The Reading FC Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Spec

Re: The Reading FC Thread

Postby Spec » 12 Jan 2013, 17:50

That is the sort of result which can change a season. The performances of the last few weeks should give them a lot more confidence. With the exception of Villa unfortunately other teams down there are also starting to improve.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Jan 2013, 19:34

Spec wrote:That is the sort of result which can change a season. The performances of the last few weeks should give them a lot more confidence. With the exception of Villa unfortunately other teams down there are also starting to improve.

I hope so. And yes, they have noticeably been growing in confidence. To be honest, I thought from the start and still think that all they need to do is put together back to back wins and they could turn it round. It seems that the sole fact of there being a bit of transfer window activity (however ineffectual the actual players turn out to be) has also boosted them slightly.
Just imagine what they could do if they played for more than a 10th of the game! What a thrilling result.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Jan 2013, 19:46

Amazing that. :o

Last season we had a similar game where we were 2 down against Bristol City and scored 3 in the last 18 mins - that comeback was a bit of a season-changer because we know what happened next...

Apparently we were outclassed for the 1st 80 mins today (I'll make my own judgement on that later as the whole game is being shown on Sky) so let's not get carried away but it won't half give the team a lift.

Apollo's Frock

Postby Apollo's Frock » 12 Jan 2013, 20:04

Lord Rother wrote:Amazing that. :o

Last season we had a similar game where we were 2 down against Bristol City and scored 3 in the last 18 mins - that comeback was a bit of a season-changer because we know what happened next...

Apparently we were outclassed for the 1st 80 mins today (I'll make my own judgement on that later as the whole game is being shown on Sky) so let's not get carried away but it won't half give the team a lift.

Yes, game of the day, 8.25pm.

Jeff Stelling advises Baggies fans to stop watching after 80 minutes.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 19 Jan 2013, 18:09

Two in a row and (probably very briefly) out of the relegation zone. Watch out Manchester!

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Jan 2013, 19:32

We are getting better all the time.

Terrific 1st half from Federici kept us in the game, 2 goals from super sub Le Fondre, decent performance from Legs and Akpan looks a player.

Still short on footballing quality but the battling qualities cannot be doubted after 2 great comebacks in a row.

Spec

Postby Spec » 19 Jan 2013, 19:58

Lord Rother wrote:We are getting better all the time.

Terrific 1st half from Federici kept us in the game, 2 goals from super sub Le Fondre, decent performance from Legs and Akpan looks a player.

Still short on footballing quality but the battling qualities cannot be doubted after 2 great comebacks in a row.

So much is about confidence at this time of the season. It will be growing with each result.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 30 Jan 2013, 21:35

I'm getting right fucking sick of the underuse of Alfie off the bench. What's the fucking point of waiting until we're 2-0 down before putting him on?
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 30 Jan 2013, 21:56

Told you! What a fucking superstar he is, would an extra 10 minutes have produced a different result? Who gives a fuck at this point in time :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 30 Jan 2013, 22:14

Amazing stuff. BBC stats showed we didn't have a single shot in the first 80 minutes.

Le Fondre doesn't score when he starts. It just seems that he is the absolutely perfect contrast to the more bludgeoning style of Roberts and Pog and is able to create and score because of that. I dunno, maybe the defenders just underestimate him / relax a fraction as he looks so unimposing compared to the other big lads and he just takes advantage of it.

It's weak I know but it's the best I can do! (But I think there is something in what I say.)

Apollo's Frock

Postby Apollo's Frock » 30 Jan 2013, 22:19

Very clumsy by Chelsea, serves them right.

In my thoughts though, Reading still go down though it would be nice if they and Saints avoided the drop.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 30 Jan 2013, 22:33

Lord Rother wrote:Amazing stuff. BBC stats showed we didn't have a single shot in the first 80 minutes.

Le Fondre doesn't score when he starts. It just seems that he is the absolutely perfect contrast to the more bludgeoning style of Roberts and Pog and is able to create and score because of that. I dunno, maybe the defenders just underestimate him / relax a fraction as he looks so unimposing compared to the other big lads and he just takes advantage of it.

It's weak I know but it's the best I can do! (But I think there is something in what I say.)

No there's something there. I'm not necessarily saying start him, but when its obvious we need his spark (we didn't have a shot in the first 80 for Christ sake) just get him out there instead of waiting for the last possible moment.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 30 Jan 2013, 23:51

I'm surprised that Reading don't play Garath McCleary more. He was Forest's player of the year last season (with good reason), and though I didn't want to see him leave, I was happy that he went to a Premier League side I actually like. But he barely features now. He's a speedy winger with good feet who can find the goal - he could worry any defence. Maybe Forest can get him back on loan, because frankly we could do with him at the moment

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Jan 2013, 00:09

Unfortunately for McCleary, for the moment McAnuff, the captain, seems untouchable.

