The all new Arsenal thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Penk! » 05 Jan 2018, 14:41

Toby wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:Before Abramovic appeared on the scene Chelsea were of little consequence

Not strictly true. They were definitely ascending from the mid-90s onwards, what with Hoddle, Gullit, Zola, Vialli and Desailly

... playing alongside Jody Morris, Eddie Newton and Frank Sinclair!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Jan 2018, 02:05

Toby wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:Before Abramovic appeared on the scene Chelsea were of little consequence

Not strictly true. They were definitely ascending from the mid-90s onwards, what with Hoddle, Gullit, Zola, Vialli and Desailly. They would probably be the equivalent of what Spurs are now, but the arrival of Abramovich catapulted them into the big spending zone.

Yeah, I guess I underestimated a bit as they were signs of an ascendency but the arrival of Abramovic certainly catapulted them into serious rivals

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 14 Jan 2018, 18:40

A massive rebuild of the first team and squad is required. In terms of players who can feasibly be regulars over the next few years I'd say we only have half a dozen - Bellerin, Kolasinac, possibly Mustafi, Wilshere, Ramsey, (possibly) Lacazette and that's it. The rest are either not good enough or are on the way out after being very good (Kolscielny, Monreal, Czech). I'm discounting Ozil and Sanchez as they won't be here next season (Sanchez probably won't be here next week) and not counting some of the youngsters (Nielson, Maitland-Niles) who look promising, but it's too early to make a call on them.
That is a huge rebuild to have to undertake and it needs a new manager to do it.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jan 2018, 00:36

That manager is likely to be Ancelotti, who's not really known as a team builder.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Mar 2018, 20:18

The Modernist wrote:That manager is likely to be Ancelotti, who's not really known as a team builder.

Will he be there by the end of this week, I wonder?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Mar 2018, 20:27

Wenger giving pep a telling off before the match?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Mar 2018, 20:35

The Great Defector wrote:Wenger giving pep a telling off before the match?

You really think Guardiola would just stand there and say nothing if Wenger was giving him a bollocking? You listen to Martin Tyler and the Sky team too much.

Still, it will be great on "The Debate" later. :roll:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Mar 2018, 23:27

The type of snow favoured City.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Mar 2018, 04:23

The Modernist wrote:The type of snow favoured City.

:lol:

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 04 Mar 2018, 13:57

Jesus Christ. Did you see Brighton's second goal just then? They've given up, haven't they?

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 Mar 2018, 14:02

Yeah they have. No pressing, defensive woes, no real desire whatsoever.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 04 Mar 2018, 14:59

Looks like Wenger is so desperate to save his job, he went in and bought the referee at half time. How in the world he can book Stephens five minutes ago for absolutely nothing, then let Kolasinac off scot-free for shoulder-charging someone in the face I do not know. Isn't this the same ref who once gave Reading a goal for shooting into the side-netting?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Mar 2018, 15:16

A friend of mine studied with the current arsenal trainer according to him.He said the arsenal players are lazy as fuck and just wants to play with ball. Also there's cliques by languages.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2018, 18:38

Dr Markus wrote:A friend of mine studied with the current arsenal trainer according to him.He said the arsenal players are lazy as fuck and just wants to play with ball. Also there's cliques by languages.

A friend of a friend of a friend..sorry I smell bullshit.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Mar 2018, 18:39

Ok

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Mar 2018, 18:41

It's the end though, there's no doubt about that. It's a shame it had to come to this, but I guess Wenger was always going to have to be pushed.
I would expect an an announcement on his future to be made before the season is out. Hopefully they will have learned something from last season and not let the speculation drag on all season like last season.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Mar 2018, 06:09

The Modernist wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:A friend of mine studied with the current arsenal trainer according to him.He said the arsenal players are lazy as fuck and just wants to play with ball. Also there's cliques by languages.

A friend of a friend of a friend..sorry I smell bullshit.

Someone had to say it.

Who is the "current Arsenal trainer" one wonders (does such a post exist ?!).
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Mar 2018, 07:28

Diamond Dog wrote:Who is the "current Arsenal trainer" one wonders?

Arsene Wenger.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Mar 2018, 08:36

PENK wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Who is the "current Arsenal trainer" one wonders?

Arsene Wenger.

:)

When I took my FA Coaching Badge (about 8 years ago, incredibly) the tutor was a guy called Mark Jones (I believe he's now the youth/U21 manager at Watford). He had a very close link with a couple of the Arsenal players at the time and told us that ,during his time at Arsenal, Wenger had completely flipped on the requirements of the scouting at the club - when he arrived, he was insistent on having technically great youngsters signed up. This had changed completely over the years to recruiting great athletes/physical specimens, even if they weren't great footballers. The thinking was that you can 'coach' great athletes to become great footballers , but if the athlete isn't there in a great footballer, you can't 'coach' that. Which is incredible, but apparently that was the way Arsenal's recruiting had changed.

I think this explains a great deal about Arsenal's recent demise - and runs contrary to the idea that the players are 'lazy as fuck' because you'd think that would be the one thing Wenger would be insistent on (considering the emphasis on fitness etc in scouting).
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Mar 2018, 01:08

There's rumours going around that the players were unhappy with the coaching drills in preparation for the Man City game which just focused on punishing fitness work, whereas they wanted more tactical and ball work.

Return to “Sporting Life”