The Championship

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

The Championship

Postby Leg of lamb » 13 Mar 2011, 17:27

I know there are some Boro fans here - anyone else got an interest in how this year's Championship pans out?

I'm a Cardiff fan. They're giving me a dicky heart at the moment, let me tell you. It's bizarre - apart from QPR, nobody seems to want to go up. Well, either that or they're all soiling their knickers at the prospect. We've just thrown away two one-goal leads at home to Barnsley to stay firmly rooted in fourth. Given that we've had a majestic return of 1 point from a possible 9 this week (and all against opposition from the lower half of the table) we should really be out of the playoff places by now. But everyone else around us keeps obliging with similarly iffy results.

For what it's worth, here are my predictions:

1. QPR (assuming they don't get docked points, even then they might sneak 2nd!)
2. Notts Forest
3. Swansea (half wishful thinking that they'll drop out of the automatics, but they're on as bad a drift as Cardiff right now)
4. Leeds
5. Cardiff
6. Burnley

Knowing my luck, this will jinx Cardiff into plummeting downwards and out of the playoffs. Nothing more than we deserve, at the moment, I have to say - but I reckon we'll do enough. Burnley have had some upward momentum until their 0-3 reversal at home to Millwall yesterday. They've got games in hand on most above them, though, so I think they'll be one of those late-dash teams. Notts Forest have enough quality to get back on target, I think, and Norwich are the least gifted of the teams in promotion spots right now, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they'll slide. Might have to reconsider if they win against Bristol City tomorrow night, though.

Anyway, I'm sure no one cares :D But I needed to vent after Cardiff once again pissed points away.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Thesiger

Re: The Championship

Postby Thesiger » 13 Mar 2011, 20:19

I see you don't list Norwich, although they have a game in hand on all the others and are already third. Norwich also have the easiest run in, by some considerable way.

Nothing personal, but I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Cardiff slipped out of the places. They peaked too early (and that Bellamy transfer still looks a bit fishy). They also have that recollection that they bottled it last year too.

To my mind, Burnley and Hull won't do it (even if they reach the play-offs), since they 'know' that they're not really good enough for the Premiership. Same goes for Pompey.

Burnley could play a big part in deciding things since their last two matches are Leeds and Cardiff.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 13 Mar 2011, 21:19

You lost me at "I'm a Cardiff fan".

Reading are doomed to just miss the play-offs again. Hey-ho, it's better than relegation.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 13 Mar 2011, 21:24

Well we're 6 points adrift of playoffs at the moment, I still hold a hope of making them given our current run of form, but Nikki's assessment is probably the correct one.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 13 Mar 2011, 23:27

Thesiger wrote:I see you don't list Norwich, although they have a game in hand on all the others and are already third. Norwich also have the easiest run in, by some considerable way.

Nothing personal, but I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Cardiff slipped out of the places. They peaked too early (and that Bellamy transfer still looks a bit fishy). They also have that recollection that they bottled it last year too.

To my mind, Burnley and Hull won't do it (even if they reach the play-offs), since they 'know' that they're not really good enough for the Premiership. Same goes for Pompey.

Burnley could play a big part in deciding things since their last two matches are Leeds and Cardiff.

As I said, I think Norwich are a decent team who've been on a really good run. On paper, though, compared with Notts Forest, Cardiff, Swansea and Leeds, I think they're the weakest. You're right, though - and as I said, if they beat Bristol City tomorrow (as they should) then I think I should revise my earlier predictions. Which were made in high dudgeon after being held by Barnsley :)

I'm with you - Cardiff have everything to lose, huge expectations to manage and the ghost of the last three seasons ganging up behind us. I can easily see us slipping out. More than the disappointment of missing out on promotion again, I fear that happening because of the exodus that would happen. Jones would go, as would our galactico frontline. I think we're very overrated, but we're not bad and we've evolved slowly over time. If everyone just withdraws then we could really be in the soup.
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 14 Mar 2011, 13:11

To be honest, I tend to look at the bottom of the championship more closely than the top because I'm interested in who Hartlepool will be playing next season.

We've had some interesting relegations recently...Charlton, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Leeds...and this season we will probably see Sheff United relegated.