Many fans would like to see McCleary get more time but he hasn't quite done it consistently when starting. He seems popular and has certainly got plenty of ability so I think he will get more chances in time. Probably he needs an injury to Kebe or McAnuff at the moment....

One thing with McDermott, when a player does the job required of him, he sticks with him and I think the others are doing just enough to remain regular starters at the moment. Morrison did a great job in defence when given his chance, then got injured and Pearce and Mariappa have done well so have kept Morrison out even though he's fit again.

We are getting a very useful and young squad together now and, although I still think the eventual outcome of this season is likely to be relegation, would be extremely confident in the team's potential to bounce straight back.

Thing is, the confidence gained from a few positive results, as achieved by both QPR and Reading of late can be a massive factor. Compare that to the mood at clubs like Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, West Ham and Wigan who are all really struggling to win a game...

Oh well, long long way to go yet....

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 31 Jan 2013, 00:34

I've been impressed by Jimmy Kebe. How's he regarded by the fans?

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 31 Jan 2013, 05:42

The man is wonderful. Especially for the fact he came out and openly discussed how shit we were late last year with honesty and no bullshit excuses.

His tweet about joining Newcastle was also great too :lol:

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Jan 2013, 13:51

He's quite refreshing in that he (almost) never gives interviews.

He could be clear MOTM on a Sky game but he wouldn't come out and talk to TV. It's not like he has a speech impediment, or doesn't talk the language as, on the day of our promotion last season, he did speak to local radio for a minute perfectly lucidly, it just seems it's something he doesn't do normally.

Although some of his ridiculously fast sprints from box to box that we are used to seeing are snuffed out by PL defenders, he has added the ability to head and defend in the last year, both of which were noticeably absent from his game in the past.

Bit of a cult hero.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Feb 2013, 19:36

Another very good win against Sunderland, both goals scored by our very own cult hero, another one off his bonce.

Interesting to note that when 'Arry arrived at QPR they were 6 points away from safety, and now they are...?? 6 points away from safety.

Came across this - as a Reading fan I found it quite enjoyable!

http://thegamesgonecrazier.blogspot.co. ... y.html?m=1

Homely Reading Show Big Spending QPR The Way

Oh dear, what a shame. QPR sacked Warnock, then Hughes, spent a small fortune, then a bigger fortune, then a bigger fortune still, and Reading stuck with McDermott and spent, well peanuts. When 'Arry breezed in to Loftus Road with an open cheque book QPR and Reading were neck and neck in the race for bottom spot, now Reading sit outside the bottom three and the Hula Hoops are six points adrift of safety, firmly rooted to the foot of the table.

Today's game against clueless Norwich had Must Win written all over it for the Mercenaries In The Bush, but Taarabt fluffed his lines, fluffed a penalty, and yet another game slipped by without a victory. QPR can draw every remaining game between now and the end of the season and they will still end up with just 30 points. 'Arry knows how to get the draws, but the crucial wins are proving just as elusive as under Hughes.

And still better, big money signing Loic Remy has torn a groin muscle. Serves the big spending twats running the club right! Most fans, myself included, had a soft spot for Rangers before Fernandes came in and started boasting about his wad. Well it seems size really doesn't matter, it's what you do with it in the Bush that counts! Just 17,000 watched today's game and it is absurd that with gates like that, QPR have been chucking around money like a lottery winner on speed. All affection for the club has evaporated and, outside of the Bush, you will struggle to find a football fan who doesn't hope that QPR get what they richly deserve.

Meanwhile, Reading and the ever so decent Brian McDermott have rolled up their sleeves and rolled over a number of opponents. Just goes to show that the old Royals have more class than the new money upstarts doesn't it?

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 03 Feb 2013, 19:48

However cheap, some of the signings have been superb - when Akpan turns it on he is a revelation. For a few hundred grand from Crawley, he is looking a very shrewd buy.
Plus, the 'Brian Out' boo boys have shut the fuck up for the moment, which is a bonus.
One loss, two draws and four wins from the last seven league games.
I am delighted to be a Reading fan at the moment: we will stay up or go down with dignity and are winning a lot of friends and admirers in the process. Long may that last.

Spec

Postby Spec » 03 Feb 2013, 19:58

Nikki Gradual wrote:However cheap, some of the signings have been superb - when Akpan turns it on he is a revelation. For a few hundred grand from Crawley, he is looking a very shrewd buy.
Plus, the 'Brian Out' boo boys have shut the fuck up for the moment, which is a bonus.
One loss, two draws and four wins from the last seven league games.
I am delighted to be a Reading fan at the moment: we will stay up or go down with dignity and are winning a lot of friends and admirers in the process. Long may that last.

The last bit of that is key. Neutrals want QPR to go down, many would be pleased to see Reading stay up.

I like that there is a little bit of depth in the team now - a few options, a bit of experience to go with some of the youngsters. Four strikers for example. A keeper who has rediscovered his confidence and high quality performances from last year. And a defence that is a vast improvement from the shambles of the first half of the season. Long may it continue.

Return to “Sporting Life”