The all new Arsenal thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Darkness_Fish

Re: The all new Arsenal thread

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Aug 2017, 21:10

I loved Gary Neville's line that he was disappointed Ramsey was taken off at half-time, he wanted to give him man of the match just so he could do the post-match interview. Liverpool were excellent, but it's almost sad to see Arsenal with such a bunch of half-arsed chancers. Only Cech could hold his head up high after that performance. Shameful.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2017, 09:22

Toby wrote:There is a sense of the decline of the last few years becoming more acute but also that Arsenal simply don't know how to cope with Liverpool. I'm sure that when the Premier League restarts, they'll put together a good run like they always do, but being part of the Champions League looks more and more distant.

It's not just Liverpool though. the decline is across the board. They occasionally play great football but it's very rare these days - they muddle on and get enough results for the Top six, but they are several light years away from the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea (and Spurs, I think). Liverpool clearly are close to joining that top four, but Arsenal are getting further away. Indeed, they may not even make the top six this season.

Their transfer policy is a complete mess (Ozil, Sanchez and Oxlade-Chamberlain all winding down the last year of their contracts - wtf) the selection of players is a complete mess (not playing Lacazette yesterday - what's that all about), the players in bizarre positions (Bellerin at left wing back - jeez) and the manager seemingly incapable of inspiring the team to even play with a bit of pride.

They're in a desperate state. They really do need to change course quickly, otherwise their decline may become irreversible.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Aug 2017, 09:48

I'm not sure it's quite that bad but I'd agree with the assessment that they are now a top 6 side than a top 4. MOTD offered the statistic that they have won just 2 games against the other top 6 teams in the last 3/4 seasons which backs it up, although I thought they were excellent against Chelsea in the FA Cup Final.

It is difficult to see Wenger lasting another season but the notion of succession when the current incumbent has so shaped the club's destiny over the last 2 decades must be very worrying to the board.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2017, 10:08

The longer they leave it the more the rot will set in. They have to act decisively now - they're going to keep losing the decent players they have and will struggle to attract others that can make a difference.
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Aug 2017, 10:16

Awful record against the top teams….check
Dodgy tactics…check
Dodgy transfer policy…check
Lack of pride and leadership on the pitch….check

It’s sad because Wenger has created some real magic at that club but really it’s time to go I'm afraid.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Aug 2017, 12:09

Since boxing was the main theme of the weekend I have to go with Wenger looks like a punch drunk boxer who still thinks he has it, when he simply doesn't. Time to go.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Aug 2017, 12:19

It's all so bloody boring now.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Aug 2017, 16:09

Toby wrote:

It is difficult to see Wenger lasting another season but the notion of succession when the current incumbent has so shaped the club's destiny over the last 2 decades must be very worrying to the board.

Well it shouldn't be. Appointing new managers is something every other club in world football manages to do and Arsenal will have better choices than most.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Aug 2017, 16:12

It's different though when you're succeeding a 20 year dynasty. Wenger's shadow will be long, but the club is rich and well placed geographically to have a good choice. In the short term I'm struggling to see who though - maybe Ancelotti if his Bayern sojourn doesn't last.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Aug 2017, 16:21

The thing is there's no real nice fully respectful way of *tapping your watch* and saying "Time to go big lad".
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2017, 16:30

Toby wrote:It's different though when you're succeeding a 20 year dynasty. Wenger's shadow will be long, but the club is rich and well placed geographically to have a good choice. In the short term I'm struggling to see who though - maybe Ancelotti if his Bayern sojourn doesn't last.

I refuse to believe there are only three or four managers capable of managing one of the 'bigger clubs' in the game. It seems this elite club of Ancelotti,Mourinho and Guardiola are the answer to everything.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Aug 2017, 16:48

Toby wrote:It's different though when you're succeeding a 20 year dynasty.

I'm not sure why it should be to be honest. It might be different if the new manager was following a highly successful one like Ferguson, but that's not the case here. The irony is that Wenger will leave little in the way of infrastructure as he was useless at delegating or spreading responsibility among others. Beyond a vague commitment to attractive football, there won't be much legacy at all.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Aug 2017, 16:51

The Great Defector wrote:The thing is there's no real nice fully respectful way of *tapping your watch* and saying "Time to go big lad".

They didn't even have to do that. His contract ran out in June. All they had to do was not renew it. Easy.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 29 Aug 2017, 09:53

David Moyes must be chomping at the bit.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Aug 2017, 12:10

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:The thing is there's no real nice fully respectful way of *tapping your watch* and saying "Time to go big lad".

They didn't even have to do that. His contract ran out in June. All they had to do was not renew it. Easy.

I don't know, the guy gave you over 20 years. It would have been tough for that reason alone and more importantly (to them) near enough champions league money.

I'm watching the debate on sky sports, (better show that I thought it would be) and the one theme that keeps coming up with former arsenal players that played under him was that he does not delegate. He wants to control EVERYTHING. I think it was wright that said he has steve bould on the bench, with his rep he should be able to sort out that defense. He thinks that Bould has to bite his tongue sometimes because Wenger probably takes over and undermines him. Henry said the same about not being able to delegate. I think that's one of the main reasons he's in the place he is, maybe not open to new ideas.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Aug 2017, 12:21

Ahem.

The Modernist wrote:The irony is that Wenger will leave little in the way of infrastructure as he was useless at delegating or spreading responsibility among others.
Cocaine

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 29 Aug 2017, 13:54

I won't have got this word for word but I heard a football journalist on the radio this morning say that Arsenal has become 'a crèche for the weak and cowardly' (more or less).
Nothing particularly new there but painful to hear when put so starkly.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Aug 2017, 18:16

The Great Defector wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

I don't know, the guy gave you over 20 years. It would have been tough for that reason alone and more importantly (to them) near enough champions league money.

I'm watching the debate on sky sports, (better show that I thought it would be) and the one theme that keeps coming up with former arsenal players that played under him was that he does not delegate. He wants to control EVERYTHING. I think it was wright that said he has steve bould on the bench, with his rep he should be able to sort out that defense. He thinks that Bould has to bite his tongue sometimes because Wenger probably takes over and undermines him. Henry said the same about not being able to delegate. I think that's one of the main reasons he's in the place he is, maybe not open to new ideas.

Of course, but these criticisms have been known for years.
I don't think it was a tough decision to make, it was the obvious one. But we have an absentee owner for whom it is easier to do nothing. Three of the board did, apparently, want a change of manager, but Kroenke didn't so there was nothing they could do. As a compromise solution Gazadis wanted to appoint a Director of Football, but he was thwarted even in this.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Aug 2017, 18:19

True, it's gonna be headline news all season. While arsenal owe Wenger respect for all that he has done, I think there's a bit of responsibility on his side to do what's right for the club that has supported him for 20 years and step down.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Aug 2017, 18:26

The Great Defector wrote:True, it's gonna be headline news all season. While arsenal owe Wenger respect for all that he has done, I think there's a bit of responsibility on his side to do what's right for the club that has supported him for 20 years and step down.

"I don't see it".

Return to “Sporting Life”