NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Sep 2018, 05:23

So the first weekend is nearly over - we hd the 49ers/Vikes game up here first in the UK. San Francisco looked like a decent side (again) but they struggled in the red zone - if they can correct that, and it's a big if, then they can setlle and possibly push for the play offs. Minnesota have an awesome D - that alone makes them contenders. Factor in Cousins at QB... they're certainly not going to be afraid of many.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Sep 2018, 17:01

As a Redskins fan, Pete, you must've been happy.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Sep 2018, 19:00

sloopjohnc wrote:As a Redskins fan, Pete, you must've been happy.

:D
I've spent the past three years explaining to idiots on Redskins boards that the issue isn't Cousins...

It will be interesting to see how Smith gets on tonight - I like him but you really do have to wonder if he actually has that ability to step up and do the brave/unconventional thing that wins the game and separates the great from the good. Having a hopeless coach certainly isn't going to help him.

I've just watched the Packers come back from 20 back to beat Chiacgo - how the hell does that happen? Ah, that would be Aaron Rogers of course. Great first game from Khalil Mack - I hope Gruden uses those picks verry wisely because I'd imagine the Raiders fans are going to need some comvincing....
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Sep 2018, 16:17

Rams looked really good last night in every phase of the game. Gurley ran wild the second half.

The Raiders looked promising the first drive with Lynch in prime Beast Mode, dragging three Rams into the end zone along with a DB holding his ankle and being dragged four yards.

Competitive first half, but then talent took over. Carr looked very ordinary - throwing two terrible INTs, one ending a drive and one for a score. I think he's a decent QB, but I don't know if he deserved all the money they gave him after that one good year.

And where was Amari Cooper? It was all west coast offense with Gruden - dinks and dunks.

Niners play Detroit next week. I hope Matt Patricia doesn't get them together in time and they look like they did against the Jets.

Darnold looks like the real deal too. When they interview him, you can see what an even-keeled guy he is too. Very Montana-esque, I daresay.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Sep 2018, 19:11

I know not many comment on college football, but the way Stanford dominated USC was fairly impressive. USC has QB problems - their true freshman who started has a good arm, but he's extremely green and their back up is pretty much just a running QB. They're defense is good so they should win some Pac 12 games but I don't know if they'll meet Stanford or Washington in the Pac 12 championship.

I'm a huge Stanford fan, but Shaw is a pound 'em type of coach. Bryce Love will break one or two like he did against SC, but you have to watch a lot of short runs to get one. I was almost hoping for third and longs and Stanford's QB, KJ Costello, has a gun. He and Arcega-Whiteside should be an exciting duo this season. And as always, Stanford has pro-level tight ends to throw to. Stanford and Washington are the league's cream of the crop.

Cal reminds me of SC. Great defense should keep them in games, but a ton of their best receivers left or transferred so the offense is a work in progress. They beat BYU on the road, which isn't easy, even though BYU had an off year last season. And BYU had beaten Arizona pretty soundly the week before. So, maybe Cal will be surprising. I think they're headed in the right direction with Justin Wilcox, but they may be typical Cal team. Wildly inconsistent. They were crazy to watch when Sonny Dykes was coaching and Goff and Davis Webb were QBing, but are much more disciplined now.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Sep 2018, 18:58

Ravens vs. Bengals tonight. Division foes and they played a good game late last season. Bengals robbed the Ravens of a playoff spot.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Sep 2018, 19:17

Good article on the current state of the Raiders: https://theathletic.com/520915/2018/09/ ... carr-next/

You might not be able to see it if you don't subscribe to the Athletic, which I recommend. All the best sports writers for each sport are being hired by them.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Sep 2018, 09:21

sloopjohnc wrote:Good article on the current state of the Raiders: https://theathletic.com/520915/2018/09/ ... carr-next/

You might not be able to see it if you don't subscribe to the Athletic, which I recommend. All the best sports writers for each sport are being hired by them.

I can't see it all but I'm pretty certain that Gruden and the ownership are looking at two years time and the move to Las Vegas. The Mack trade means four first round picks over the next couple of years.... just in time for Sept 2020. Have a couple more losing seasons, make their own picks high picks too.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Sep 2018, 14:53

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Good article on the current state of the Raiders: https://theathletic.com/520915/2018/09/ ... carr-next/

I can't see it all but I'm pretty certain that Gruden and the ownership are looking at two years time and the move to Las Vegas. The Mack trade means four first round picks over the next couple of years.... just in time for Sept 2020. Have a couple more losing seasons, make their own picks high picks too.

In typical overreaction, the article talks about getting rid of Carr too. I don't know why the hell Reggie McKenzie is staying on as GM.

