The Manchester City Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 5633
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Dec 2015, 20:05

Bugger. Didn't think you could read thinks when the writer is editing.
Image

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11882
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Geezee » 10 Dec 2015, 08:37

K wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:
K wrote:No, but it's really interesting as a City fan of many years to see the continued preference for United. You must have heard the famous story of (I think) 1969 when City made it through to the quarter finals of the cup winners cup and were therefore the only British club left in Europe but many papers went with the story that United had beaten Bristol Rovers 1-0 in the league cup or some such.





Yes, it's a pretty famous story. One of those 'You'll always remember where you were when you first heard it ones. Below John Kennedy's assassination, Lennon's murder, who shot JR, Princess Di's death, Man Utd being relegated in 1974,Man Utd being relegated in '37 (oh how we laughed at that one!), the sinking of the Titanic, Man Utd being relegated in 1931, the cancellation of Star Trek original series, Newton Heath being relegated in 1894, the distinct possibility of a one of the ends at Maine Road being named after Colin Bell, learning that Franny Lee truly was a womble, but well above the one when Father Christmas (famously) changed his wardrobe from green to red.

:D
well it is round our way.


so you have both a superiority complex and a minority complex. christ!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Dec 2015, 12:09

That would be 1969-70 which is the same year Celtic were runners up in the European cup
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 6922
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 10 Dec 2015, 12:32

Goat Boy wrote:That would be 1969-70 which is the same year Celtic were runners up in the European cup

OK. English club.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Dec 2015, 12:40

Arsenal won the Fairs City cup
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 6922
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 10 Dec 2015, 12:54

:lol:
I'm done. I must have dreamt it.

Still fucking hate United.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 16717
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby trans-chigley express » 10 Dec 2015, 14:25

John aka Josh wrote:
K wrote:No, but it's really interesting as a City fan of many years to see the continued preference for United. You must have heard the famous story of (I think) 1969 when City made it through to the quarter finals of the cup winners cup and were therefore the only British club left in Europe but many papers went with the story that United had beaten Bristol Rovers 1-0 in the league cup or some such.





Yes, it's a pretty famous story. One of those 'You'll always remember where you were when you first heard it ones. Below John Kennedy's assassination, Lennon's murder, who shot JR, Princess Di's death, Man Utd being relegated in 1974,Man Utd being relegated in '37 (oh how we laughed at that one!), the sinking of the Titanic, Man Utd being relegated in 1931, the cancellation of Star Trek original series, Newton Heath being relegated in 1894, the distinct possibility of a one of the ends at Maine Road being named after Colin Bell, learning that Franny Lee truly was a womble, but well above the one when Father Christmas (famously) changed his wardrobe from green to red.


I was sat on my grandfather's knee, carefully peeling off some toffee encrusted from his dogtoothed waistcoat (whippets, as you ask. He used to keep them under his flat cap). "Listen boy," he said - he never was good with names - "Manchester City have only just gone and got through to the quarter final of the cup winner's cup by narrowly beating Koninklijke Lierse Sportkring eight nil on aggregate, and let me say, after only beating them by three goals to nil in the first leg, away from home it was a real doubt that they would be able to hold on at home - you know what the weather can be like in Manchester, real muslim stuff, makes all the difference - well, they've only just done it like, and, you know what, you know what," he spluttered, spattering my pale blue painted cheeks with some really nasty, bitter mint flavoured spittle,

"Yes I do, it's a card game with shapes and numbers and it's second in fun only to learning that ManUre have lost," I interjected (he made me clean it up later).

"Nay lad, hold onto your horses, come back here, come back here, you haven't got any bleedin' horses, they've only gone and ignored the City again because those spawny journalists think those jammy bastards united winning a league cup replay game against Brian Clough's Derby County one feckin nil is more important. Blooming Brian Kidd fluked it - he'll never amount to much, thank God we didn't sign him - more important than City being the only Engerlish club in European football! I ask you what," he articulated with the precision of an oil sheik drilling a whore.

"Oh," I said, "matter of fact, what did you mean by muslim weather?"

"Well, here in Manchester it's always sunny or she-ite."



Never forgotten it.

:lol:

I do remember where I was when they were relegated to the third tier of English football in 1998 - with a very disgruntled City supporting mate drowning his sorrows in a Hong Kong bar :lol:

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 6922
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 10 Dec 2015, 16:25

Don't remind me.
Happily, I was there at Wembley when we started the journey back up...
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 16717
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Dec 2015, 16:10

I see City fans have come disguised as blue chairs again for today's visit of Swansea :lol:

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 6922
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 28 Feb 2016, 20:28

:D
First cup of the season.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 63887
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Feb 2016, 07:23

They were the best of two pretty poor sides, it must be said.

If those two teams are two of the bst in the EPL, we're fucked.
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 16717
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Feb 2016, 10:02

I couldn't watch the game as it wasn't shown in Hong Kong but surprisingly they did have full commentary on the World Service so listened to that. It didn't seem like either team played well and Mignolet had his obligatory howler but City had the best chances. The ref was poor too by the sound of it. I did think Liverpool would win the shootout as they usually do. Damn you Caballero :x

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 16717
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Feb 2016, 10:05

Diamond Dog wrote:
If those two teams are two of the bst in the EPL, we're fucked.


City may be one of the best, and on paper they should be THE best, but not Liverpool. They are mid-table for a good reason.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11168
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Rayge » 29 Feb 2016, 14:43

trans-chigley express wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
If those two teams are two of the bst in the EPL, we're fucked.


City may be one of the best, and on paper they should be THE best, but not Liverpool. They are mid-table for a good reason.


City have got some great individuals, but they're not really a great team, are they? Several of their star players often seem to be playing for themselves.
Mind you, I think if Klopp gets two or three years at the job, he will make one of the Puddle. Very impressed by him.

I was going to go on at length, but best take it to the EPL thread
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 6922
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 16 Aug 2016, 21:19

"Come back Pelligrini"
Actual text message I saw on someone's phone on the way back from the City match on Saturday.
:D
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16060
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby The Great Defector » 22 Feb 2017, 16:14

You think the city team will be completely different come the start of the new season? I can see a lot of players going.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 21873
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Toby » 23 Feb 2017, 10:20

Interestingly, going back to the discussion back in 2015 about United being knocked out of the group stage being the bigger story - well I think City are probably now the most senior Premiership team in terms of prestige in the Champions League. United haven't been it for a while, Arsenal always get knocked out at the last 16, Chelsea aren't in it and Spurs can't even qualify for the knock out stages. Having reached the semis last season, whilst I think a semi appearance may be beyond them this season because of their terrible defence, they are now entering that moment where they are expected to make the Quarters at least.

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 6922
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 01 Mar 2017, 20:29

Great line in the Guardian minute-by-minute commentary for tonight's game:
That seems to be Bravo’s weakness: shots on target.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 63887
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Mar 2017, 20:46

So 45 minutes of utter crap from Man City against Stoke. De Bruyne 'world class'? A horrendous first half from him. Toure is wandering around like an old man. And what exactly is the point of Navas - has he ever played a half decent game? They may well improve the second half - they couldn't possibly play much worse
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 6922
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 08 Mar 2017, 21:42

City look knackered. They've played a lot of games and I think it's catching up with them.
It has 1-0 to Stoke written all over it.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!