Tomahawk Kid

Re: The Manchester City Thread

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 11 Feb 2013, 18:25

Kid P wrote:The new Blackburn Rovers?

Fingers crossed

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 08 Dec 2015, 22:39

K wrote:If you've ever wondered where the "bitter blue" tag comes from...

Goodison?

Hadn't Citeh already qualified? I know their result means they top their group, but United failing to qualify is the bigger story.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Dec 2015, 00:14

K wrote:Just in case anyone still wants to know what it's like as a City fan, the BBC news headlines then were not "Manchester City go through to the next round of the champions league by winning their group after coming back from being 2-1 down" but "Manchester Untied are out of the champions league after defeat"

If you've ever wondered where the "bitter blue" tag comes from...

As the BBC is London-centric I guess they considered it more important to keep the local fans informed of their team's results.

Actually I think what Josh says about City having already qualified makes sense but then again on our local news in Hong Kong Man Utd's result ALWAYS takes the lead in the sports round up regardless of where they are in the league. They are the most popular team by some distance so you just have to suck it up and accept it.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 09 Dec 2015, 11:07

K wrote:Just in case anyone still wants to know what it's like as a City fan, the BBC news headlines then were not "Manchester City go through to the next round of the champions league by winning their group after coming back from being 2-1 down" but "Manchester Untied are out of the champions league after defeat"

If you've ever wondered where the "bitter blue" tag comes from...

And you are only serving to reinforce that tag - as has been said, it's completely natural and normal that a team being knocked out is going to be bigger news than a team that has already qualified. It takes a special kind of fan to have sour grapes even when your team is winning.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Dec 2015, 12:07

United exiting the tournament at the group phase is without doubt by far the bigger story. I mean, it's not as if City have covered themselves in glory in this competition so far is it?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 09 Dec 2015, 12:59

John aka Josh wrote:
K wrote:If you've ever wondered where the "bitter blue" tag comes from...

Goodison?

:lol:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 09 Dec 2015, 18:57

Plus your manager doesn't seem to bring alot of crap on himself.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 09 Dec 2015, 19:31

K wrote:No, but it's really interesting as a City fan of many years to see the continued preference for United. You must have heard the famous story of (I think) 1969 when City made it through to the quarter finals of the cup winners cup and were therefore the only British club left in Europe but many papers went with the story that United had beaten Bristol Rovers 1-0 in the league cup or some such.

Yes, it's a pretty famous story. One of those 'You'll always remember where you were when you first heard it ones. Below John Kennedy's assassination, Lennon's murder, who shot JR, Princess Di's death, Man Utd being relegated in 1974,Man Utd being relegated in '37 (oh how we laughed at that one!), the sinking of the Titanic, Man Utd being relegated in 1931, the cancellation of Star Trek original series, Newton Heath being relegated in 1894, the distinct possibility of a one of the ends at Maine Road being named after Colin Bell, learning that Franny Lee truly was a womble, but well above the one when Father Christmas (famously) changed his wardrobe from green to red.

I was sat on my grandfather's knee, carefully peeling off some toffee encrusted from his dogtoothed waistcoat (whippets, as you ask. He used to keep them under his flat cap). "Listen boy," he said - he never was good with names - "Manchester City have only just gone and got through to the quarter final of the cup winner's cup by narrowly beating Koninklijke Lierse Sportkring eight nil on aggregate, and let me say, after only beating them by three goals to nil in the first leg, away from home it was a real doubt that they would be able to hold on at home - you know what the weather can be like in Manchester, real muslim stuff, makes all the difference - well, they've only just done it like, and, you know what, you know what," he spluttered, spattering my pale blue painted cheeks with some really nasty, bitter mint flavoured spittle,

"Yes I do, it's a card game with shapes and numbers and it's second in fun only to learning that ManUre have lost," I interjected (he made me clean it up later).

"Nay lad, hold onto your horses, come back here, come back here, you haven't got any bleedin' horses, they've only gone and ignored the City again because those spawny journalists think those jammy bastards united winning a league cup replay game against Brian Clough's Derby County one feckin nil is more important. Blooming Brian Kidd fluked it - he'll never amount to much, thank God we didn't sign him - more important than City being the only Engerlish club in European football! I ask you what," he articulated with the precision of an oil sheik drilling a whore.

"Oh," I said, "matter of fact, what did you mean by muslim weather?"

"Well, here in Manchester it's always sunny or she-ite."

