NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Jumper K

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby Jumper K » 13 Jan 2019, 20:19

This is freakin embarrassing

Six String

Postby Six String » 13 Jan 2019, 21:51

The Cowboys and the Chargers looked befuddled in their games.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Jan 2019, 22:42

Eagles doing surprisingly well so far...

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Jan 2019, 08:32

Jumper K wrote:This is freakin embarrassing

Unfortunately Frank, it really was. The Chargers were absolutely schooled when the Pats had the ball (particularly). That being said, the first half was one of the greatest 30 minutes of play calling and on the pitch execution I've ever witnessed. It was stunning, clinical and an absolute masterclass in how to play to your strengths and exploit the weaknesses of the opposing D. A thing of truly great beauty.

I know we are running out of superlatives regarding New England but they are absolutely unique - it's like they finish a game (which they've probably won) and throw the playbooks in the bin and completely re-draw the upcoming week. They must be an absolute nightmare to prepare for - and even more daunting on the pitch. I love the way they put defenders in situations they weren't prepared for - and have possibly never seen before - and give them just enough of it so the D think they've solved that particular test ...and then move onto another scheme (which completely blows the adjustments apart). It's astonishing, it truly is. And don't kid yourself they have the best/most talented group of players - they absolutely do not. Years and years of low draft picks and the salary cap (having to pay continual winners costs money) have seen to that. They just use the players they have brilliantly, get the absolute maximum out of them (including multi-tasking) and choose the players with particular skillsets better than anyone else. It is truly remarkable - much as we may not like 'them'.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Jan 2019, 11:25

Sets up the Chiefs-Pats game really well.... both teams very dominant in their games.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Jan 2019, 17:30

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jumper K wrote:This is freakin embarrassing

Unfortunately Frank, it really was. The Chargers were absolutely schooled when the Pats had the ball (particularly). That being said, the first half was one of the greatest 30 minutes of play calling and on the pitch execution I've ever witnessed. It was stunning, clinical and an absolute masterclass in how to play to your strengths and exploit the weaknesses of the opposing D. A thing of truly great beauty.

I know we are running out of superlatives regarding New England but they are absolutely unique - it's like they finish a game (which they've probably won) and throw the playbooks in the bin and completely re-draw the upcoming week. They must be an absolute nightmare to prepare for - and even more daunting on the pitch. I love the way they put defenders in situations they weren't prepared for - and have possibly never seen before - and give them just enough of it so the D think they've solved that particular test ...and then move onto another scheme (which completely blows the adjustments apart). It's astonishing, it truly is. And don't kid yourself they have the best/most talented group of players - they absolutely do not. Years and years of low draft picks and the salary cap (having to pay continual winners costs money) have seen to that. They just use the players they have brilliantly, get the absolute maximum out of them (including multi-tasking) and choose the players with particular skillsets better than anyone else. It is truly remarkable - much as we may not like 'them'.

I couldn’t believe we went with essentially the same D, mostly DBs, against the Pats. I don’t think it would have altered the result and we are threadbare at LB, but a more traditional D would have been better against the running game. Number 17 still hasn’t got a win over Brady and next season us probably his last chance if we manage to beef up in the trenches. Come on Mahomes!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jan 2019, 09:10

It was strange that they essentially didn't adjust that either until it was way too late, Frank.

Still - it's a better season than most thought you'd have so onwards and upwards next season. But you're running out of years with Rivers.....
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jan 2019, 09:17

So...down to the last four.... how do we see the games going?

Two fascinating contests..... I'm really looking forward to the Chiefs/Pats. Obviously I'm hoping the Rams can overcome the odds and get a result in New Orleans but... that looks tough...
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 17 Jan 2019, 10:58

The way the previous games flipped the stat-script of this season makes it hard to confidently tip any team. The Pats is almost a default-setting on reaching the Superbowl. It is like you said, they don't take shortcuts and they are as hungry as ever to win- no mean feat for a team that has won it all several times.
Can the Chiefs keep a clean pocket for Mahomes? Their OL looked awesome against the Colts but they will be tested more vigorously on Sunday. Typical case of the heart wanting KC to win but the head....

I think the Rams can beat the Saints...New Orleans looked completely shot after conceding the first two touchdowns and the Rams look like the kind of team that, unlike Philadelphia, keep the points coming.

