The all new Arsenal thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Feb 2017, 16:56

Diamond Dog wrote:Good to see Mark Clattenburg doing his bit for the "Sky 6" again this weekend...... blatant handball by Sanchez to score the first goal, and only a booking for Gibbs for just about the clearest example of "preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity" you're likely to see for many a year... well done that man, well done.

Maybe he was distracted....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/389 ... name=sport

:roll:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Feb 2017, 16:59

Toby wrote: And I can't see Simeone leaving AM because that feels like a step down.

Fuck I hope he doesn't come over, it will be all about him and he will just act the cunt.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Postby ... » 17 Feb 2017, 12:45

The Great Defector wrote:
Toby wrote: And I can't see Simeone leaving AM because that feels like a step down.

Fuck I hope he doesn't come over, it will be all about him and he will just act the cunt.

Simeone is about to start posting on BCB? From what you've said above, it sounds like he'll fit right in

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Feb 2017, 13:06

"No matter what happens I will manage for another season. Whether it's here or somewhere else, that is for sure," Wenger said on Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39001868
Cocaine

Postby ... » 17 Feb 2017, 13:30

Diamond Dog wrote:"No matter what happens I will manage for another season. Whether it's here or somewhere else, that is for sure," Wenger said on Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39001868

With 10 points separating them from safety and relegation to Division 4 (or whatever its called nowadays) and only something like 15 games to play, Coventry City will almost certainly be looking for a new manager come May.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Feb 2017, 13:48

Doesn't quite deserve a thread on it's own, so....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39037401

Sutton v Arsenal: Wayne Shaw's pie-eating investigated by FA & Gambling Commission

:lol:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Mar 2017, 14:47

That was truly abysmal against West Brom.
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Mar 2017, 16:27

The occasional poor performance can be forgiven of course but there can be no doubt to anyone watching this team recently that massive change is needed.

That squad with that management team and backroom staff may not ALL need to go but as a group of people trying to win together they are finished.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Mar 2017, 14:29

It's not beyond the realms that they could recover and finish top four - but I don't really see it.

I remember a conversation The Slider and I had in Barcelona (must be ten years ago now) where we were both saying they've never replaced Vieira's competitiveness and were lacking leadership skills all over. In the time since, Wenger has never once sought to redress those failings - indeed, he seems to delight in not doing so. He doesn't think it's necessary (Guardiola is very much of the same opinion). The problem is, ten years ago they were in with a chance of winning league titles - now they're challenging for the top four and may fall out of that this season. Nothing is really being done to improve the team - and they aren't even playing the great football they were once (rightly) lauded for.

I think he should go - I found myself feeling oddly sad at their demise over the weekend. It's sad when a club who were previously very much an example of most that was good in football have become a mess. And they are a mess - and only heading one way.

Who they get to replace him will have an almighty job when he finally does leave - but, unlike with Ferguson, they won;t be taking over a winning team. Not if it's next year, or three-four years time. His time is over I'm afraid.

What I am worried about is I think the replacement may well be our manager.....
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Mar 2017, 16:11

He put aesthetics over practicality but now even his former emphasis isn't delivering the goods.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Mar 2017, 18:32

Seeing as there's not all THAT much difference between the Top 6 sides these days, NOT competing in Europe may we'll become the biggest single advantage any team can have when it comes to pushing for Premier League success.

Arsenal should now focus on finishing 7th....

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Mar 2017, 10:35

The problem is, deep down, that Arsenal were briefly able to shine at a truly exceptional level because they had Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp, Henry, Ashley Cole et al. For a brief period between 2002 and 2005, they should really have won, or at least competed at the highest level for the Champions League given the quality in their team. That side would clean up now in the Premiership without doubt. What I'm trying to say perhaps is that Arsenal performed at a level beyond them nowadays because of circumstance and it is rare for any manager to be able to repeat that. Jonathan Wilson talks about a "10 year" period for virtually all great managers where they shine and after that it never gets better. Ferguson is the exception to that rule, but I would also suggest that his success was partly predicated on Manchester United's supreme financial power in the nineties. Once City and Chelsea started wielding the cash, United sunk to the levels of their competitors.

Those players moved on, and sometimes it is easy to say "well you should just replace them" but it is blazingly obvious that given the way the club is run on a financial basis, the most pressing need was to pay for the new stadium. And in all honesty, it is very difficult to replace a player like Vieira, who was obviously world-class. Name me one other player in the world right now with his quality? Maybe Kante? They come along once in a generation and Wenger was in the right place and time to buy him, just like Pires and Henry. The stars were aligned for him in a way that doesn't come around very often.

Now they have a side that, on its day can battle for a Top 4 place but clearly don't have the frame of mind for a title race. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the summer.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Mar 2017, 10:38

Obviously he made some very canny signings but was lucky that he inherited that defence and Bergkamp.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 Mar 2017, 10:50

Lord Rother wrote:Seeing as there's not all THAT much difference between the Top 6 sides these days, NOT competing in Europe may we'll become the biggest single advantage any team can have when it comes to pushing for Premier League success.

Arsenal should now focus on finishing 7th....

With Man U having won the League Cup and the other three semi-finalists in the FA Cup being top four sides, only 8th will guarantee no European competition next season
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Mar 2017, 15:27

Toby wrote:The problem is, deep down, that Arsenal were briefly able to shine at a truly exceptional level because they had Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp, Henry, Ashley Cole et al. For a brief period between 2002 and 2005, they should really have won, or at least competed at the highest level for the Champions League given the quality in their team. That side would clean up now in the Premiership without doubt. What I'm trying to say perhaps is that Arsenal performed at a level beyond them nowadays because of circumstance and it is rare for any manager to be able to repeat that.

Actually reading between the lines what you're saying is Arsenal should have won a Champions League in those years - and they didn't. Maybe Wenger actually under achieved with that squad, on reflection?
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 11 Apr 2017, 16:42

I'm not an Arsenal fan, but even I want to see him go now.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Apr 2017, 13:27

If they don't qualify for the Champions League then I think he'll go of his own accord.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Apr 2017, 14:45

Agreed

Postby ... » 12 Apr 2017, 16:04

Toby wrote:
If they don't qualify for the Champions League then I think he'll go of his own accord.

To Jamaica maybe?

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Apr 2017, 16:06

Arsenal have a propensity for creating "will he won't he" stories of Herculean proportions (see transfer issues over Henry & Cole) so I'm sure this one will go on and on too..

Return to “Sporting Life”