Never forgotten it.
Last edited by Spock! on 09 Dec 2015, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 09 Dec 2015, 20:05

Bugger. Didn't think you could read thinks when the writer is editing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 10 Dec 2015, 08:37

K wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:
K wrote:No, but it's really interesting as a City fan of many years to see the continued preference for United. You must have heard the famous story of (I think) 1969 when City made it through to the quarter finals of the cup winners cup and were therefore the only British club left in Europe but many papers went with the story that United had beaten Bristol Rovers 1-0 in the league cup or some such.

Yes, it's a pretty famous story. One of those 'You'll always remember where you were when you first heard it ones. Below John Kennedy's assassination, Lennon's murder, who shot JR, Princess Di's death, Man Utd being relegated in 1974,Man Utd being relegated in '37 (oh how we laughed at that one!), the sinking of the Titanic, Man Utd being relegated in 1931, the cancellation of Star Trek original series, Newton Heath being relegated in 1894, the distinct possibility of a one of the ends at Maine Road being named after Colin Bell, learning that Franny Lee truly was a womble, but well above the one when Father Christmas (famously) changed his wardrobe from green to red.

:D
well it is round our way.

so you have both a superiority complex and a minority complex. christ!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Dec 2015, 12:09

That would be 1969-70 which is the same year Celtic were runners up in the European cup
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Dec 2015, 12:40

Arsenal won the Fairs City cup
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 10 Dec 2015, 14:25

John aka Josh wrote:

I was sat on my grandfather's knee, carefully peeling off some toffee encrusted from his dogtoothed waistcoat (whippets, as you ask. He used to keep them under his flat cap). "Listen boy," he said - he never was good with names - "Manchester City have only just gone and got through to the quarter final of the cup winner's cup by narrowly beating Koninklijke Lierse Sportkring eight nil on aggregate, and let me say, after only beating them by three goals to nil in the first leg, away from home it was a real doubt that they would be able to hold on at home - you know what the weather can be like in Manchester, real muslim stuff, makes all the difference - well, they've only just done it like, and, you know what, you know what," he spluttered, spattering my pale blue painted cheeks with some really nasty, bitter mint flavoured spittle,

"Yes I do, it's a card game with shapes and numbers and it's second in fun only to learning that ManUre have lost," I interjected (he made me clean it up later).

"Nay lad, hold onto your horses, come back here, come back here, you haven't got any bleedin' horses, they've only gone and ignored the City again because those spawny journalists think those jammy bastards united winning a league cup replay game against Brian Clough's Derby County one feckin nil is more important. Blooming Brian Kidd fluked it - he'll never amount to much, thank God we didn't sign him - more important than City being the only Engerlish club in European football! I ask you what," he articulated with the precision of an oil sheik drilling a whore.

"Oh," I said, "matter of fact, what did you mean by muslim weather?"

"Well, here in Manchester it's always sunny or she-ite."

Never forgotten it.

:lol:

I do remember where I was when they were relegated to the third tier of English football in 1998 - with a very disgruntled City supporting mate drowning his sorrows in a Hong Kong bar :lol:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Dec 2015, 16:10

I see City fans have come disguised as blue chairs again for today's visit of Swansea :lol:

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Feb 2016, 07:23

They were the best of two pretty poor sides, it must be said.

If those two teams are two of the bst in the EPL, we're fucked.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Feb 2016, 10:02

I couldn't watch the game as it wasn't shown in Hong Kong but surprisingly they did have full commentary on the World Service so listened to that. It didn't seem like either team played well and Mignolet had his obligatory howler but City had the best chances. The ref was poor too by the sound of it. I did think Liverpool would win the shootout as they usually do. Damn you Caballero :x

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Feb 2016, 10:05

Diamond Dog wrote:

City may be one of the best, and on paper they should be THE best, but not Liverpool. They are mid-table for a good reason.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 29 Feb 2016, 14:43

trans-chigley express wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

City may be one of the best, and on paper they should be THE best, but not Liverpool. They are mid-table for a good reason.

City have got some great individuals, but they're not really a great team, are they? Several of their star players often seem to be playing for themselves.
Mind you, I think if Klopp gets two or three years at the job, he will make one of the Puddle. Very impressed by him.

I was going to go on at length, but best take it to the EPL thread
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 22 Feb 2017, 16:14

You think the city team will be completely different come the start of the new season? I can see a lot of players going.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Feb 2017, 10:20

Interestingly, going back to the discussion back in 2015 about United being knocked out of the group stage being the bigger story - well I think City are probably now the most senior Premiership team in terms of prestige in the Champions League. United haven't been it for a while, Arsenal always get knocked out at the last 16, Chelsea aren't in it and Spurs can't even qualify for the knock out stages. Having reached the semis last season, whilst I think a semi appearance may be beyond them this season because of their terrible defence, they are now entering that moment where they are expected to make the Quarters at least.

Return to “Sporting Life”