I so badly want a repeat of Rams-Chiefs in the big one.... Please, make it so.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jan 2019, 13:23

Current Superbowl odds :

Saints 15/8
Chiefs 5/2
Patriots & Rams 7/2

I can't remember the final four being so closely grouped in terms of price. That's incredibly close between all four teams.
Cocaine

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 Jan 2019, 17:07

I love this time of year with the NFL. The rest of my life is sucking at the moment, unfortunately - but at least I've got football.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Jan 2019, 14:19

Really feel its going to be Brees/Brady super bowl. Just don't see NO losing at home and their defense is better than the Rams. I do think KC is the better team and the Pats haven't played well on the road this year but B and B seem to find a way in these title games. However, I'm rooting for a KC/Rams super bowl.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 19 Jan 2019, 06:42

Go Rams! Only cos I got skin in the game. I desperately want Mahomes to win the lot though. So Pats/Saints Superbowl it is.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2019, 08:10

Jumper K wrote:Go Rams! Only cos I got skin in the game. I desperately want Mahomes to win the lot though. So Pats/Saints Superbowl it is.

We're in exactly the same boat ... I'm still holding onto my Rams ticket from April at 10/1....

I have a nasty feeling the Chiefs should win, but will find a way to blow it. I see them getting a decent lead early on but then running out of steam and the Patriots overhauling them in the last couple of minutes. The weather will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on Brady or the Patriots, of that I'm sure - they're kind of used to cold and snow in January.

The Rams will find it much harder to run the ball this week than last. But that may not be quite the issue it would be with others, as I think Goff has clearly been working on a quicker release. From the first game, LA have got Talib back and CJ Anderson to alleviate the burden on Gurley. But their secondary still gives me the jitters every game. I think the game will be decided by Donald & Suh.... if they can stop Kamara and Ingram inside, that may just be enough to force Brees into taking risks with deep throws that he has an increasing inclination to underthrow... I'm probably tilting at windmills here but I just see the Rams committing less errors/turnovers and winning by a FG or so.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2019, 10:06

Matt Wilson wrote:I love this time of year with the NFL. The rest of my life is sucking at the moment, unfortunately - but at least I've got football.

It is magical weekend after magical weekend in January in the NFL. High drama throughout.
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Jan 2019, 19:59

I've been looking forward to these games all week. I'm hoping for a KC/NO SB but as long as the games are good and they should be, I'll be happy.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Jan 2019, 23:29

Congrats Rams! great game hoping for another! Although the Saints got hosed how is that not interference?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 21 Jan 2019, 02:02

Hightea wrote:Congrats Rams! great game hoping for another! Although the Saints got hosed how is that not interference?

yeah, the saints got majorly hosed on that non-call. a good thing lewis got up unscathed after the helmet to helmet.

that being said, i like what drew said after the game. he said (a paraphrase), we could've won in overtime. we should've. we didn't.

drew is never one to make excuses.

congrats to the rams. a close game. and a killer field goal.

i will spend the rest of the evening nursing my lushy discontent and hoping the chiefs win. i only really have one reason for that. i want andy reid to win one before he's done. that is all.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jan 2019, 10:13

That has to be the very worst non interference call I've ever witnessed - the DB has his back to the ball, never turns his head (if he had, he would have realised he only had to spin 180 and he has a certain interception) and literally just blows the receiver up without ever seeing the ball. I don't know how more blatant pass interference can be - incredibly poor officiating. I think Payton and Brees showed a huge amount of restraint and respect in their post match comments - I don't know how much more painful a bad decision can be for anyone, in all honesty.

That being said, of course I'm pleased that The Rams have progressed - to come from 13-0 down in that incredibly hostile environment is some achievement. And Goff answered all of his critics last night - pretty much faultless (in the circumstances) and he had to do it all without a run game too. The D was huge as well. Greg Zuerlein though - to nail two 'game on the line' FG's was incredible - I think the 57 yard winner was good for at least 10 more, don't you? Great game, in an entirely different way from the game earlier in the season.

And then the Chiefs/Patriots drama - just astonishing. I thought the Patriots were going to destroy Kansas when they had that chance to make it 14-0 so early, after completely dominating the game up to that point. That was an inexplicably poor decision by Brady to throw that interception there, and it breathed life into Mahomes and co. For it then to pan out the way it did, with an unbelievable final quarter where the momentum switched so many times, was really something to behold. The Chiefs really do need to think about their D though - to keep playing the Cover 2 against Brady was inviting him down the field - they had to change it up at least occasionally. But can you imagine how dangerous Kansas will be next season, where a few of those 'rookie' errors by Mahomes won't be happening? They've been an absolute delight this season - it's just a shame we aren't going to get the Rams v Chiefs rematch for the Superbowl. But the Patriots - it's just phenomenal, isn't it?
Cocaine

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 21 Jan 2019, 12:25

Diamond Dog wrote:I think the 57 yard winner was good for at least 10 more, don't you?

absolutely. that thing would've been good from 70 yards out. a great kick.

two conference championship games going to overtime... amazing.

the superbowl's gonna be lit.

Return to “Sporting Life”