Premier League 18/19

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Premier League 18/19

Postby Toby » 14 May 2019, 07:26

Liverpool are well situated for more challenges. The average age of their key players is lower. You can see all of their best players there for at least 4 or 5 seasons and given Klopp's ability to spot and improve, there is no reason why they won't go further. It will be interesting to see who they buy in the summer - perhaps Neres from Ajax and another midfielder.

City will find replacing Fernandinho, Aguero and Kompany hard, even if Bernardo Silva has stepped up and then some.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 May 2019, 08:14

Toby wrote:City will find replacing Fernandinho, Aguero and Kompany hard, even if Bernardo Silva has stepped up and then some.

I think they've already found their replacement in Gundogan to be fair. That transition to him for the last two months or so was pretty seamless.

Kompany as a leader - yes. As a player - they'll have little difficulty in replacing, in my view.

The big one for City is Aguero.... he's still massively under rated in this country. Five consecutive seasons of 20+ goals in the EPL - that's amazing consistency. And his record of scoring in big games is well nigh faultless too. He will be very much missed - but I think he still has two/three at the top, so they'll have time to find his successor.

Your point about the age difference at Liverpool is of course correct - but I think they have a big talent gap in their midfield three (compared to City) and they'll need to close that first. But they came desperately close this season and, as you say, there's absolutely no reason to assume they won't continue to attract great players and improve.
Not everyone is an artist but everyone is a fucking critic.
On mellow blue, birds curve and glide Through shadows of grief she slides
This is where we walked This is where we swam Take our picture here Take a souvenir

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 May 2019, 10:19

Strength in depth is the issue for Liverpool, I think. There's a big talent gap between Mane/Salah/Firminho, and whoever steps in if they're injured. Other than with Aguero, City don't have the same problem, there's a decent enough replacement waiting in the wings.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 14 May 2019, 11:44

Liverpool's squad has improved steadily over 2 seasons. I think it will be another 2 before they are potentially at the same level of City in terms of the quality that can come off the bench.

With regard to Gundogan, he can't defend. And I think that is why Fernandinho is still so crucial to them and why getting a replacement might be difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get Kante but I guess their limits on spending might be a problem.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 14 May 2019, 12:17

I can't see Chelsea wanting to let Kante go given that they themselves can't replace him until summer 2020. And especially not to a rival. I reckon City might go after Ndidi: proven in the Premier League, young enough to keep improving, ready to step up to the next level.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 May 2019, 13:44

Toby wrote:With regard to Gundogan, he can't defend.

And yet they conceded 1 goal in the last five games (actually 2 in the last 9)?

As for who they might go for - if Guardiola feels Gundogan isn't the answer- I might suggest Idrissa Gueye from Everton....
Not everyone is an artist but everyone is a fucking critic.
On mellow blue, birds curve and glide Through shadows of grief she slides
This is where we walked This is where we swam Take our picture here Take a souvenir

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 14 May 2019, 15:02

If they were able to spend then Rice from WHU would be a possibility as DM.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 14 May 2019, 15:03

I'd like to hope that Rice stays at WHU for at least 2 more seasons.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 May 2019, 16:09

Since we're all scouting for City, isn't Ruben Neves the obvious defensive midfield choice?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.