The Manchester City Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jun 2017, 13:23

I wouldn't count your chickens with Sanchez just yet. From what I hear, the club are extremely reluctant to sell to City. I know we've sold to you in the past, but that fact makes it less, rather than more, likely to happen because the club are keen to counter the image they have as a selling club whose players can be picked off by their domestic rivals.
It may still happen - especially if Sanchez becomes a stroppy c**t about it -but it's far from a formality.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Jun 2017, 13:57

The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't count your chickens with Sanchez just yet. From what I hear, the club are extremely reluctant to sell to City. I know we've sold to you in the past, but that fact makes it less, rather than more, likely to happen because the club are keen to counter the image they have as a selling club whose players can be picked off by their domestic rivals.
It may still happen - especially if Sanchez becomes a stroppy c**t about it -but it's far from a formality.

His attitude near the end of the season would put me off slightly, also does his missus like Manchester?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jun 2017, 14:05

The Great Defector wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't count your chickens with Sanchez just yet. From what I hear, the club are extremely reluctant to sell to City. I know we've sold to you in the past, but that fact makes it less, rather than more, likely to happen because the club are keen to counter the image they have as a selling club whose players can be picked off by their domestic rivals.

His attitude near the end of the season would put me off slightly, also does his missus like Manchester?

With a massive wage increase, I'm sure his attitude will be fine! :D
I just don't think it'll be as easy to prise him from Arsenal as some City fans seem to believe.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Jun 2017, 14:30

I just find it tough to trust a player (no matter how talented) who acts like a dick to get away from a club. It's like if he gets pissed off at man city, whose to say he won't do the same? He's not the first player to do this and he won't be the last, it's just I'd be a bit nervous about it if I was the buying club.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jun 2017, 14:32

The Great Defector wrote:I just find it tough to trust a player (no matter how talented) who acts like a dick to get away from a club. It's like if he gets pissed off at man city, whose to say he won't do the same? He's not the first player to do this and he won't be the last, it's just I'd be a bit nervous about it if I was the buying club.

With Ya Ya "Birthday Cake" Toure there already, they have plenty of experience of dealing with spoilt, immature children.
a bunch of dudes jamming but some of the abrupt edits serve as a reminder it owes a lot to technology. It finds ***** distancing himself from his musical past, but it sounds equally far from the dense abstraction his music would take on later

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jun 2017, 15:25

Yeah..if players acting like primadonnas was a reason to stop a signing, then the big clubs would struggle to buy anyone.
Besides I don't think Sanchez has done anything too bad, he's thrown a few strops and rubbed up some people the wrong way, but nothing shocking that would prevent a club from buying him.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 29 Jun 2017, 17:12

I've supported City all my life. I stopped counting chickens in 1981.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2017, 23:46

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/18/arsenal-alexis-sanchez-finances-contract-arsene-wenger

Don't say I didn't warn you Kal. ;)

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 19 Jul 2017, 13:50

No bad thing. I don't like the idea of City sweeping up the stars of other teams just because they can flex their cash muscles.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 19 Jul 2017, 16:11

So having just spent £50m on a right-back, City have decided the logical next step is to... spend £26m on another right-back.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 19 Jul 2017, 18:56

PENK wrote:So having just spent £50m on a right-back, City have decided the logical next step is to... spend £26m on another right-back.

They may need someone to supply crosses in the last twenty minutes.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 12:09

jimboo wrote:
PENK wrote:So having just spent £50m on a right-back, City have decided the logical next step is to... spend £26m on another right-back.

They may need someone to supply crosses in the last twenty minutes.

It's laughable isn't it. £76 million on the right back position, £35 million on a keeper, £52 million on the left back... that's £162 million so far for three positions...... :lol: And, the key thing is, I'm not aware of any of them being particularly noted for their defensive skills.... even the keeper!
a bunch of dudes jamming but some of the abrupt edits serve as a reminder it owes a lot to technology. It finds ***** distancing himself from his musical past, but it sounds equally far from the dense abstraction his music would take on later

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Jul 2017, 14:35

It'll be fascinating to see how they adjust to the prem. Certainly a large transfer fee is no guarantee of success. Look at Mangala -he cost 40 million!

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 26 Aug 2017, 13:38

"Sterling makes wrong decision"

Will he ever learn?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Aug 2017, 14:30

Mike Dean really is a joke - an absolute disgrace.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Aug 2017, 22:41

It's the rules of the game.

A stupid rule, of course. Sterling is daft for celebrating that way, the powers that be are idiots for having the rule in the first place - but the ref can't be criticised for giving him a yellow.

For some of his other decisions, however...
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Aug 2017, 09:15

I wrote my comment way before Sterling scored but it fits that moment just fine.

What exactly is the offence? Is it leaving the field of play or engaging with the crowd? I ask because when Charlie Daniels scored his wonderful goal he ran right up to the edge and the only difference was that there were no fans encroaching. In many ways it was the fault of the City fans.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 27 Aug 2017, 09:52

that rule has been in use up here for years. I think if it causes fans to spill over then it's an automatic yellow. of course the question then is why he didn't book every single player
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Aug 2017, 10:11

Yes, it's either none or all, isn't it.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 27 Aug 2017, 10:33

I guess because Sterling was the instigator as the scorer and the one who led the charge towards the fans?

It is a silly rule; the reasoning seems to be that it is a timewasting issue rather than a safety one, but it could be much better implemented and explained. For example just let the opposition kick off after a certain time has elapsed regardless of whether all the players are back in position...