Unfortunately Boro have picked up a few points recently. It would be great if they joined us in league one.
The Dríver wrote:We even have village idiots.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 14 Mar 2011, 13:48

Speaking of romotions and relegations, it is not out of the question that Southampton, Portsmouth, Brighton, Reading, and Bournemouth could all be in the Championship next season. This would give a very intersting South Coast flavour to a division too often full of northern teams, with long distance travel the norm for away fans.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 14 Mar 2011, 13:51

I think Brighton and Southampton will go up.

Not sure about Bournemouth, they have been wobbling recently.

Owen
definitely not Travolta

Postby Owen » 14 Mar 2011, 20:04

I almost think it must be Cardiff's year. The Jacks game apart I can't remember the last time I saw a decent result from them yet they are still there. Nobody wants it at all.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 15 Mar 2011, 11:46

Well, looks like Norwich are in a strong position now. I still think second spot is there for the taking, and that the team currently in the top 6 that has the best run of form from here will take it. I just doubt it'll be my lot. My best hope is that the status quo is maintained and we at least scrap it through to the playoffs. But yeah, if anyone's gonna slide and be replaced by a last-minute Blackpool-esque team, then it'll most likely be us. Wouldn't rule out Leicester, actually, who are much improved under the aegis of Sven and have a testing but doable run in - lots of midtable teams who might very soon be playing out dead rubbers.

Big game at the foot of the Championship tonight. If Scunthorpe can win at home to Preston then it'll give them a real fighting chance to survive and might well be a death blow to Preston.

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 15 Mar 2011, 11:57

Preston are already down.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 15 Mar 2011, 12:34

Aye, probably. Just trying to drum up some interest!

the hanging monkey
can't be arsed

Postby the hanging monkey » 15 Mar 2011, 14:29

Fair do's.

I think Sheff U are pretty much down too.

Maybe Scunny can escape but I don't hold out too much hope for them either. They MUST beat Preston.

Spec

Postby Spec » 15 Mar 2011, 16:54

The Red Heifer wrote:Well we're 6 points adrift of playoffs at the moment, I still hold a hope of making them given our current run of form, but Nikki's assessment is probably the correct one.

I can see them sneaking this though they have got a couple of tough games (Leeds and Notts Forest). I've only been half following them for a few seasons but they seem to be playing well and have a healthy goal difference.

Thesiger wrote:Speaking of romotions and relegations, it is not out of the question that Southampton, Portsmouth, Brighton, Reading, and Bournemouth could all be in the Championship next season. This would give a very intersting South Coast flavour to a division too often full of northern teams, with long distance travel the norm for away fans.

Southampton enjoyed starting so far behind last year with their points reduction so much that they didn't bother start trying until October. If they'd started 8 games earlier they would be safe and dry.

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 20 Mar 2011, 15:28

Big win for the Jacks (Swansea) against Notts Forest yesterday. And, alas, Cardiff were once again unable to protect the sort of lead that should have been a sucker punch. In a mad game against Millwall, we finally went 3-2 up with ten minutes left... and typically got pegged back in the last three.

I see Reading made advances on the playoffs with a 1-0 away win at Barnsley. Definitely fancy them to make a push - particularly if Forest, Leeds and we continue to slide.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 22 Mar 2011, 10:34

Leg of lamb wrote:I see Reading made advances on the playoffs with a 1-0 away win at Barnsley. Definitely fancy them to make a push - particularly if Forest, Leeds and we continue to slide.

Reading are certainly well placed. I'm due to take my son to see Pompey away at Reading a week on Saturday. Looking forward to that. With matches against Reading, Cardiff, Swansea, Coventry, Burnley and Norwich remaining (plus Scunthorpe and Preston), we should have a considerable influence on the play off places.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 09 Apr 2011, 19:39

What a thriller, 4-3 against Forest in extra time. Everything looks very open now, and Norwich (in the second automatic promotion place) look very vulnerable from every team currently in the play-off positions, especially the two Welsh teams. Could Reading do it? Could they? This is going to be an amazing end to the season.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 09 Apr 2011, 22:27

Knew I shouldve stayed up for th fucking game!

We've a 6 point buffer inside the top 6, 4 off Norwich, and Scunthorpe on Tuesday. I'm very excited! :D
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 10 Apr 2011, 17:20

It's certainly very exciting for the neutral. It's giving my heart gip, though.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 11 Apr 2011, 08:55

Reading look to have timed their run prefectly. And Norwich now look odds on for the second automatic place. Forest have blown it, and Millwall may not have done enough. I can't say that any of the top six look likely to prosper in the Prem, however.

Return to “Sporting Life”