NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
sloopjohnc

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Feb 2018, 16:36

Diamond Dog wrote::lol:

We've just scratched the surface, my friend, trust me....

Pete knows a lot for an English guy.

A good example is the Los Angeles Rams. A couple years ago, they had the top draft pick and selected QB, Jared Goff, from Cal. The year before, they had gotten a top draft pick in running back, Todd Gurley, from Univ. of Georgia.

They went 4-12 and fired their coach. A lot of the reason because he couldn't really utilize those two guys.

They hired a good young coach and went 11-5 this year and went to playoffs. Gurley became an MVP candidate.

Of any major US sport, coaching means the most in football. Of course, it's relative.

Last year, the Falcons were ahead 28-3 at the half and lost it because they were playing not to lose.

Doug Pederson, the Eagles coach, is aggressive - see the two 4th down plays for that, one leading to a touchdown where the QB caught a pass. There had only been one other QB reception in 51 years.

And the team that won it, did so without their starting QB, starting left tackle (most important offensive line position), and defensive signal caller and LB, Jordan Hicks. And I'm not even counting Darren Sproles, because they got Ajayi from the Dolphins.

By the way, Foles will stay and they will pay him, just because of what happened with Wentz going down this year.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Feb 2018, 17:01

sloopjohnc wrote:
By the way, Foles will stay and they will pay him, just because of what happened with Wentz going down this year.

I'm not sure they can do that within the salary cap John... if you're Wentz you feel it's your team and you expect to be back under centre next season. I've not heard anyone say he won't be. Foles, however, has just had a virtually flawless play off run along with a superb end of season.... he's 29 years old... He has one big contract left in him and one more shot to prove he could be the starting QB in the NFL. I don't see him accepting a back up spot, no matter what the Eagles offer him to do so. We've just seen what Alex Smith cost Washington. And what Kirk Cousins will cost someone else (probably Denver). If you're a GM or Head Coach and you have the chance to acquire Foles or Cousins.. which would you pick?

I just think the stars are aligned for Foles and he'll grab the opportunity.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Feb 2018, 17:13

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

I'm not sure they can do that within the salary cap John... if you're Wentz you feel it's your team and you expect to be back under centre next season. I've not heard anyone say he won't be. Foles, however, has just had a virtually flawless play off run along with a superb end of season.... he's 29 years old... He has one big contract left in him and one more shot to prove he could be the starting QB in the NFL. I don't see him accepting a back up spot, no matter what the Eagles offer him to do so. We've just seen what Alex Smith cost Washington. And what Kirk Cousins will cost someone else (probably Denver). If you're a GM or Head Coach and you have the chance to acquire Foles or Cousins.. which would you pick?

I just think the stars are aligned for Foles and he'll grab the opportunity.

He might. 11 or 12 teams need QBs next year, but he made $8 million this year. After his time with the Rams, Foles said the only coach he'd play for was Andy Reid or he was going to hang 'em up. Pederson talked him into coming back to Philly.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Feb 2018, 17:14

Diamond Dog wrote:If you're a GM or Head Coach and you have the chance to acquire Foles or Cousins.. which would you pick?

Cousins. And not think twice.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Feb 2018, 17:27

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:If you're a GM or Head Coach and you have the chance to acquire Foles or Cousins.. which would you pick?

I like Cousins. I'm surprised Washington went the Smith route as opposed to keeping Cousins. But, deep down, I can't help but think there may be a reason for that. Besides his woeful O-Line, that is.

I do wonder if Foles is driven enough to be a starter - he appears better coming off the bench as a replacement than as the main man. But what he has achieved this season has been spectacular. I cannot believe there aren't Offensive co-ordinators around the league looking at his calmness, his reading of the game, his ability to run the RPO, his deft touch as well as his arm, and his brilliance on third downs and thinking "Lord, that's exactly what I need here!". Someone is going to want to give up BIG PICKS AND/OR PLAYERS for him. He essentially has a year left before he can test Free Agency. Alot can happen in that time. If the Eagles trade now, they get the absolute maximum they can for him (and they have consistently talked up third string Nate Sudfeld too). He gets the absolute maximum he can too. And the team that trades for him gets a very hot QB just in time for season ticket and merchandise sales etc etc.... If the Eagles keep him, they'll just lose him at the end of next season for nothing. He's 29 now. His value is now. They already have a Franchise QB in Wentz and a third string they rate very highly.

I think he'll go and both the Eagles & Wentz will be happy with him going.
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Feb 2018, 17:44

sloopjohnc wrote:
Very Stable Baron wrote:Thank you, Internet:

Those ads took a lot of flack, I hear. I hated them and thought they were totally disrespectful - You don't use MLK, Jr. to sell burgers or dog food, etc.

This year's commercials, as my son and I said, was the year of the celebrity endorsement.

I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea! Nothng like spending your own money to crucify yourself.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Feb 2018, 19:31

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

I like Cousins. I'm surprised Washington went the Smith route as opposed to keeping Cousins. But, deep down, I can't help but think there may be a reason for that. Besides his woeful O-Line, that is.

