The Championship

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
borofan

Re: The Championship

Postby borofan » 21 Nov 2015, 16:16

Squeaked the 3 points last night - 93rd minute penalty. Do think it's odd that a side like QPR, just down from the PL and supposedly ambitious to get back, should be so negative. But then, with Warnock and Blackwell in charge, you're not getting attacking, stylish football! We weren't great, but after the kicking we got at Hull just getting the win is a relief.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 21 Nov 2015, 17:34

Lord Rother wrote:It seems that Steve Clarke is on his way to Fulham from Reading!

After the backing he had in reshaping the squad in the close season how fucking weird is that?

Something big must have happened behind the scenes at Reading for him to even be holding talks with Fulham.

Jimmy Floyd please if he goes.

Didn't fancy it, it seems.
Couldn't see what he stood to gain from the move anyway.

Point away without a manager is good enough, even if they are bottom three.
I always liked Peter Grant as a player-never took a backward step. If he can inject some of that into our defence and midfield then he has done more than our last few managers did.
Bless the weather.......Image

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 23 Nov 2015, 14:07

So another game unbeaten for the "new invincibles" :D It seems we are going to do well this year simply by being organised and hard to beat. Hopefully we'll be in the market for a playmaker come January.

Anyway a point away at Burnley is a fair result I guess and Zamora looked the best player on the pitch.
We're way past rhubarb

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 04 Dec 2015, 10:55

Less than 3 months ago I made the posts below.... :oops:

Today Steve Clarke sacked after another rank display against QPR last night... 1st match I've been to at the Madejski for 6 years. Think I'll go back to non league after that rubbish.

Nigel Pearson please...

Lord Rother wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Reading get their 1st win of the season.

There is a very good team coming together.

I believe we will be challengers for top spot.

And now the 2nd win, a superb performance against Ipswich, winning 5-1.

It's happening... 8-)

Spec

Postby Spec » 05 Dec 2015, 11:34

He's the favourite. I noticed a number of Reading fans calling for Martin Kuhl. Brian McDermott also being mentioned for a return. Denis Bergkamp in some reports this morning. Phil Parkinson said he doesn't expect it to be him but surely the fan's favourite?

Hopefully the talk of Tim Sherwood is just talk.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Dec 2015, 11:55

andymacandy wrote:I always liked Peter Grant as a player-never took a backward step.

As his tirade against the dodgy merchandise seller in "The Song Remains The Same" film testifies!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Dec 2015, 12:58

Spec wrote:He's the favourite. I noticed a number of Reading fans calling for Martin Kuhl. Brian McDermott also being mentioned for a return. Denis Bergkamp in some reports this morning. Phil Parkinson said he doesn't expect it to be him but surely the fan's favourite?

Hopefully the talk of Tim Sherwood is just talk.

In a poll on the Fans' Forum the top votes (within a list of 16 names that didn't include Bergkamp) are as follows:

Pearson - 58
Moyes - 29
Coppell - 25
McDermott - 21

Parkinson wasn't on the list either (it was compiled from those managers not currently employed in management) but has received a few nominations within the broader discussions.

Although I would go for Pearson (because his record is bloody good), I have a feeling that McDermott could actually make a return. Madejski went on record saying he wouldn't have sacked him (it was the at-the-time bastard Russian co-owner's decision) and he turned things around from a pretty poor period under Brendan Rodgers and went on to win the Championship the next season.

He learned a lot from his time in the Premier League and could be better for it 2nd time around.

Pearson isn't the nutter he's made out to be, but I don't think our Thai owners would dismiss lightly what their fellow countrymen / owners of Leicester would say about him - which may not be a glowing endorsement of his personality. And although his influence is limited these days, I can't see Madejski being too enamoured with him either.

borofan

Postby borofan » 05 Dec 2015, 17:12

Overall a good weekend for us so far. Got our best front 4 on the pitch for the first time in weeks (Adomah and Stuani wide and Stuart Downing in the '10' role, with Nugent as the main striker) and took Ipswich apart in the second half last night after a tight first half, and great results today, with Burnley, Hull and Brum all losing. Pity about Brighton's 2 goals in the last 7 minutes though.
Now if Sheff Wed can do a job on Derby tomorrow...