Some Raiders fans love Gruden because they think it means a return to glory, but so far he's unnecessarily ruffled a few feathers. Frankly, I hope he fails because I think Mark Davis is an oaf. The sooner he sells the team, the better.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Sep 2018, 17:06

Hall Of Famers to go on strike?

http://dailysnark.com/nfl-hall-of-famer ... -ceremony/

Wow. The letter (in the link) sent to Goodell pulls no punches.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Sep 2018, 17:49

Diamond Dog wrote:Hall Of Famers to go on strike?

http://dailysnark.com/nfl-hall-of-famer ... -ceremony/

Wow. The letter (in the link) sent to Goodell pulls no punches.

I heard some opinions on this. Mike Golic, who has a popular radio show on ESPN, and played on the D-line with Reggie White and Jerome Brown, said that during the strikes he was involved in, it was the stars that crossed the picket lines first. He said that stars, and hall of famers, in this instance, are separating themselves from the average NFL player.

I think all NFL players should probably get a stipend, or a Healthcare Savings Account (HSA) as it's known here, to pay for any out of pocket expenses if they reach a certain tenure in the league. But then again, that leaves out players who had to leave before that due to injury. Before Obamacare, all these players probably would have a tough time getting healthcare due to previous health conditions, or certain conditions would have been exempted.

In 1989, 49er safety Jeff Fuller suffered a spinal injury in a game against the Patriots. Niners owner, Eddie DeBartolo, paid Fuller's contract in full in 1990, the season after the injury, even though he was legally obligated for only a small portion. DeBartolo also contributed to an annuity that pays Fuller about $100,000 annually for the rest of his life.

It shouldn't have to be this way and the NFL should be chipping in.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Sep 2018, 17:56

sloopjohnc wrote:I heard some opinions on this. Mike Golic, who has a popular radio show on ESPN, and played on the D-line with Reggie White and Jerome Brown, said that during the strikes he was involved in, it was the stars that crossed the picket lines first. He said that stars, and hall of famers, in this instance, are separating themselves from the average NFL player.

Well yeah by its very nature it has to be that, doesn't it? Obviously the Hall Of Famers are the stars....but yes I agreee with you about the average player.... I do wonder about the numbers involved though... 53 players on a roster x 32 teams = 1700 players. But looking at the money the NFL makes..... it's mindboggling really.

It will be interesting to see where it goes. Of course, the HoF'ers would claim they're getting the foot in the door for 'the others' I suppose.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Sep 2018, 18:48

Diamond Dog wrote:I do wonder about the numbers involved though... 53 players on a roster x 32 teams = 1700 players. But looking at the money the NFL makes..... it's mindboggling really.

I do too and the league is losing popularity somewhat. There must be some way they can put a billion in an annuity or something.

Revenues were $9 billion last year and Goodell wants it to reach $25 billion by 2027.

You'd think they could work with that.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Sep 2018, 21:12

Bryant Young and Brent Jones being nominated almost cancels out Jeff Garcia being nominated for next year's hall of fame class.

Jeff Garcia?

http://www.profootballhof.com/102-moder ... s-of-2019/

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 18 Sep 2018, 21:58

Is Michael Dickson's punting really blowing the minds of many like the Australian media says it is? The Rugby Union style drop kick kick off is getting a lot of airplay down here.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Sep 2018, 00:11

The Red Heifer wrote:Is Michael Dickson's punting really blowing the minds of many like the Australian media says it is? The Rugby Union style drop kick kick off is getting a lot of airplay down here.

I had to look him up, if that tells you anything.

When I did, I saw what they were referring to. He did a dropkick on a kick off to the other team rather than off a football tee as below. It was a novelty, but no one was going nuts over it.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 19 Sep 2018, 07:32

It's just hard with the imbecile factory known as Australian sports journalism to know what's really what. At least this is a bit more organic than Jarryd Hayne's time at the 49ers.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Sep 2018, 16:14

The Red Heifer wrote:It's just hard with the imbecile factory known as Australian sports journalism to know what's really what. At least this is a bit more organic than Jarryd Hayne's time at the 49ers.

:lol:

A brief, but glorious career.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Sep 2018, 16:48

I don;t think all is well in New England.... they got well beaten by the Jags on Sunday and Brady really didn't look too impressed with the playcalling... on D! Sitting there shaking his head as Jacksonville kept scoring points - it didn't look good. Maybe the fissure which appeared last season (allegedly around the Garoppolo trade) hasn't really gone away.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Sep 2018, 17:18

Diamond Dog wrote:I don;t think all is well in New England.... they got well beaten by the Jags on Sunday and Brady really didn't look too impressed with the playcalling... on D! Sitting there shaking his head as Jacksonville kept scoring points - it didn't look good. Maybe the fissure which appeared last season (allegedly around the Garoppolo trade) hasn't really gone away.

He could be seen yelling at his linemen, "Do your job!" while sitting on the bench. I heard this morning that he waits so long every year to announce he's coming back because of Belichick. It's also coming out again how Nick Saban felt stifled as D-coordinator for the Browns coaching under Belichick. Because of the conservative play calling, apparently.

How 'bout Antonio Brown not showing up for practice? They are saying Tomlin has lost control of the team.

Return to “Sporting Life”