I do wonder if Foles is driven enough to be a starter - he appears better coming off the bench as a replacement than as the main man. But what he has achieved this season has been spectacular. I cannot believe there aren't Offensive co-ordinators around the league looking at his calmness, his reading of the game, his ability to run the RPO, his deft touch as well as his arm, and his brilliance on third downs and thinking "Lord, that's exactly what I need here!". Someone is going to want to give up BIG PICKS AND/OR PLAYERS for him. He essentially has a year left before he can test Free Agency. Alot can happen in that time. If the Eagles trade now, they get the absolute maximum they can for him (and they have consistently talked up third string Nate Sudfeld too). He gets the absolute maximum he can too. And the team that trades for him gets a very hot QB just in time for season ticket and merchandise sales etc etc.... If the Eagles keep him, they'll just lose him at the end of next season for nothing. He's 29 now. His value is now. They already have a Franchise QB in Wentz and a third string they rate very highly.

Nate Sudfield from Indiana. He's a Modesto, CA, kid. He played at Modesto Christian, which is a big time CA high school program.

I agree with you on lots of points. Foles played extremely well in postseason. Supposedly, he and Wentz are good friends.

That does not make up for the $20 million a year he could get, as you mention, where 60% or more is guaranteed over four years.

Garoppollo is said to be close to signing and he'll make in the neighborhood of $30 million per year for less than 10 starts in his professional career.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Feb 2018, 08:45

I always think, particularly with QB's, you have to strike when your iron is hot. Foles' value will never exceed what it is now - short of winning another Superbowl. The Eagles are fully aware of this too and it makes sense for them to extract the maximum for a player who will be 30 and looking at free agency at the end of next season. The only thing I can see that would make the Eagles want to keep him is if there is a hitch with Wentz's recovery.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Feb 2018, 14:10

Diamond Dog wrote:The only thing I can see that would make the Eagles want to keep him is if there is a hitch with Wentz's recovery.

Which is not supposed to happen until after the season starts. Foles has a year left on his contract, so it's not really an issue.

Unless, teams come to the Eagles and offer a shitload of high draft picks. By the way, the Eagles have 21 of their 22 starters locked up for next season. After a Super Bowl, winning teams usually lose their best players to free agency. The Eagles have prepared for that.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Feb 2018, 16:21

Looks like Rueben Foster is our new Aldon Smith. Pot arrest last month and domestic abuse arrest on Sunday morning.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Mar 2018, 20:53

Forty Niner fans are pissed off they signed Richard Sherman. I could care less unless his achilles doesn't heal.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Mar 2018, 21:15

Seahawks fans are burning their Sherman shirts.

He was *cut* by the Seahawks - dumb fuckers. :lol:
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Mar 2018, 21:45

Diamond Dog wrote:Seahawks fans are burning their Sherman shirts.

He was *cut* by the Seahawks - dumb fuckers. :lol:

I like it. I think every defense needs a little "swag" and attitude and Sherman provides that. Like I wrote, I hope he can come back from the knee and achilles. If he can, it's great. It's a three year deal.

I saw some sportswriter citing his lower interception rate - three years ago, he led the league with 13 and the last two he's only had six. To me, that's bad sports writing, because you'd want to analyze if the corner had way less passes thrown his way, leading to the decline in picks, which would be my guess. They should've shown the stats for balls thrown his receivers on his side of the field the last three years.

I bet that's what it would've shown.

The last two years, the Niners have drafted pass rushers. Now, they're going after corners.

It's too bad Chris Borland quit and Reuben Foster is such a fuck up because that would be two good, young linebackers.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Mar 2018, 21:50

I meant the Hawks fans are fucking idiots - burning Sherman's shirts. It's hardly his fault Seattle chopped him , is it?!
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Mar 2018, 21:56

Diamond Dog wrote:I meant the Hawks fans are fucking idiots - burning Sherman's shirts. It's hardly his fault Seattle chopped him , is it?!

I know you did.

They're gutting the whole defense so I don't know why Sherman is the object of their particular ire.

After the Niners made their offer, Sherman, who's his own agent, called the Raiders to tell them, but they didn't have enough cap money.

And they need secondary guys too.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Mar 2018, 16:00

Wow, I have never seen such a wacky and wide-open free agent season in the NFL.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Mar 2018, 00:06

What the hell is up with the Rams. Just acquired Ndamukong Suh to go with Aaron Donald on the line and Marcus Peters and Talib in the defensive backfield. Holy crap!

Watch the rest of the NFC West go offensive line crazy in draft.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Mar 2018, 06:39

Jeez... Suh & Donald... that's fucking scary.
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 27 Mar 2018, 08:12

It looks like the Rams are all in this season. But this season only.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Apr 2018, 18:28

Jumper K wrote:It looks like the Rams are all in this season. But this season only.

Just traded for Brandin Cooks yesterday. Seeing as Sammie Watkins is going away, that's a good pick up.

Return to “Sporting Life”