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Dec 2015, 02:45

Rovers win again. Fucking hell.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

borofan

Postby borofan » 12 Dec 2015, 16:01

Minnie the Minx wrote:Rovers win again. Fucking hell.

You obviously got the Norwich Lambert!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Dec 2015, 18:03

borofan wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Rovers win again. Fucking hell.

You obviously got the Norwich Lambert!

Thank fuck!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Dec 2015, 21:49

McDermott back to arrest this alarmingly shit run at Reading.

All round good guy who fell short in the Premier League 1st time around. Hope he gets a chance to try again.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 19 Dec 2015, 07:13

He'll get a proper transfer budget this time around so he should be able to mould the team more to his image than last time, I'm glad to see him back.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 19 Dec 2015, 21:06

Sometimes it seems that a bad spell means that owners are too willing to sack a manager. Certainly, since taking over Forest, Fawaz Al-Hasawi has gone through several managers in quick succession. This makes me pleased he's kept the faith with Dougie Freedman, despite a poor run during the autumn. Today's victory against MK Dons might have been a bit of a nail-biter, as we hung on to a 2-1 win despite late pressure from the visitors, but we are now on a long unbeaten run with a squad that now looks a lot stronger and more together. Nelson Oliviera is really finding his feet as a lethal striker after initially struggling to adapt to the English game, and Dorus De Vries is pulling off amazing saves on a weekly basis. Today he saved a penalty.

We shortly will get Chris Cohen and Britt Assombalonga back in the first team. With that boost, we can make a serious play for the play-offs.

borofan

Postby borofan » 02 Jan 2016, 17:34

Great result today, 2-0 over Derby. 4 points clear, game in hand, no goals conceded in 8 games. It's bound to go wrong...

borofan

Postby borofan » 30 Jan 2016, 17:12

borofan wrote:
ANALYSIS wrote:
Pete the Pick wrote:Minnie wrote "The crowds, never great even during sunnier times, are embarrassing."

I noticed that, remarkably poor. Was that during the cup games? Why? I know Boro's attendances seem piss-poor, but Rovers gates were dreadful.

16000 on today. Opening game of season. 4000 of those are away fans. Fucking appalling.

And a few more will give up once Jordan Rhodes joins Boro.

Looks like he's finally on his way to Boro. The chicken farmers held out for £9 million plus add-ons, and got their way.

Hope he hits the ground running - we've been pretty toothless in the last couple of games. The usual Boro January wobble.

borofan

Postby borofan » 31 Jan 2016, 17:18

borofan wrote:
borofan wrote:
ANALYSIS wrote:
16000 on today. Opening game of season. 4000 of those are away fans. Fucking appalling.

Looks like he's finally on his way to Boro. The chicken farmers held out for £9 million plus add-ons, and got their way.

Hope he hits the ground running - we've been pretty toothless in the last couple of games. The usual Boro January wobble.

Not happening now. Passed his medical, but was apparently asking for stupid money which Steve Gibson wasn't prepared to pay (or break the existing pay structure at the club).

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 31 Jan 2016, 17:26

borofan wrote:
borofan wrote:
borofan wrote:

Not happening now. Passed his medical, but was apparently asking for stupid money which Steve Gibson wasn't prepared to pay (or break the existing pay structure at the club).

Oh brilliant. That means they will be sniffing around McCormack again now.
Bless the weather.......Image

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Jan 2016, 17:29

Apparently he wanted £55k pw, rising to £90k on promotion. :lol:

Scuppers Blackburn's plan to get 3 new (much needed) players in.

Their fans not at all happy with Rhodes.

borofan

Postby borofan » 01 Feb 2016, 17:17

Lord Rother wrote:Apparently he wanted £55k pw, rising to £90k on promotion. :lol:

Scuppers Blackburn's plan to get 3 new (much needed) players in.

Their fans not at all happy with Rhodes.

And now it seems to be back on again, at the original terms (Boro matching his existing contract, with an extra year). Sounds like Rhodes has told his agent to stop being a greedy twat trying to bump up his 10% or whatever.

Nobody messes with Steve Gibson - as they found out yesterday.

Return to “Sporting Life”