Euro Soccer

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
mudshark

Euro Soccer

Postby mudshark » 22 Jun 2024, 22:10

Why is there no mention of that slightly important soccer tournament that's happening in Germany? Has the love for the beautiful game dissipated on this one so beautiful board? I read somewhere that England were one of the top favorites to win. England? Winning in soccer? That would be amazing. And fun! Saw an Adidas (I think it was) advertisement featuring Jude Bellingham. Despite the obvious background music it's a moving add. England's biggest hope for a victory since Francis Drake. Very nicely done indeed.

Here in the US the copa America is getting lots of attention. At least with the Latino communities. It's the try-out for the 2026 world championship that's going to be held here. I'm sure it will be good fun, like it was back in 1994 (I attended the Brazil -Netherlands quarter final game in Dallas: devastating!).
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: Euro Soccer

Postby ChrisB » 24 Jun 2024, 12:48

So far, Germany, Spain and Portugal look classy, France workmanlike, Belgium gritty, Austria very impressive. Scotland (forget the penalty), worst team in competion. 3 shots on target in 3 matches .... no defence, no midfield, no attack. England? Who knows with Southgate. Even Baldrick had a cunning plan

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Jun 2024, 14:25

Indeed forget the penalty because it wasn't one. Scots blokey was offside and committed the 1st foul. (IMO)

Media seem utterly incapable of spotting that.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Jun 2024, 14:41

As for Southgate... give him time, he will always find a way to balls things up. Final, semi-final, doesn't matter when - you just know it'll happen sometime.

This time his plan seems to have been to balls it up early by making poor squad selections, then putting players in the wrong positions on the pitch. Yet somehow we scraped a win against Serbia, whilst doing our absolute best not to. That 1st 20 mins of excellent football must have had him sweating a bit.

His standard masterplan of dominating the opposition, scoring early, then dropping further and further back, allowing the opposition to grow in confidence then completely dominate us eventually comes good.

Every... bloody... time.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 24 Jun 2024, 17:10

His head was in his hands after Shaw scored within 5 mins of final versus Italy. It was Luke's fault we lost. " I said with 5 mins to go, Luke, 5 mins to go!!!!"

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jun 2024, 18:08

Cricket anybody - there’s a World Cup going on!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 24 Jun 2024, 22:17

Yes. Very predictable. South Africa, England and India in the semis. But hold on: if Afghanistan beats Bangla Desh this evening, Australia will be out!
Crazy times we live in.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Jun 2024, 22:37

Could we be peaking at the right time?

Shame about India.

I would far rather India were knocked out than Aus.

Despite both England and South Africa qualifying, neither team know where they are playing (either Guyana or Trinidad) yet; why?

Because regardless of where they finish (1st or 2nd) in their mini group, India WILL be playing in Guyana with a 10:30am start time.

This is to satisfy the Indian broadcasters, and makes a mockery of the fairness of the competition (for example, India know where they are staying and all their support staff and stuff is already there, whereas their opponents get less than 48 hours notice between knowing where they are playing and the game starting).

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 24 Jun 2024, 23:44

I think around 75% of the inhabitants of Guyana and Trinidad are of Indian descent, courtesy of the British crown. India is the sentimental favorite, and might be getting the long end of the stick for a change, and so they should. England looks pretty unbeatable though - at cricket. I'm rooting for the men in blue this time.

Italy's tournament saved by a 98th minute equalizer. Lucky bastards probably go all the way now.
Watching Austria - Netherlands in a "Bierhaus" in Houston tomorrow. Fucking Wunderbar.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Jun 2024, 15:32

Long end of the stick - for a change? Almost everything in cricket is run to suit India!

And England... Unbeatable at cricket?

Not really your sport then I assume?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jun 2024, 12:43

The T20 World Cup taking place mainly in the Carribean - in their rainy season. Great.

And the reason for that scheduling? So that it didn't interrupt the Indian Premier League, their 2 fucking month long bore-fest that brings in so much money to Indian cricket.

But, it gets worse.

Not content with letting them have their big event, ahead of the International Cricket Council's own big tournament they pay them far and away the biggest share of the ICC's funds.

