Liverpool

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
trans-chigley express

Re: Liverpool

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Jan 2019, 11:00

I breathed a huge sign of relief after the Palace game. That looked more like the Liverpool of last season which was worrying. Really missed Trent and Gomez.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jan 2019, 11:38

trans-chigley express wrote:I breathed a huge sign of relief after the Palace game. That looked more like the Liverpool of last season which was worrying. Really missed Trent and Gomez.

Palace are an absolute bugger of a team to play at home though. They have two very dangerous breakaway threats in Townsend & Zaha, and they are so effective when they're catching teams on the break. All in all, a good win for Liverpool - but their defensive frailties are rather more obvious when half of the back four is missing.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Dec 2019, 20:16

Nearly a year on and it seems Liverpool are very much the team to beat.

They have a savage schedule in the next month but if they're still 8 points clear by then I reckon it really is theirs to lose.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Dec 2019, 14:47

Liverpool keep rolling on while everyone behind continually drop points. They've looked shakey at times though and their unbeaten run will come to an end before long but hopefully they've built up enough of a lead to afford their usual post Christmas wobble.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 27 Dec 2019, 10:19

I thought they were superb last night. Played Leicester off the park and TAA put in one of the performances of the season.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Dec 2019, 16:33

Unbelievable consistency.

An absolutely amazing team effort over the last 2 seasons.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 Jan 2020, 12:07

Penk! wrote:Hilarious really, aren't they?

Went back to the first post on this thread.

They weren't great yesterday and I thought even without Kane Spurs pace would give them problems.

Wijnaldum was brilliant yesterday - such a fantastic midfielder.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Jan 2020, 20:49

Much as it pains me to say it, they've moved to a different plane this season. They aren't just the best team in the EPL, they're the best by fucking streets. When they play their best, maybe only Man City can still live with them. Maybe. When they just play okay, they win. When they play badly, they win. Doesn't seem to matter much who they're playing, when or where - they win. They are also a real team where everyone at the club has bought into the Klopp vision. They lead from the front and the rest further down the food chain follow and pick up the crumbs readily. There is something very special going on at Anfield at present - how long it goes on for I'm not sure but their football the past twelve months has been, probably, the best I've seen in the top flight. Yes better than Man City because they won the Champions League. Yes better than any of the Chelsea teams - even the 2004(?) Mourinho side. Better than the Arsenal invincibles. Maybe only the Man Utd Treble team from 99 can claim to be as consistently good. And maybe one of the Liverpool sides from the early 80's. Maybe. But I honestly don't remember such relentless determination and brilliance over the course of a twelve month period.

Now I'm going to be sick.
People go on too much about the privileged background of politicians but actually Matt Hancock had a very humble upbringing in an Italian workshop owned by a woodworker named Geppetto who turned him into a human boy.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 15 Jan 2020, 13:19

Diamond Dog wrote: I honestly don't remember such relentless determination and brilliance over the course of a twelve month period.

Now I'm going to be sick.

Poor Pete. This must be really killing you.
Bugger off.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Jan 2020, 13:55

Everton have got a genuine world class manager - that must be some consolation.

The back 5 are looking impregnable at the moment. And Van Dijk makes defending look utterly effortless - as if the ball is just magnetically attracted to him. There has never been a better defender in the Premier League IMO.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Jan 2020, 20:45

In the long-term there is a possibility that Liverpool under Klopp could properly dominate for a while.

I don't think Mourinho will be at City after next season. I'm not saying that City won't be a threat, but whether they will be under a different manager is difficult to say. Every other major club in the Premier League is going through a relative level of turmoil, adjusting to new managers. None of them look like laying a glove on Liverpool in any real sense right now.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 24 Jan 2020, 08:59

KeithPratt wrote:In the long-term there is a possibility that Liverpool under Klopp could properly dominate for a while.

I don't think Mourinho will be at City after next season. I'm not saying that City won't be a threat, but whether they will be under a different manager is difficult to say. Every other major club in the Premier League is going through a relative level of turmoil, adjusting to new managers. None of them look like laying a glove on Liverpool in any real sense right now.

I'm not being facetious here, but I just want to check. You do mean Guardiola and not Mourinho, right? Just a slip of the brain.
Or are you saying that you don't think City will appoint Mourinho when Pep inevitably leaves after next season? God, how I'd love to see that!
Bugger off.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 26 Jan 2020, 09:35

LOL, yeah of course Guardiola.

I don't think he'll be there after next season.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2020, 13:18

After 25 games :

Liverpool already have two more league wins than Man Utd did during their treble winning season.

From this point Liverpool would only have to win 2 of the last 13 games, and draw the other 11, to exactly mirror the Arsenal "Invincibles" record.

:shock:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 09 Feb 2020, 16:30

KeithPratt wrote:In the long-term there is a possibility that Liverpool under Klopp could properly dominate for a while.

It's a perfect storm of Liverpool being utterly imperious and everyone else being either below par (United and Arsenal below Sheff U??) or, in Leicester's case, just not powerful enough to challenge them. The fact that they're so far ahead has allowed me to accept it all and relax instead of fretting about them winning the league like I did last year. :lol:

Hats off to them.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Mar 2020, 05:30

...And Arsenal fans the world over celebrate...

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 01 Mar 2020, 10:23

Diamond Dog wrote:...And Arsenal fans the world over celebrate...

We certainly do in a clutching at straws kind of way, but it does underline what an achievement it is.

For some reason I felt Liverpool were going to lose against West Ham last week, and it looked on the cards until former Arsenal stopper Flappyhandski gave Liverpool a goal.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Mar 2020, 04:45

It was a shocking performance by Liverpool and a excellent one from Watford who could have won by a couple more goals and it wouldn't have flattered them.

Liverpool haven't mustered a single good performance since the winter break and their front 3 seem to have lost their chemistry. Hopefully this a wake up call against complacency but I have been half expecting a bit of a slump and I can see a few more bad results on the horizon.

Henderson and Gomez can't come back fast enough, they have been missed.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Mar 2020, 15:51

They really weren't at the races from the first minute - an extremely odd performance from them. Watford dominated throughout really. I'm sure it's only a blip and may well just provide the stimulus for them to a) win the title quickly and b) concentrate on the CL & FA Cup.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Mar 2020, 05:37

Or not, as the case may be....