NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Sep 2018, 17:33

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I don;t think all is well in New England.... they got well beaten by the Jags on Sunday and Brady really didn't look too impressed with the playcalling... on D! Sitting there shaking his head as Jacksonville kept scoring points - it didn't look good. Maybe the fissure which appeared last season (allegedly around the Garoppolo trade) hasn't really gone away.

He could be seen yelling at his linemen, "Do your job!" while sitting on the bench. I heard this morning that he waits so long every year to announce he's coming back because of Belichick. It's also coming out again how Nick Saban felt stifled as D-coordinator for the Browns coaching under Belichick. Because of the conservative play calling, apparently.

How 'bout Antonio Brown not showing up for practice? They are saying Tomlin has lost control of the team.

Is that really for the QB to say to the D? I think not, Brady or not.

The Steelers look to be a shambles... it was getting that way last year but Brown's touchline routione last week was ridiculous. If the co-ordinators/coaches aren't going to do the job, then the Head Coach has to step in and sort the situation. It looked as tghou Brown effectively took himself out of the game intermittently - and that can't be allowed to happen. With Bell still a no show, they're looking increasingly vulnerable. Their old secondary woes have returned with a vengeance too. I think Tomlinson is walking a very thin line there.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Sep 2018, 17:05

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I don;t think all is well in New England.... they got well beaten by the Jags on Sunday and Brady really didn't look too impressed with the playcalling... on D! Sitting there shaking his head as Jacksonville kept scoring points - it didn't look good. Maybe the fissure which appeared last season (allegedly around the Garoppolo trade) hasn't really gone away.

He could be seen yelling at his linemen, "Do your job!" while sitting on the bench. I heard this morning that he waits so long every year to announce he's coming back because of Belichick. It's also coming out again how Nick Saban felt stifled as D-coordinator for the Browns coaching under Belichick. Because of the conservative play calling, apparently.

How 'bout Antonio Brown not showing up for practice? They are saying Tomlin has lost control of the team.

Is that really for the QB to say to the D? I think not, Brady or not.

The Steelers look to be a shambles... it was getting that way last year but Brown's touchline routione last week was ridiculous. If the co-ordinators/coaches aren't going to do the job, then the Head Coach has to step in and sort the situation. It looked as tghou Brown effectively took himself out of the game intermittently - and that can't be allowed to happen. With Bell still a no show, they're looking increasingly vulnerable. Their old secondary woes have returned with a vengeance too. I think Tomlinson is walking a very thin line there.

Heard something today that the Steelers haven't been the same since Dan Rooney died.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Sep 2018, 17:03

Weird weekend in the NFL. The Niners are toast if Garopollo has a torn ACL and the Raiders are 0-3.

At least we got Stanford, which had a great win at Oregon.

If you can catch a Chiefs game, Mahomes is the real deal. The over/under on the Niners/Chiefs game was 54.5 I think, and they easily broke that.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Oct 2018, 17:00

Just seen the Rams last two matches.... if they can get past the next month or so (with the injuries to Talib & Peters) and still be in contention, they could be anything. This offence looks absolutely frightening, with everything (the Line, Goff, Gurley, Kupp, Woods & Cooks) giving so many different options. They may just confirm my pre-season prediction of Superbowl winners.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Oct 2018, 21:19

Diamond Dog wrote:Just seen the Rams last two matches.... if they can get past the next month or so (with the injuries to Talib & Peters) and still be in contention, they could be anything. This offence looks absolutely frightening, with everything (the Line, Goff, Gurley, Kupp, Woods & Cooks) giving so many different options. They may just confirm my pre-season prediction of Superbowl winners.

Oh, definitely. They're scary.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Oct 2018, 22:45

In the what did you want to be when you grew up thread i started, Baron mentioned Earl Campbell and I mentioned John Riggins. I wanted to see if I remembered Riggins correctly and came across this video. High school sprint champion and broke Gayle Sayers rushing records at University of Kansas.

Yes, he was all that and more.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Oct 2018, 10:02

When the NFL was first shown in the UK the Redskins won the Superbowl - hence my love of the team- and Riggins was the first American footballer I worshipped. I remember in the 83 Superbowl where Riggins ran the ball into a crowd of players on a short yardage call,there looked to be absolutely nowhere to go, and then on impact you just saw Riggins crashing through..... Washington were down at the time, and he broke it 57 yards for a TD to put us in front. The guy was a legend and so so tough.