Latest model for 2024-2027 cycle shows a projected pot for distribution to its 106 members of $600m

India get 38.3% of that pot.

The India v England semi-final is scheduled for Guyana - the forecast looks abysmal so it may be rained off without a ball bowled. No extra day scheduled for that one because it's a Daylight game. The other semi is an evening game and WOULD have an extra day. If there isn't a ball bowled India will go through to the final because they won their group and England didn't.

Not India's fault that one but it's not quite as straigtforward as that. The reason the England India game is a day game? Because it was demanded by the Indian broadcasters to suit their watching millions and all those lovely advertisers paying bucketloads for the hugely expensive time slots.

You've got to laugh really.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 26 Jun 2024, 15:13

Well, the rain saved England losing to Scotland and they'd be out already, so there may be some poetic justice here. My mate loves cricket, I hate it in all forms....and, yes, I know it happens in all sports, but this "my Canadian grandmother knew a postman who's dog is an English bulldog, and therefore you can play for England" crap, really gets on my t***. I mean, Ben Stokes born in NZ but chose to follow the money in UK etc

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Jun 2024, 16:50

Losing to Scotland? Was never gonna happen! :D

Umm, Stokes' mother is English and he moved to England when he was 12.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 26 Jun 2024, 21:51

No matter ....born in New Zealand, even if I took liberties with the family tree. Anyway, England v India. You know your cricket ......England win, so, worth a bet? I trust you, M'Lord

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 Jun 2024, 18:12

Lord Rother wrote:Long end of the stick - for a change? Almost everything in cricket is run to suit India!

And England... Unbeatable at cricket?

Not really your sport then I assume?

I love to attend cricket games! Was at Lords once back in the 90s. Great F&B, good banter, pleasant company. Got royally shitfaced. Don't know who played let alone what the result was. In fact, I didn't watch the game at all. The father of a friend of mine was selling one of those devices that measure the brightness, so they know when to call it quits. Or something. That's how I got invited.

There's a South African bloke who brings his dogs to the park around the same time as we do, and he loves his cricket. So I started following this tournament a bit, and England looked damn good to me and Japie agreed. But fortunately they got knocked out by India. I'll try to watch the final. What time is the kick-off? Nope, not really my game.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Jun 2024, 20:20

:D

I’ve been to many a day’s cricket in my time. Last couple of times was at Corporate functions with open bar (full day’s play 11am to 6pm not just the 20 over bashes) where it’s almost impossible NOT to get royally shitfaced.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 30 Jun 2024, 10:49

INDIA!! It was a very good match!

Other than the soccer matches I've had to endure: Italy was terrible, the Swiss have the ugliest outfit since the 1978 Astros and Denmark got robbed.
Big day for Ingurland today. could they actually score a goal?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 01 Jul 2024, 14:56

What a pathetic performance - again.

I would almost rather we'd lost, in part because it is exactly what we deserve, but also to put an end to the agony of having to watch another Southgate inspired shitshow next Saturday.

Spain must be clear favourites now - they look excellent. I'd almost like to see them play England just for the humiliating scoreline giggles. But that could only happen if we both reached the final and that would be a bloody miracle.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 Jul 2024, 16:35

ChrisB wrote: I mean, Ben Stokes born in NZ but chose to follow the money in UK etc

My neighbour, who was an opening batsman for Durham sometime in the 60s and 70s, claims to have discovered Stokes as a young cricketer, and phoned Durham up to check Stokes out.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 01 Jul 2024, 17:53

Lord Rother wrote:What a pathetic performance - again.

I would almost rather we'd lost, in part because it is exactly what we deserve, but also to put an end to the agony of having to watch another Southgate inspired shitshow next Saturday.

Spain must be clear favourites now - they look excellent. I'd almost like to see them play England just for the humiliating scoreline giggles. But that could only happen if we both reached the final and that would be a bloody miracle.

If England win the Euros, it will be in spite of Southgate, not because of him. His tactic appears be crossing everything and hoping it comes good. A caller on Talksport earlier was apoplectic regarding Southgate, saying he would be lucky to get a job in the fifth tier of the football league

Return to “Sporting Life”