Patriots game - Bellichick, amongst other things, is a ballsy coach. I'm sure very few others would have gone for that fourth and one (which eventually resulted in a TD) and instead taken the three points to stay four behind... that made a huge amount of difference.

Also - here's another one. If you're seven points up after a TD in the fourth quarter, everything in my body would be saying still go for two. If you go for one, you're still only one TD in front (albeit one with a converted two points) but if you go for two and miss it... you're still a TD (and extra point) in front...but if you get the two points... it's a two score game. The upside is so much larger than the downside, it just has to be worth it, doesn't it?
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Dec 2017, 00:50

Seahawks
Total penalty yards 142
Total offensive yards 136.

You really must be crap if you lose against those stats.
No Chancellor, no Sherman? No problem.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Dec 2017, 07:18

Good to see the "Elliott" excuse taken out of the equation too for the Cowboys.... I think Jason Garrett may be on his last legs.

Jimmy G at San Fran is setting the place alight, isn't he?
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Dec 2017, 08:01

Jerry Jones came out quickly defending Garrett after the game. He has some questions to answer though- why no rushing play after the Cowboys were camped out at the Seahawks' 2-yard line at the start of the 4th quarter? Why was Bryant so under-used? Prescott had a poor game but he took some vicious shots too. That O-line has gone to buggery, even with Zeke in it. No excuses indeed.

Return to “Sporting Life”