I've seen an NFL legends programme on him too - very esoteric guy, pretty strange all in all but he was my first inspiration and the reason I loved the game from the start.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2018, 16:44

Diamond Dog wrote:When the NFL was first shown in the UK the Redskins won the Superbowl - hence my love of the team- and Riggins was the first American footballer I worshipped. I remember in the 83 Superbowl where Riggins ran the ball into a crowd of players on a short yardage call,there looked to be absolutely nowhere to go, and then on impact you just saw Riggins crashing through..... Washington were down at the time, and he broke it 57 yards for a TD to put us in front. The guy was a legend and so so tough.

I've seen an NFL legends programme on him too - very esoteric guy, pretty strange all in all but he was my first inspiration and the reason I loved the game from the start.

I remember him with the Jets first. Can you imagine the hijinks he and Namath got into?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Oct 2018, 16:49

Indeed. Didn't he cause a controversy after his career in a drunken exchange with a highly placed female Judge?
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2018, 17:42

Diamond Dog wrote:Indeed. Didn't he cause a controversy after his career in a drunken exchange with a highly placed female Judge?

It was Suzy Kolber of ESPN

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Oct 2018, 18:27

No I meant Riggins! :lol:
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2018, 21:53

Diamond Dog wrote:Indeed. Didn't he cause a controversy after his career in a drunken exchange with a highly placed female Judge?

Ahhh, you mean this one:

Redskins star John Riggins put on a raucous display at a formal banquet Wednesday night, at one point urging Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor to 'loosen up, Sandy baby,' then passing out on the ballroom floor and snoring through a speech by George Bush.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Oct 2018, 22:06

sloopjohnc wrote:

Ahhh, you mean this one:

Redskins star John Riggins put on a raucous display at a formal banquet Wednesday night, at one point urging Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor to 'loosen up, Sandy baby,' then passing out on the ballroom floor and snoring through a speech by George Bush.

lol that's the one!
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2018, 09:12

Just seen the highlights from the Chiefs victory at Denver.... they are scary on offence, and Mahomes is breathtaking.... but their D is woeful. It's going to be fun watching the Rams & Chiefs throughout the season though!
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2018, 17:59

Diamond Dog wrote:Just seen the highlights from the Chiefs victory at Denver.... they are scary on offence, and Mahomes is breathtaking.... but their D is woeful. It's going to be fun watching the Rams & Chiefs throughout the season though!

I thought the Niners put in a respectable, competitive game with the Chiefs for awhile, but it's like playing the Warriors in the NBA. You can only stay up with them for awhile, not a whole game. Like the Rams.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2018, 18:07

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Just seen the highlights from the Chiefs victory at Denver.... they are scary on offence, and Mahomes is breathtaking.... but their D is woeful. It's going to be fun watching the Rams & Chiefs throughout the season though!

I thought the Niners put in a respectable, competitive game with the Chiefs for awhile, but it's like playing the Warriors in the NBA. You can only stay up with them for awhile, not a whole game. Like the Rams.

Mahomes is unreal.. did you see the TD pass where he switched the ball to his left hand just as he was about to be sacked? Incredible. They have serious talent but... the Jags will give them a severe test this weekend, even in Kansas.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2018, 21:45

Diamond Dog wrote:Mahomes is unreal.. did you see the TD pass where he switched the ball to his left hand just as he was about to be sacked? Incredible.

:roll:

I'm not Markus. I actually watch this stuff with my eyes and not out my ass.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2018, 22:01

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Mahomes is unreal.. did you see the TD pass where he switched the ball to his left hand just as he was about to be sacked? Incredible.

Good for you.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Oct 2018, 22:15

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Good for you.

I was joking, but it seems you took it wrong. Yes, I saw it.

I didn't know if the Chiefs had done the right thing trading Alex Smith. He was a good middle of the pack QB, and Mahomes came from Texas Tech, from a college division that regularly rolls up impressive passing and reception numbers, but whose players aren't always NFL ready. Crabtree is the only guy I can think of who has sorta lived up to the hype.

But Mahomes has a gun, and he seems to have a head to go with it. He seems like a really decent guy too.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Oct 2018, 22:19

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Good for you.

I was joking, but it seems you took it wrong. Yes, I saw it.

I didn't know if the Chiefs had done the right thing trading Alex Smith. He was a good middle of the pack QB, and Mahomes came from Texas Tech, from a college division that regularly rolls up impressive passing and reception numbers, but whose players aren't always NFL ready. Crabtree is the only guy I can think of who has sorta lived up to the hype.

But Mahomes has a gun, and he seems to have a head to go with it. He seems like a really decent guy too.

We never really know if a QB is for real until after their second season - but he looks to have unusual skills and thinks really well too and stays calm. He could be very special. I think Smith - as he is showing at Washington- is a safe choice. But he's never going to win you tough games - give him a great D, and he could win a Superbowl. But, sadly, he's not going to get that with the Skins..... :D
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”