The all new Arsenal thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
User avatar
borofan
Posts: 3119
Joined: 29 Jul 2003, 21:17
Location: Lost in translation

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby borofan » 29 Apr 2018, 17:44

Lord Rother wrote:And yes, the Wolves Manager is a bit of a dick. Sadly it appears that most football managers are these days.

Anybody who winds up Warnock can't be all bad... ;)
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66427
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Apr 2018, 20:20

borofan wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:And yes, the Wolves Manager is a bit of a dick. Sadly it appears that most football managers are these days.

Anybody who winds up Warnock can't be all bad... ;)



Precisely.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6046
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Apr 2018, 20:52

Well yes, you do have a point.

I’m sure everybody knows this but just in case.... He is universally known as Colin by Reading fans, his name being an anagram of Colin Wanker.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66427
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Apr 2018, 09:13

Whilst I sometimes think Souness talks a load of twaddle, he was absolutely spot on yesterday regarding Granit Xhaka's woeful display, especially around the first goal. "Pretend football" he called it and pretend football it most certainly was.

I'm afraid he is sympomatic of all that is wrong with Arsenal, and has been for the best part of a decade - a youngster given his head, whose performances never quite match the potential, and eventually settling into a nice comfy role where nothing too much is expected, and even less delivered.

They need a Simeone - someone who will wake them out of their slumber and make them feel threatened and uncomfortable around their continued selection. It's just become all too easy at Arsenal, and they're getting fuck all in terms of challenging it on the pitch, let alone from the managerial team.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 30 Apr 2018, 09:51, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6046
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Lord Rother » 30 Apr 2018, 09:19

Luis Enrique would also get stuck in. His way or no way apparently.

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8499
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Pansy Puff » 03 May 2018, 21:20

Bellerin is fucking dreadful.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66427
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 May 2018, 21:46

K wrote:Bellerin is fucking dreadful.


Diamond Dog wrote:I'm afraid he is sympomatic of all that is wrong with Arsenal, and has been for the best part of a decade - a youngster given his head, whose performances never quite match the potential, and eventually settling into a nice comfy role where nothing too much is expected, and even less delivered.

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8499
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Pansy Puff » 03 May 2018, 21:50

You could be talking about Gash if you replace Arsenal with BCB.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14426
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 04 May 2018, 00:33

Maybe it's the manager who hasn't been able to get the best out of his players.
king of the divan

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66427
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 May 2018, 05:41

mentalist (slight return) wrote:Maybe it's the manager who hasn't been able to get the best out of his players.


Diamond Dog wrote:They need a Simeone - someone who will wake them out of their slumber and make them feel threatened and uncomfortable around their continued selection. It's just become all too easy at Arsenal, and they're getting fuck all in terms of challenging it on the pitch, let alone from the managerial team.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14426
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 04 May 2018, 07:29

Diamond Dog wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote:Maybe it's the manager who hasn't been able to get the best out of his players.


Diamond Dog wrote:They need a Simeone - someone who will wake them out of their slumber and make them feel threatened and uncomfortable around their continued selection. It's just become all too easy at Arsenal, and they're getting fuck all in terms of challenging it on the pitch, let alone from the managerial team.

There you go. Don't often visit this thread. I remember reading somewhere someone suggesting they needed more of a coach than a manager this time around and that Arsene didn't spend enough time coaching the players on the training ground. Something like that.
king of the divan

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8499
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Pansy Puff » 04 May 2018, 07:46

Certainly both Bellarin and Monreal need coaching in how to cross the bloody ball!
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66427
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 04 May 2018, 10:11

Ozil is the classic Wenger player.

We all know he's a fine player - we've seen it at Madrid & with Germany.

But he has consistently under-achieved at Arsenal - until his contract was up, where he surprisingly started playing like the seasoned international we all know he is.

As soon as the contract gets signed - he's back to type. He hasn't been seen for nearly four months now - yet he's picked every single time, without fail. £300k per week for sweet fuck all.

That is the Arsenal problem, right there.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13006
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Rayge » 15 May 2018, 14:39

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8499
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Pansy Puff » 15 May 2018, 15:47


I just came here to post that. Probably Squires' best ever.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23146
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Toby » 15 May 2018, 21:13

Arteta close to being announced as the new manager.

A bold move and I think a good one. He's obviously talented and has a strong connection with the club.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Dr Markus » 15 May 2018, 21:18

I don't know. Think i would've gone with experience.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66427
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 May 2018, 21:56

Toby wrote:Arteta close to being announced as the new manager.

A bold move and I think a good one. He's obviously talented and has a strong connection with the club.


Here's something about Arteta that may worry me.

You know when Guardiola was sent to the stands earlier in the season (I think against Man Utd)?

Did you notice how not one person from the coaching staff, including Arteta, made the decision to become 'the man' for the rest of the game and actually get up from the bench and take their place in the technical area? Not one of them - not once. Effectively, to the players, Man City were 'leaderless' for the remainder of the match. And to the opposition players and coaching staff too. And the officials.

Would I want a man, who is clearly the second in command, not stepping up and fulfilling the role in those circumstances as a manager of my football club?

No, somehow I don't think I would.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Dr Markus » 17 May 2018, 13:02

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11375377/arsenal-to-hold-talks-with-mikel-arteta-over-managers-job

Former Gunners midfielder Arteta is the leading candidate to succeed Arsene Wenger and if appointed, he would be handed a transfer budget in the region of £50m this summer.


Only 50 million? isn't the new stadium paid off by now?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66427
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2018, 08:42

Dr Markus wrote:http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11375377/arsenal-to-hold-talks-with-mikel-arteta-over-managers-job

Former Gunners midfielder Arteta is the leading candidate to succeed Arsene Wenger and if appointed, he would be handed a transfer budget in the region of £50m this summer.


Only 50 million? isn't the new stadium paid off by now?


That's the third time that figure has been reported by different sources. It's a joke if it's correct. They could put a 2 in front of the 5 and they'd still not be challenging for the title.