NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Jan 2019, 20:31

Well that was justice.... An unbelievable blown call by the officials on the watt catch..and then how they move it back a yard I've no idea.... so the TD to Williams was more than justified. Come on chargers!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Jan 2019, 21:34

How the hell did the Ravens manage to get that so close? The Chargers just stopped playing.
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jan 2019, 21:40

I only saw the last quarter (my fault) but it was an exciting quarter! I don't have a horse in the race or the next one either, just want to see a good game.

On to the Bears and Eagles!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Jan 2019, 09:57

Diamond Dog wrote:I had a little dabble - all four road teams with the points in doubles, trebles and a four timer... obviously Indy won, and the Seattle line was 2.5 points (phew)..... so I need the Chargers (+2.5 pts) and Eagles (+6.5 - which I think is huge) to get me through and I collect around £130 for about £20 invested. Which would be nice.....

Well that was a pleasant surprise! :)

I have never been as convinced of the Bears as others offensively, and Cody Parkey has been a potential issue all season. It finally came home to roost yesterday. Tough way to go out but if you can't win a home fixture.... you don't deserve to progress.

Great wildcard weekend - besides the Colts blowout, they all came down to the wire (though lord knows how the Chargers let Baltimore get within sight of them). Three road victories too.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Jan 2019, 10:54

That Eagles- Bears match was crazy. One of the best games all season.
Parkey is toast, that's for sure.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Jan 2019, 17:34

I'm going for the hometown picks here: Rams and Chargers for the superbowl.

I'll be happy if either one makes it.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Jan 2019, 18:38

The Chargers D gameplan was an exercise in a whole new level of creativity. How do you combat the Ravens running game? 7 DBs. Thats how. Absolute genius.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Jan 2019, 20:12

Jumper K wrote:The Chargers D gameplan was an exercise in a whole new level of creativity. How do you combat the Ravens running game? 7 DBs. Thats how. Absolute genius.

Absolutely. Exactly the opposite of how you'd traditionally stuff a run heavy offence.

I still can't believe the Ravens had a chance to actually win that game - they were completely outclassed in every department for 54 minutes.
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Jan 2019, 20:27

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jumper K wrote:The Chargers D gameplan was an exercise in a whole new level of creativity. How do you combat the Ravens running game? 7 DBs. Thats how. Absolute genius.

Absolutely. Exactly the opposite of how you'd traditionally stuff a run heavy offence.

I still can't believe the Ravens had a chance to actually win that game - they were completely outclassed in every department for 54 minutes.

Hey, it’s the Chargers, it’s what we do :mrgreen:
Going back to the DB thing could we be seeing a shift in contemporary thinking akin to Air Coryell? Smaller, faster hybrids replacing the current Linebacker blueprint. Or maybe not.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Jan 2019, 21:44

Jumper K wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Hey, it’s the Chargers, it’s what we do :mrgreen:
Going back to the DB thing could we be seeing a shift in contemporary thinking akin to Air Coryell? Smaller, faster hybrids replacing the current Linebacker blueprint. Or maybe not.

I read an article earlier in the season saying almost exactly that Frank - that the safety position (certainly strong safety, anyway) was becoming an endangered species, as alot of teams are looking to replace a LB and the SS with two 'inbetweeners'... to give added flexibility and some kind of failsafe against both the run and the pass. There were a lot of very very good safeties that didn't get picked up in free agency this season and/or had to take significant pay cuts to secure a role. I think the role of the quick linebacker and strong safety are becoming virtually interchangeable.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Jan 2019, 11:53

Looking at the athleticism on both sides of the ball, that new hybrid of DB is already well on its way. Judging by the way Clemson decimated the top line and bamboozled Alabama's terrific offensive line, I can see this new generation take over fairly quickly.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Jan 2019, 10:19

I was listening to Pro Football Talk last night and they were raising the serious point about what happens if Foles gets the Eagles past the Saints this week - would there be serious consideration within the coaching staff and/or front office as to whether he is the long term solution for Philadelphia and, maybe, Wentz is expendable?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Jan 2019, 10:49

So how do we see the playoffs this week?

Colts @ Chiefs
Cowboys @ Rams
Chargers @ Patriots
Eagles @ Saints?
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Jan 2019, 11:22

I think the Colts can sneak by the Chiefs. KC must find a way to sack Andrew Luck and influence his decision making when throwing the ball.

The Cowboys looked a bit banged up last week and I think the Rams really look ready to go the full tilt.

