World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Darkness_Fish

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Jun 2018, 17:44

Good point!
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Jun 2018, 17:45

Missed the entire match as it was my son's birthday party.

England look deadly at set pieces. The way VAR is going, it's going to be a case of just how quickly defenders can shed old habits at corners and free kicks, because some of them simply haven't read the brief.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 24 Jun 2018, 18:03

Japan just tied with Senegal 2-2.
Question authority.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 24 Jun 2018, 19:06

Jimbo wrote:Japan just tied with Senegal 2-2.

Fact.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Jun 2018, 19:19

Could do with Poland drawing with Colombia. I'm sure England will favour either Japan or Senegal, but in truth none of the sides in that look at all comfortable defending.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 24 Jun 2018, 19:27

Geezee wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Japan just tied with Senegal 2-2.

Fact.

Another fact is that it's the first soccer game I ever watched from start to finish. :oops:
Question authority.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 24 Jun 2018, 20:35

Poland on their way home then. Some people seemed to be tipping them to do well but they’re old and crap.

They’re ranked number 10 in the world bizarrely.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Jun 2018, 21:23

I can't see Senegal holding out for a draw. Japan I imagine will draw too.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jun 2018, 08:17

Well that was fun, wasn't it?! :D

Let's not get carried away but this team is coming together nicely.... some cracking goals (Stones' brilliant header, both penalties from Kane and Lingard's rocket) must have raised eyebrows around the world. There's still lots to work on (sorry, I just cannot see how Young continues to get picked in front of Rose or Delph, Henderson was wasteful yesterday too) but Southgate isn't a manager to go with popular opinion - he'll continue to pick the team the way he thinks it ill operate best, and so he should.

By the way, all this nonsense about whether we want to finish top or second is just that -nonsense. Try to win the game Thursday to keep the momentum going, it's as simple as that.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Jun 2018, 09:03

double post
Last edited by Rayge on 25 Jun 2018, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Jun 2018, 09:04

The Modernist wrote:Southgate was quite clever in making sure the Spurs quotant didn't run too high.

And got the Gooner 'quotant' exactly right. As did Low

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jun 2018, 09:15

Nice double post there.
Cocaine

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Jun 2018, 09:16

The dark side is coming out now: Xhaka and Shaqiri facing bans for their political gestures in the game against Serbia, Germany ”under investigation” for their behaviour after the Sweden game.

And back in Sweden Jimmy Durmaz, who gave away that late free-kick, has released a video statement backed by the rest of the squad after suffering racial abuse and threats to him and his family on social media.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Jun 2018, 09:19

PENK wrote:And back in Sweden Jimmy Durmaz, who gave away that late free-kick, has released a video statement backed by the rest of the squad after suffering racial abuse and threats to him and his family on social media.

As a Swede, I find it utterly embarrassing that it comes to this.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Jun 2018, 09:27

PENK wrote:The dark side is coming out now: Xhaka and Shaqiri facing bans for their political gestures in the game against Serbia, Germany ”under investigation” for their behaviour after the Sweden game.

And back in Sweden Jimmy Durmaz, who gave away that late free-kick, has released a video statement backed by the rest of the squad after suffering racial abuse and threats to him and his family on social media.

In general, it seems to have been a remarkably calm tournament so far otherwise - the fears of hooliganism/racism and the like fortunately doesn't seem to have reared their heads yet. I was also expecting some potential protests over Russia's LBGTQ laws as there have been at other events.

Seems a bit strange that Shaqiri and Xhaka are in trouble, but Egypt being used as a propaganda tool for Chechnya is no problem - but it is a really fine and difficult line to draw.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Jun 2018, 09:55

I expect there are police and security heavies all over the place to keep things in check and make sure there are no awkward incidents during Putin’s big showcase.

FIFA have always been inconsistent and hypocritcal about political things. I don’t know enough about the Albania-Serbia-Kosovo situation to comment on how offensive/right-on/provocative the players’ gesture was but I do always wonder whether the platform is the appropriate one. Sure it’s not as offensive as Nicklas Bendtner’s pants of course.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jun 2018, 10:38

Rayge wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Southgate was quite clever in makin! sure the Spurs quotant didn't run too high.

And got the Gooner 'quotant' exactly right. As did Low

I watched the game with a Spurs mate. At half time I said to him "if only we'd taken Jack, we'd be winning this 10-0". He didn't agree!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jun 2018, 11:06

PENK wrote:I expect there are police and security heavies all over the place to keep things in check

Oddly from fans and press comments the policing has been remarkably low key, apparently.

I just think the idea of 30 years in the Gulag doesn't really appeal too much, comrade.
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 25 Jun 2018, 11:12

PENK wrote:I expect there are police and security heavies all over the place to keep things in check and make sure there are no awkward incidents during Putin’s big showcase.

FIFA have always been inconsistent and hypocritcal about political things. I don’t know enough about the Albania-Serbia-Kosovo situation to comment on how offensive/right-on/provocative the players’ gesture was but I do always wonder whether the platform is the appropriate one. Sure it’s not as offensive as Nicklas Bendtner’s pants of course.

It does seem they are pretty zero tolerance on personal protests (eg. Guardiola's Catalan protest, goal celebrations etc). God knows how they'd react if something similar to the NFL kneeling protest came to football. One thing which I learned quite recently is that FIFA apparently knew about the black bands on the goalposts in Argentina 1978, and tacitly went along with the "oh these are part of tradition" line that fooled the military junta. If that's true, it's quite a ballsy move - although of course yes you can argue that it should never have been awarded to them in the first place.

Either way, the sense that I get from friends of mine who are over in Rusisa right now is that the security isn't too heavy or heavy-handed. Seem pretty relaxed, most people having a good time, fan zones are bubbling etc. A bit of apprehension - but so was I when I went to a couple of games at Euro '16 in France.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Jun 2018, 18:42

Fine article in the Guardian today by Jorge Valdano (ex-footballer in literary ability shocker!) about Argentina:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... i-football

Return to “Sporting Life”