World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23102
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Toby » 12 Jun 2018, 16:48

Geezee wrote:
Toby wrote:COME ON THEN!

I'm going for a Spain vs France final, with the former edging it.

Germany are going to crash out to Brazil in the semis, with France beating them.



How is Germany going to lose to Brazil in the semis, but Brazil not make the final? :?


I mean the quarters soz.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34453
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby PENK » 13 Jun 2018, 11:51

Toby wrote:I'm going for a Spain vs France final, with the former edging it.


You still think so?
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23102
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Toby » 13 Jun 2018, 12:02

Spain have got more than enough quality to oversee an issue with the coach going to Real. Think Bobby Robson and Italia 90.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34453
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby PENK » 13 Jun 2018, 12:05

Toby wrote:Spain have got more than enough quality to oversee an issue with the coach going to Real. Think Bobby Robson and Italia 90.


They have just sacked him. Two days before playing Portugal in their first game.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66085
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jun 2018, 12:36

PENK wrote:
Toby wrote:Spain have got more than enough quality to oversee an issue with the coach going to Real. Think Bobby Robson and Italia 90.


They have just sacked him. Two days before playing Portugal in their first game.



That's a potential meltdown... crazy.

I mean what sort of cunt conducts negotiations about his role after the World Cup, in the week leading up to the first game, doesn't inform the national FA and then announces it on the eve of the tournament? Bold move by the Spanish FA and one I totally agree with.

It could just be a catalyst for the players (who are plenty good enough) to take over - as per Robson 1990, allegedly- and just go and win the World Cup. They're certainly got all the required talent to do so.
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66085
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jun 2018, 12:48

France to beat Belgium in the final...Germany & Uruguay beaten semi finalists.
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32148
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2018, 12:59

Unbelievable!

I thought it was bollocks Real announcing it when they did. I’m glad their fa have sacked him.

I’d quite like Spain to win now
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32148
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jun 2018, 13:42

But then again...Ramos
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby fange » 13 Jun 2018, 13:55

Goat Boy wrote:But then again...Ramos

Yeah, nah.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby fange » 13 Jun 2018, 13:56

Diamond Dog wrote:France to beat Belgium in the final...Germany & Uruguay beaten semi finalists.

I'm thinking that too, though maybe Germany in the final.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66085
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jun 2018, 19:04

Skipping to 2026... USA, Mexico & Canada win the right to host - do all three countries receive automatic places... or none... or one.. or two (and, if so, which ones - and why?)!
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

User avatar
borofan
Posts: 3115
Joined: 29 Jul 2003, 21:17
Location: Lost in translation

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby borofan » 13 Jun 2018, 19:12

Diamond Dog wrote:Skipping to 2026... USA, Mexico & Canada win the right to host - do all three countries receive automatic places... or none... or one.. or two (and, if so, which ones - and why?)!

As I understand it, it will be all three. Mind, there will be plenty of places - there will be 48 countries taking part in the finals by then. I think FIFA want to encourage bids from multiple nations to host, if only because it will be far too big and expensive for most countries to take on by themselves.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66085
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jun 2018, 19:26

borofan wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Skipping to 2026... USA, Mexico & Canada win the right to host - do all three countries receive automatic places... or none... or one.. or two (and, if so, which ones - and why?)!

As I understand it, it will be all three. Mind, there will be plenty of places - there will be 48 countries taking part in the finals by then. I think FIFA want to encourage bids from multiple nations to host, if only because it will be far too big and expensive for most countries to take on by themselves.


Ah yes... we have the (completely unrelated) vote on making it 48 teams soon, don't we? Thank you - I'd forgotten that.
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34453
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby PENK » 13 Jun 2018, 19:57

Indeed, there will be 48 teams in that tournament so why not.

In 2030, the tournament will be hosted by the entirety of Asia and there will be 431 countries competing.

FIFA will then completely collapse under the weight of its own avarice, with the result that the 2034 tournament will be held in Vanuatu and it will be a one-off match between them and Belize.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34453
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby PENK » 13 Jun 2018, 20:02

The 32-team tournament is fine - speaking as a younger poster who only remembers Italia 90 and USA 94 from the era of smaller tournaments - as it gives a place to more teams from around the world without really diluting the quality (modern defensive tactics have more to do with that). Anything more is ridiculous, though.

And there is much more romance and excitement in one country hosting, although I guess all the wealthy footballing countries have had a go. A joint bid from somewhere more exotic would be preferable to three giants like the North America one. I'd rather see a World Cup in, say, Australia-New Zealand, the Balkans, the Benelux countries (they had a good Euros)? It's only FIFA's greed (refusing to pay tax, gobbling up all the profits) that makes it so expensive to host.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34453
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby PENK » 13 Jun 2018, 20:18

Anyhow, I am officially excited.

I should be able to watch most of the opener tomorrow, though it will mean being a bit late for the school prom... which as Head of Year for the graduating students I really ought to be there for.

I finish work on Friday, but some daft buggers I know have scheduled their wedding on Saturday so I'll miss all the games then. And of course with small kids it's hard to see afternoon or teatime games - here's hoping there are good highlights shows!

My tips? France. Or Germany.

I think Brazil might crash out again; beyond Neymar (who is an injury doubt) I don't see that there is serious quality, with lots of flashy but inconsistent players like Coutinho and an aging defence.

England will do fine in the group but might have it tough if they get Colombia in the second round.

Top scorer? Cavani or Suarez might bag a hatful in the group stage. Or even Kane or Lukaku if their decidedly unreliable teams fire.

Best player? Messi probably.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12295
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby fange » 14 Jun 2018, 07:24

PENK wrote:And there is much more romance and excitement in one country hosting, although I guess all the wealthy footballing countries have had a go. A joint bid from somewhere more exotic would be preferable to three giants like the North America one. I'd rather see a World Cup in, say, Australia-New Zealand, the Balkans, the Benelux countries (they had a good Euros)? It's only FIFA's greed (refusing to pay tax, gobbling up all the profits) that makes it so expensive to host.

Australia would be able to put on a pretty damn fine WC - the stadiums would not be a problem, and neither would the infrastructure. It's just a case of distance and revenue for FIFA clearly.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23102
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Toby » 14 Jun 2018, 07:44

I imagine Britain will get 2030, with all 4 federations getting in on the act. We're due a tournament more than any other country or region in Europe with maybe the exception of Scandinavia.

I think the regional format is a good one going forward.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66085
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Jun 2018, 10:18

I quietly fancy Cavani or Lukaku as top goal scorer too.
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 29962
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: World Cup 2018 - Rossiya

Postby andymacandy » 14 Jun 2018, 10:28

Diamond Dog wrote:
PENK wrote:
Toby wrote:Spain have got more than enough quality to oversee an issue with the coach going to Real. Think Bobby Robson and Italia 90.


They have just sacked him. Two days before playing Portugal in their first game.



That's a potential meltdown... crazy.

I mean what sort of cunt conducts negotiations about his role after the World Cup, in the week leading up to the first game, doesn't inform the national FA and then announces it on the eve of the tournament? Bold move by the Spanish FA and one I totally agree with.

It could just be a catalyst for the players (who are plenty good enough) to take over - as per Robson 1990, allegedly- and just go and win the World Cup. They're certainly got all the required talent to do so.

Yeah, its funny how often an outside factor can galvanise the squad into that little bit extra. A grievance, or a tragedy.
That said, these days the coaching, and more specifically the tactical organisation, needs to be that much tighter, and they could struggle in that department.
Bless the weather.......Image