Hard to vote against the Patriots and iI don't think they'll be the same sorry mess the Ravens were in the first half. The Chargers, errr, charge to the finals certainly is as big a surprise as the rise of Mahomes and the Rams and everyone keeps on tipping them to lose momentum and drop out. They do look the complete machine though. I wouldn't give them a chance but then again I have watched Clemson spear the almighty Alabama so who knows....

All the talk about Foles mask the excellent defensive performance of the Eagles against the Bears. If they can stop Kamara running roughshod through their line and secondary, they have a chance. I will tip the Saints though.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Jan 2019, 12:51

Diamond Dog wrote:So how do we see the playoffs this week?

Colts @ Chiefs
Cowboys @ Rams
Chargers @ Patriots
Eagles @ Saints?

I think the Colts may win another rip 'em up in Kansas - the under/over is 57.5 points and that could be gone by the end of the first half! The Chiefs will obviously score but I see their D getting lacerated by Luck. It may be tight, but Indy will win (and they're +5.5 points in most spreads).

The Rams have struggled the past month. There still has to be a doubt about Gurley being able to participate fully. And The Cowboys have been brutal against running backs - see Carson last week for Seattle. However - I still think LA will score points, mainly because of that exceptional pass offence. And their D, whilst less than stellar, has been able to exert extreme pressure on opposing QB's via Aaron Donald and Prescott has been poor when he's been pushed out of the pocket this season mostly. I'm not sure if the Rams will cover the -7.5 points spread, but I do think they'll win. One anomaly you'll witness here - this will be like a Dallas home game. They will take over The Colisseum (as the Packers did earlier in the season).

The Chargers were stunning for 55 minutes last week. They are up against a Patriots team that has mostly failed to impress all season. But... New England are 8-0 at home and Foxboro in January is not generally a pleasant place for visitors. They will have had the extra week to scheme a winning formula too. I'd really love to see the Chargers overcome the Evil Empire but, sadly, I think the Patriots will just sneak it. They will struggle to beat the 4.5 point spread though.

Finally the resurgent Eagles against the favourite Saints. I have visions of Drew Brees connecting with Thomas over and over again against Maddox, the Phily rookie CB and running up yards (and points). And homefield for New Orleans is a big advantage. But... I just have this thing about the Eagles and Foles. They will stop the run, I think, and that is likely to be crucial. I'm not sure that the Saints can win without a rushing attack and time of possession in their favour. The Eagles rushing offence has struggled all year - but that may not be such an issue because the Saints strength in defence is the run anyway. I'm not sure they will be able to stop Foles picking apart a very suspect secondary. I think it could be an absolute fabulous game but I think the Eagles may just sneak it (they should certainly cover the 7.5 point spread)
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 09 Jan 2019, 16:09

Chiefs will win by 2 scores. I’m looking forward to a high scoring shoot out.
Rams to outlast the Cowpunks by 1 score.
Chargers D finds a way to win. Super Mel and JB Bigbear to mash Brady all night. We win by a FG.
Eagles come up short. Saints by 2 scores.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Jan 2019, 09:22

It seems a lot of the tipsters are highlighting the Chiefs & Rams as victims of likely upsets..... with the Saints as nailed on to go through....
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Jan 2019, 22:01

So far the Chiefs are tearing the Colts-D to shreds!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jan 2019, 12:13

The Chiefs were excellent, the Colts dreadful. When Vinatieri misses a 20 yd FG and an extra point, it's probably not your day.

The Rams did it in an unexpected way by completely bossing the Cowboys on the ground - Anderson & Gurley both had 100+ yards games (and scored three TD's) and restricted Elliott to 47 yards. Dallas lives and dies by Elliott - don't believe any of the nonsense about Prescott being elite, without Elliott he's average. The Rams secondary is still way below the level needed - Peters & Talib ([particularly) committed stupid penalties that kept Dallas in a game they had no right to still be contesting. Either they sharpen up (no matter who they play next week) or LA will be out.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Jan 2019, 19:33

It's kind of bizarre to see the season stats being overturned in both games- the Rams who were worst of stopping the run (5.6 YPC) holding the cowboys to 2.1 YPC. Their OL was terrific in opening the holes for Gurley and the 'bowling ball' CJ Anderson who individually ran up the record sheets of yards against Dallas in the post season. Flip the script -stuff.

Similar to what happened with the Colts offense and, right now the Chargers D. Both getting stuffed.

Return to “Sporting Life”