The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Sam Stone

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby Sam Stone » 16 Jul 2020, 07:15

trans-chigley express wrote:I spent the previous month doing a regular course that my hiking club does as a training run 3 times a week. It's 7.5km with a 450m ascent (To Hong Kong's famous Victoria Peak). I've never done it before because it's all paved which I don't like and also because I'm more an endurance guy rather than a short distance runner. Anyhow, I got out of my comfort zone and signed up to do it for a month. It took me 5 attempts to complete it under an hour which was my aim. It meant running flat out on all flat and downhill sections but to improve on that time I'll have to run up hill too....just too much in the summer heat that's now kicked in. To beat my record of 58 mins I think I'll leave it till next winter and revert back to my normal trails.

The big question is how far can you run/walk in 39 minutes?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Jul 2020, 05:20

Sam Stone wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I spent the previous month doing a regular course that my hiking club does as a training run 3 times a week. It's 7.5km with a 450m ascent (To Hong Kong's famous Victoria Peak). I've never done it before because it's all paved which I don't like and also because I'm more an endurance guy rather than a short distance runner. Anyhow, I got out of my comfort zone and signed up to do it for a month. It took me 5 attempts to complete it under an hour which was my aim. It meant running flat out on all flat and downhill sections but to improve on that time I'll have to run up hill too....just too much in the summer heat that's now kicked in. To beat my record of 58 mins I think I'll leave it till next winter and revert back to my normal trails.

Why 39 mins? what's that magic number?

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 21 Jul 2020, 19:44

trans-chigley express wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:

It’s a joke friends in HK have shared about going out running - 39 minutes being the time the HK police took to respond to calls when triad thugs set about people in Yuen Long MTR during last year’s demos,

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 22 Jul 2020, 05:23

Sam Stone wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:
Sam Stone wrote:

It’s a joke friends in HK have shared about going out running - 39 minutes being the time the HK police took to respond to calls when triad thugs set about people in Yuen Long MTR during last year’s demos,

It's safe to say I can run a hell of a lot further in 39 mins than the HK police can manage in a vehicle.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Jul 2020, 15:30

I went on my first run in decent running shoes this morning. It was fucking fantastic. I felt like I could have kept going till I reached the Golden Gate Bridge!

Is this my ‘running turning point’ ???
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Jul 2020, 05:46

Minnie the Minx wrote:I went on my first run in decent running shoes this morning. It was fucking fantastic. I felt like I could have kept going till I reached the Golden Gate Bridge!

Is this my ‘running turning point’ ???

Do you think the difference was down to the running shoes or your fitness levels had improved more than you realised? I do think having proper shoes for the task help a lot.

I use a number of different footwear depending on what I'm doing. For regular hiking I like something grippy (I use North Face as a rule), for fast hikes and trail running I like something very lightweight with a little grip but not too much as it can cause you to stumble at pace (Hoka are ideal). For stream trekking I need VERY grippy rubber-soled footwear that feel comfortable when soaking wet (5-10s, with soles made from care tyre rubber and thin mesh uppers that don't soak up water and get heavy). I don't do flat running on hard surface but if I did it would be well worth getting something ideally suited to that style.

I don't believe in spending a lot on footwear though. I buy my Hoka at warehouse sales where they get rid of old models at dirt cheap prices. Hoka don't last long so it's definitely not worth spending a lot on them, but they are very comfortable. I get North Face a lot as there is a outlet near my home that often have really good deals.
Last edited by trans-chigley express on 31 Jul 2020, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Jul 2020, 05:58

btw I kept promising to post pics of my Mt Blanc trek but never got round to it but I did compile a video montage of photos I took on the trek each day and posted on Youtube (on a friend's channel, I don't have my own), so if anyone is bored enough feel free to check these out. My brother did some original music for it, along with some other suitable mood music by well known artists.